Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
alexvf
alexvf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
TOC - Categories and articles like Calibre News

Hi,

Almost every Magazine or News source fetched using Calibre comes with a wonderful menu that displays categories on the left and articles on the right.
We can choose a category and browse the article's titles of that category.

Can anyone tell me how can I create such a menu in HTML, so that it will work on my Kindle after converting the HTML to MOBI?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
--
Alex
alexvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Wrong section.

I assume you're referring to reading a downloaded news item on your Kindle when you say, "displays categories on the left and articles on the right." This is a feature of the Kindle and requires the MOBI file to be structured in a particular way. There is no way to have calibre create output using this structure other than through the download new area. Also, there are some issues with the current implementation and how the books behave on the Kindle 3.1 firmware.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
alexvf

Hi user_none,

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none
This is a feature of the Kindle and requires the MOBI file to be structured in a particular way. There is no way to have calibre create output using this structure other than through the download new area.
What I was asking for is help with the structure that you mention.

I want to create a Kindle document myself, using HTML (not using Calibre).
And I was asking if somebody knew how to structure that kind of menu in HTML because I would like to use it in my document.

I would use Calibre only after, to convert the finished HTML to MOBI.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
--
Alex
alexvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You don't structure the HTML in any particular way. You have to tell Kindlegen to generate a periodical using a special flag in the OPF.

see this bug. I've attached a zip file that has an example book. The .ncx and the .opf are what you need to worry about.

The ncx must follow the format:

Code:
<navPoint class="periodical">
    <navPoint class="section" id="1">
        <navPoint class="article" id="1_1" playOrder="1">
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
alexvf

Thanks a lot, user_none!
This is exactly what I was looking for.