Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
tomarseneault
tomarseneault began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil 0.7.4 crash when insert image on OSX 10.9

I am a newbie to Sigil so forgive me is this is something stupid.

I am running Sigil 0.7.4 on OSX 10.9 Mavericks freshly downloaded from the web site. I checked in "About Sigil" and I am running QT 5.2.

my problem is this: When I try to insert a file Sigil crashes. It only happens with Audio files (mp4a is all I have tried), Video and Images work file. It did work the 1st time I inserted a file but crashed each subsequent time. I have used appcleaner to remove the app and reinstall to no avail. I have manually did a find ('find / -name "*[sS]iqil*" -print', newbie to Sigil but been doing *inx for over 20 years) to find any leftover files, found a few in my home directory and got rid of those and reinstalled again, no help. I tried deleting and reloading the audio files, no help. I tried a new document same thing. I also re-downloaded the app and tried again, no help.

Also note, it happens when I try to "Insert File"; not when I "Add File", that works just fine.

I loaded an example file that had the audio file in place already into Sigil, it loaded just file and I could play the audio files.

I am currently just trying to complete a training course on Sigil so I don't have any project "hanging fire" right now, but this is frustrating me. I think I can compete the course with this issue but if it starts happening again to other files I want to know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help yo can be. Let me know if there is anything you need from me.

Tom
tomarseneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Development on Sigil has ceased. In any case, it is an epub2 editor, not an epub3 editor, so support for epub3 functions is very limited, mostly to not removing the epub3 codes as invalid.

Any faults of Sigil are unlikely to be fixed unless a C++ programmer suddenly appears. This is unlikely as the developer of Calibre has added a stand alone editor function to calibre which works quite well. It does not yet have the bells and whistles of Sigil yet, but the pace of development has been rapid. It is in Python for which it is much easier to find coders.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Sigil Issues

Noted Sigil is not function in Mac OSX 10.9.2, apparently the newest update breaks something with it. It crashes upon attempting to open it.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Greetings from the Coast. But it still isn't likely to be fixed because there is no programmer to fix it.

If you need an editor, suggest you use Calibre's edit book feature which can be run separately and does many of the same things. It is currently lacking spell check and clips. Spell check is not so easy, but there should be macro functionality available for Mac, which will take the place of clips. I use PhraseExpress in Windows, but AutoHotKey may be available for the Mac.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
PC version

Luckily I normally just use it for fixing minor errors when on my Mac, but do the bulk of my work on my PC. I am very sad to hear that is no longer being developed at this point! But I figured it would not hurt to make it known that there was an issue

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone

Sigil is written in a version of C. Most of the people who know it work in full time jobs at it, so most of the potential developers have their share of it at work.

There also has been an unfortunate tendency in the past for some people to demand things when they should be asking, considering that John, the developer was doing this because he thought there should be a viable epub editor, not because he could possible get rich doing it. It is open source, so if you know anybody that can wrangle C++ then they might be able to fix it.

Tags
7.4, crash, maverick, sigil