Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Calibre Companion

I suggest that Calibre Companion needs it own calibre Sub-Forum.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I suggest that Calibre Companion needs it own calibre Sub-Forum.

bernie
An interesting idea.

Where do you think this sub-forum should be placed?

Have you asked the developer what he would like? I would think that before asking for a sub-forum consulting chaley the developer about what he wishes to do may be a good first step.

Currently Calibre Companion (CC) has a Sticky thread FAQ in the Calibre/Devices sub-forum and all questions are usually asked and answered in that sub-forum. At the time the reason chaley felt the Calibre/Devices sub-forum (instead of the Related Tools sub-forum or elsewhere) was a good place is because CC connects to calibre as a device.

Still, maybe there is a better more prominent place, talk about this app could be placed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I certainly have no problem with CC having its own subforum. The choice to do it rests with the powers-that-be. I am not totally comfortable pushing for it because I don't want to get into a position where it appears that we are trying to use MobileRead for advertising. Any choice to move forward must be based on benefit to the MobileRead community, not benefit to CC's developers.

I do wonder a bit about the motivation, because that could influence whether a new subforum is created, and if so where. One motivation could be that the traffic level is sufficient that people are finding the posts crowding out other posts of greater interest to them. Another could be that there is sufficient interest in CC to justify concentrating the information into its own collection to make it easier to find. Both could be true.

Another issue: there are other reader app/device integration projects out there. I am thinking of griker's work with iOS apps, and in particular marvin. Recently the authors of Readmill expressed some interest in calibre integration. FBReader, Moon+, and others already integrate (to greater or lesser extent) with calibre's content server. It might be that the best approach is a subforum dedicated to smartphone/tablet integration, named something appropriate. However, it raises two questions: how would this differ from the existing devices subforum, and would it satisfy the "concentrated information" motivation?

Given that CC is joined to calibre's hip, I do think that any new subforum should go under calibre. My concern is discoverability. If a person has trouble finding the forum then the forum is useless to him or her. I don't have a good idea how this should play out.

Final note: we have started a project to move CC's FAQ to MultiPie's website. We have received a lot of feedback telling us that new customers go there first looking for information, and apparently many don't take the second step going from MultiPie's site to MobileRead. Instead they send us email, something we would rather avoid especially since in the vast majority of the cases the question is in the FAQ. We will not add a discussion board to MultiPie's site, instead continuing to use MobileRead for as long as we can.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe there is sufficient interest in CC to justify its own sub-forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Another issue: there are other reader app/device integration projects out there. I am thinking of griker's work with iOS apps, and in particular marvin.
Interesting that you mention Marvin since it has recently had its own sub-forum created under the E-Book Software forum.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Interesting that you mention Marvin since it has recently had its own sub-forum created under the E-Book Software forum.
That is interesting. It hadn't occurred to me to put CC at that level, next to Calibre itself. That would solve the discoverability issue, especially if we leave a sticky in calibre's devices subforum pointing to it.

In the end, this decision must be made by MobileRead's keepers using whatever criteria they think appropriate. I am happy to help them however I can to make the decision, and then to live with whatever they decide.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That is interesting. It hadn't occurred to me to put CC at that level, next to Calibre itself. That would solve the discoverability issue, especially if we leave a sticky in calibre's devices subforum pointing to it.

In the end, this decision must be made by MobileRead's keepers using whatever criteria they think appropriate. I am happy to help them however I can to make the decision, and then to live with whatever they decide.
In that case I vote for a new Calibre Companion forum under the E-Book Software forum. If it gets created I'll even volunteer my services as moderator to help with the cross forum (Calibre to Calibre Companion) housekeeping.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
In that case I vote for a new Calibre Companion forum under the E-Book Software forum. If it gets created I'll even volunteer my services as moderator to help with the cross forum (Calibre to Calibre Companion) housekeeping.
as a mod (and a light weight user )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I would love to see CC get its own sub-forum. As a tablet user it is certainly the program I use (in addition to Calibre) to get and organize my books onto the tablet. It deserves its own place.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I would love to see CC get its own sub-forum. As a tablet user it is certainly the program I use (in addition to Calibre) to get and organize my books onto the tablet. It deserves its own place.
I agree. I've only recently started using CC, and I'm loving it immensely. I'd love to have all the CC info in one place.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre companion