Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2022, 01:12 AM   #1
EranB
EranB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation
Red face Kindle Paperwhite and USB port | Windows 10

Is there a way to transfer ebooks from my Kindle device to the Calibre?
The reason is that I have more ebooks in my device than on my Amazon.com account. Some of the ebooks were sent to my Kindle as a gift and will not show on the Amazon.com's digital media content.
Another issue is that when I connect the Kindle to the PC via USB cable, it goes on charging mode only and will not show as an external drive in the PC. Any idea why?
EranB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ones with DRM won't work on any other Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EranB View Post
The reason is that I have more ebooks in my device than on my Amazon.com account. Some of the ebooks were sent to my Kindle as a gift and will not show on the Amazon.com's digital media content.
This doesn’t make sense to me. If the gift books were purchased on Amazon, you own them just as you’d own (the license for) any book you bought yourself. If the books were sent via Send to Kindle, they’re in your digital content, but as documents, not books.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
EranB

The eBooks were purchased on amazon.com accounts. Not mine though.
The purchaser chose the option to Send books to recipients by entering their email during your checkout or do it from. It is an available option on the checkout page.So the purchase was legit. The eBooks are NOT in my documents folder either. They are ONLY in my Kindle Paperwhite device. I can read the on it in full. Is there any resolution for it?
Old 09-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
EranB

How do you mean any other Kindle?
They work on mine. How can I tell if they are protected by DRM?
I am going to deregister and reset my current Kindle because I am going to send it to Amazon for a trade-in I have been offered. So I assume, when I deregister and reset, all eBooks that are only on the device will be permanently deleted, right?
Advert
Old 09-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't trade it in. Not worth it.
Do not deregister or reset.
I have 4 kindles registered to me.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
EranB

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Don't trade it in. Not worth it.
Do not deregister or reset.
I have 4 kindles registered to me.
The details of the trade-in offers are:
1. I ship it to Amazon. The pay for the shipment.
2. Upon arrival, they give me $25 worth of Gift Card to Amazon.com
3. Additionally, They will give me 20% off of any new Kindle eReader bought on Amazon.com

My old Kindle is very old. 7th Generation. Bought in early 2018.
Compared with all the nice features in the new ones, this an old piece of crap and very inconvenient to work with.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

That's not very old. $25 is less than it's worth.
Also if you buy a not-kindle (some better) you can use it to buy Amazon ebooks and Download for USB transfer.

$25 isn't worth the risk of losing some ebooks either. Admittedly a 7th Gen Basic is poor compared to a 7th gen PW (Maybe PW3?)>
See https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

The 3rd Gen and later let you read KF8/AZW3 ebooks. A 300 dpi (if it's not) or bigger than 6" is good, but a PW3 is just as good to read ebooks as a new 6" Kindle.

Here $25 is only the price of 2 to 4 non-discount paper books.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Also if you buy a not-kindle (some better) you can use it to buy Amazon ebooks and Download for USB transfer.

$25 isn't worth the risk of losing some ebooks either. Admittedly a 7th Gen Basic is poor compared to a 7th gen PW (Maybe PW3?)>

The 3rd Gen and later let you read KF8/AZW3 ebooks. A 300 dpi (if it's not) or bigger than 6" is good, but a PW3 is just as good to read ebooks as a new 6" Kindle.

From the details under the OP's username, I think this is a PW3, which is a great ereader. I would recommend that if Eran wants a new ereader, that they keep the Paperwhite, maybe buy a Kobo Clara or Libra 2. The paperwhite could then be the target device for downloads via USB (as you have suggested) then, after stripping the DRM and converting, these books can be put on the Kobo.

If the OP is determined to sell the device, they go for much more than £25 on ebay, provide it works and is not blacklisted. I bought one for £60 a few years ago.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
My old Kindle is very old. 7th Generation. Bought in early 2018.
Compared with all the nice features in the new ones, this an old piece of crap and very inconvenient to work with.
I'm afraid that you will probably find that the replacement will be "a new piece of crap and very inconvenient to work with" as well. But there are a few minor enhancements in newer models (better water resistance, etc.), and one of those features might be important to you. So go for it if you want.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
EranB

Quote:

You misunderstood the trade-in deal. It is not just a $25.00 Amazon Gift Card but, in addition, a 20% OFF of any new Kindle bought on amazon.com
Old 09-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
You misunderstood the trade-in deal. It is not just a $25.00 Amazon Gift Card but, in addition, a 20% OFF of any new Kindle bought on amazon.com
If the total amount you'd gain isn't the $ equivalent of approx £75, this isn't worth it. Also take into account the books you'll lose. You'd be better off looking at Kobo ereaders and keeping the kindle in order to buy ebooks from Amazon to put on the Kobo.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:40 AM   #13
EranB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If the total amount you'd gain isn't the $ equivalent of approx £75, this isn't worth it. Also take into account the books you'll lose. You'd be better off looking at Kobo ereaders and keeping the kindle in order to buy ebooks from Amazon to put on the Kobo.
I am in the U.S. so my currency is USD.
I will reach about $50 worth of benefits, assuming I buy a new one in the range of $125

Why would I lose any eBooks?, they are all saved in my Amazon account under 'Digital Content'. I will just transfer them to the new Kindle. So there is no loss here.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:12 AM   #14
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
it only shows it in docs if you use the send to option. i could be wrong but this should in theory go to your purchased books not docs.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:14 AM   #15
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Ones with DRM won't work on any other Kindle.
they might do if both kindles are used on the same account. then you search for book and deliver to that kindle
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, cloud, usb