Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question about the Kindle Keyboard's battery

Someone is advertising for sale a Kindle Keyboard. He says, "Roughly, I'd say with 30 minutes of reading a day I'll charge it once a month." Assuming he lets the battery drain to near zero, that's 15 hours of reading time, or probably more since he likely charges it with the battery still having some juice.

I'd like to have a Kindle with audio, but I am dubious about his claim and thus his honesty. Is it at all credible that a device from so many years ago would still have a battery in that condition? (He doesn't say anything about his usage over the years (such as "hardly used") other than the battery claim.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'd say he's probably full of BS.

That may have been the case years ago when the reader first came out. In fact, he's probably quoting the promotional material handed out when the reader first became available.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with Dr. Drib--it does sound like he's probably quoting the promotional material. The seller may have had the battery replaced with a newer battery recently, but if that were the case, I would think he'd disclose that.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
flybor
flybor began at the beginning.

Device: None
The batteries on Kindle Keyboards are really great. I got a couple of these from eBay recently specifically because of the battery life (they have twice as large battery as later Kindles). Both were in barely used condition, for less than $20. The battery is excellent on both of them. Although I have not measured it, I would estimate it to be at least 10 hours. Probably even more. I read for 30 min on each of them daily, sometimes more, and charge them very rarely, don't even remember when the last time was - definitely more than 2 weeks ago.

I also bought a new sealed Kindle 5 non-touch and its battery is noticeably worse. It discharges more than KK3 when it is just in sleep mode and takes much longer to get back to full charge.

So, for KK3, I came to a conclusion that even though the battery itself is 6-7 years old, if the device has not been used much, it still works great. They key is to evaluate prior usage and stay away if it is unknown or can't be trusted.

Back in October, I bought a KK3 on eBay which was described as "New, open box". However, it had some minor wear on it and also the box was not its original box (different serial number). I returned it as incorrectly described at seller's expense per eBay policy. The seller was clearly lying, alternating between "I don't know anything about this unit, this is how I got it" to "This unit is in excellent condition, the best I have, - why are you unhappy". Since then, I was able to get two new KK3s for my family, one was sealed ($43, with 3G) and another new open box but truly unused ($26; Amazon still gives you full 1-year warranty when you register it for the 1st time). Everybody is happy with their device.
flybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_D View Post
Someone is advertising for sale a Kindle Keyboard. He says, "Roughly, I'd say with 30 minutes of reading a day I'll charge it once a month." Assuming he lets the battery drain to near zero, that's 15 hours of reading time, or probably more since he likely charges it with the battery still having some juice.

I'd like to have a Kindle with audio, but I am dubious about his claim and thus his honesty. Is it at all credible that a device from so many years ago would still have a battery in that condition? (He doesn't say anything about his usage over the years (such as "hardly used") other than the battery claim.
No, he is not full of it. I read probably one hour to two hours a day and rarely had to charge it for at least 3 weeks if in airplane mode. The only time I had to charge it more frequently is when I increased my reading time like when traveling. I was disappointed that the Voyage didn't have such long a life but must be the light.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If used with a little regularity, the battery goes on for a very long time. Mine currently allows me to read about 8 hours before I have to recharge down from 10 hours. Unfortunately, the switch is starting to fail, so it probably won't last out much longer.

My brother gave me his kindle keyboard and that battery didn't last long at all because he left it drain and it stayed that way for 2 years.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote