Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
need to format disk before you can use it?

Lately, each time I plug my Sony reader into my computer, I am getting the message: "You need to format this disk before you can use it" and a prompt to do so. This didn't happen previously. Anyone know what might be causing this and how to disable the dialogue box? Thanks.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sounds like the reader's driver for Windows got corrupted or deleted. If that happens I think Windows will view the reader as a USB drive. I've had this happen after a Windows update though rarely, and I also had it happen after I updated the reader firmware. I might also happen if you unplug the reader rather than dismounting it first.

With the reader plugged into the PC, open Device Manager, look for the reader (though it probably won't be listed as a Sony Reader, then delete the driver. Unplug the reader then plug it back in and see if it re-installs the driver correctly.

You can also try unplugging the reader, restarting the PC, then plugging in the reader and see if it re-installs the driver correctly.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
Lately, each time I plug my Sony reader into my computer, I am getting the message: "You need to format this disk before you can use it" and a prompt to do so. This didn't happen previously. Anyone know what might be causing this and how to disable the dialogue box? Thanks.
I have had that before. It did not affect anything - my reader would still be recognized - but the popup message was annoying.

Unfortunately, I have no good advice. One day it started doing it, out of the blue... a couple of days later it stopped. Go figure...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Try deleting the driver, and then shutting down the PC. Then plug in the reader and start the PC again. It will find "new hardware" and, if you're lucky, download and install the correct driver.

I used to have to do that with one of my mp3-players, when Windows 7 was new. It was very annoying.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Windows 7 blows.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert