Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #136
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmread View Post
Mr. Pocket,

I have my calibre set for Aluratek. However I have not downloaded any of my books that I 'calibred'. I just drag and drop from my laptop to my SD card. I use Calibre to mark read and not read. Can I use the ALP SD card and insert it to my Literati? I can't find it!! I am frantically looking for it.

Calibre question: If my calibre is set for Aluratek, do I have to set a second Calibre for Literati? I currently have only EPUB & .pdf in my Calibre.
Assuming you use Epub files (or PDF) for your ALP, yes, you can just stick the SD card in your literati.

Calibre should be able to detect your literati just fine (though my literati won't recognize drag-and-drop files after syncing to calibre for some reason). When converting specifically for the literati, just set the output to "generic output file". That seems to work the best for me.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #137
mmread
Enthusiast
mmread has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
My USB that came with the Literati works. I am still using Windows XP. The USB from my ALP does not work the Literati. I think the Mini is longer for the Literati then the ALP. My ALP SD card works on the Literati. I found it.

I am having problems downloading to the Literati from Calibre. But again, I have never tried it for my ALP either. I tried drag and drop to the Literati and worked the first time but I can't get it to work again.

Oh, my wifi works great. I just have to keep enabling it when the Literati turns off. I am going to try reading in bed with it to see how the 'lighting' works.
mmread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #138
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (gifted), Ectaco Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerM3 View Post
I didn't know it was possible to buy a Literati reader any more. I thought they were discounted and sold out. Have you seen any for sale in the last month?

If no one is selling or buying, I expect the support and the web site to fade away. Good thing mine is working well

peter
I saw two for sale in a Ross clothing store last weekend for $50 each, but I passed.
demingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #139
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmread View Post
My USB that came with the Literati works. I am still using Windows XP. The USB from my ALP does not work the Literati. I think the Mini is longer for the Literati then the ALP. My ALP SD card works on the Literati. I found it.

I am having problems downloading to the Literati from Calibre. But again, I have never tried it for my ALP either. I tried drag and drop to the Literati and worked the first time but I can't get it to work again.

Oh, my wifi works great. I just have to keep enabling it when the Literati turns off. I am going to try reading in bed with it to see how the 'lighting' works.
I've never tried dragging & dropping with Calibre - I always just click on "Device" when the reader is connected by USB. Haven't had any problems sending books to my Literati this way.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #140
Ophysette
Ophysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Literati
Am learning, or trying to learn about my new literati. I really, really want it to work, but at the moment, I can only access the original 25. I believe I have managed to update correctly, but I am not sure. Having read this forum, I am not sure of the 1st problem. My computer intermittently, and mostly fails to recognize the device. I am one of the tech disadvantaged, so I believe this is problably a bad cable. So, how do I find out what type usb cable to buy, and second, how do I find the version number.

I have a brand new computer, and no wireless.
Ophysette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #141
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophysette View Post
Am learning, or trying to learn about my new literati. I really, really want it to work, but at the moment, I can only access the original 25. I believe I have managed to update correctly, but I am not sure. Having read this forum, I am not sure of the 1st problem. My computer intermittently, and mostly fails to recognize the device. I am one of the tech disadvantaged, so I believe this is problably a bad cable. So, how do I find out what type usb cable to buy, and second, how do I find the version number.

I have a brand new computer, and no wireless.
I don't have my Literati with me at the moment, so I can't address everything, but this sounds like two separate issues. Without wireless, you probably haven't updated the firmware, and until you update, you won't be able to load books from your computer onto the device. If you have a friend or public library* where you can go to get on their wifi network, you should consider that option.

It will probably take two wireless updates to get to the latest firmware revision (Version 2.0 is dated January 19, 2011), with a reboot each time to install the firmware. Please make sure you have either a full battery or have it plugged into a wall socket through this process. I can't recall the exact path to see the revision, but I think from "Home," you should look for something like "settings."

The USB cable you want is generically known as "A to (5-pin) Mini-B". An example can be seen here. Anecdotally, folks are finding that a ferrite choke close to the Literati end of the cable helps with connectivity, so if the cable you find doesn't already include one, you can add it (example here, although that price is way too high. You shouldn't pay more than a dollar each). You may even have other cords sitting around your house from which you can "borrow" a choke.

Once you have your firmware updated, and the Literati mounting as an external disk drive on your PC, I personally recommend that you use Calibre to transfer ebook files.

I hope this helps.

*You will probably not be able to access a wireless network at a Starbucks, hotel or other location that expects you to open a web browser and agree to their terms & conditions before you can log in.

Last edited by curtw; 03-17-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added clarification
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #142
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, it is possible to update without wireless. You may indeed need a different USB cable, or if you have more than one USB input on your computer, try a different one. Directions for updating without wireless are here:
http://help.kobobooks.com/

"Issue: Some Literati customers don't have access to a Wi Fi network and therefore cannot complete any of the device upgrades.

Solution: Use the Literati USB connection and the following steps

1. Plug the eReader into a charger

2. Download v1.9 of the Literati or Lookbook firmware from - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...9/KoboRoot.tgz , and save the file somewhere you will remember

* NOTE: Some browsers will download the file and rename it to KoboRoot.tar. The upgrade will not work with the .tar extension. If this happened with your download, please rename the downloaded file to KoboRoot.tgz

3. Keeping the charger connected, connect the Literati or Lookbook to your computer through the provided USB cable

4. The eReader will appear on your computer as a mass storage device

ON A MAC:

1. Open mass storage device in Finder

2 . Click GO from the top menu

3. Click Go to folder

4. Type in .kobo (include the period).

5. .kobo folder will open

6. Transfer the KoboRoot.tgz file you downloaded to the .kobo folder

7. Once the file has transferred, safely eject the eReader

8. Turn off the eReader

9. Turn on the eReader

10. The eReader will take up to 10 minutes to start up, please be patient and do not reset or power off the eReader in any way.

11. Once the eReader restarts, it will have the latest version (v1.9) installed. You can verify this by pressing the menu button, selecting Settings and looking at the Version number.

ON A PC:

1. Open mass storage device in Windows Explorer

2. Ensure hidden folders are visible (different for different Windows versions)

XP: Go to My Computer > Tools menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Advanced Settings > Hidden Files and Folders > Show hidden files and folders. Press OK all the way out.

Vista and Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab > Click Show Hidden files and folders > OK

3. Open .kobo folder in the mass storage window

4. Transfer the KoboRoot.tgz file you downloaded to the .kobo folder

5. Once file has transferred, safely eject the eReader

6. Turn the eReader off

7. Turn the eReader on

8. The eReader will take up to 10 minutes to start up, please be patient and do not reset or power off the eReader in any way.

9. Once the eReader restarts, it will have the latest version (v1.9) installed. You can verify this by pressing the menu button, selecting Settings and looking at the Version number."

Last edited by Meemo; 03-17-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #143
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
9. Once the eReader restarts, it will have the latest version (v1.9) installed. You can verify this by pressing the menu button, selecting Settings and looking at the Version number."
I have v2.0 released Jan 19th I believe.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #144
Meemo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
I have v2.0 released Jan 19th I believe.
Yes, the newest version is 2.0. That was a cut & paste from the kobo website. For whatever reason neither kobo nor Literati shows that 2.0 is the latest version. Probably too busy working on the new Literati to worry about this one.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #145
Ophysette
Ophysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitOphysette with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thanks, Meemo, Curtw, will thry the suggestions.
Ophysette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #146
BoomerM3
BoomerM3 will become famous soon enoughBoomerM3 will become famous soon enoughBoomerM3 will become famous soon enoughBoomerM3 will become famous soon enoughBoomerM3 will become famous soon enoughBoomerM3 will become famous soon enough

Book Expiration Date

I am using the Literati to read borrowed public library books (Overdrive). Books are downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions on my notebook, then to the Literati.

Digital Editions shows the expiration date of the loan - but I am not able to find that date once the book has been transferred to the Literati. I need to refer to my notebook to see when each book is due.

Is there some place on the Literati where the due date / expiration date is available.

peter
BoomerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #147
annettecat
annettecat began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Finally figured out how to fix the Liberati!!! I returned it and bought a refurb kindle!
Love the kindle, not a single problem. Done!
annettecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #148
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettecat View Post
Finally figured out how to fix the Liberati!!! I returned it and bought a refurb kindle!
Love the kindle, not a single problem. Done!
Glad you like your Kindle. They are very different products. When last you posted about your Literati you were very happy with it on the 22nd of April. I guess something else went wrong.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #149
TonyTerra
TonyTerra began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500,Sony PRS505 & Viewsonic VEB612,Apple 64GB ipad,Sony PRS950
I have just purchased a literati from winners for $42.00 at that price I decided it would be useful for reading magazines and books with color pictures,I find it clumsy to use but for $42.00 cheap.To loaded books etc I have been using what I consider one of the worlds best interfaces CALIBRE it was a little hesitant at first but finally recognised the reader and successfully loaded some magazines in various formats.As far as the internal capacity it only shows approx 200mb but will accept a 8gb SD card.This reader does not compare with my sony 505 or 950.but wil save me from lugging the ipad arround.
TonyTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #150
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
TonyTerra, yes at $42 i would have picked one up also. i also would agree with leaving the big boys home and taking the cheaper Literati. You won't have to worry about it being tossed to and fro, etc. Enjoy!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote