Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Sainsbury's ebook store bites the dust

TL;DR: Sainsbury's is selling all their ebook customers to Kobo, the vaccuum cleaner of the ebook store world.

Quote:
Dear Customer,
We are writing to tell you about an important change to Sainsbury’s Entertainment on Demand.

Over the last four years we have enjoyed providing our customers with eBooks, MP3 music, digital magazines, and movies and TV on demand. We've made some great progress and learnt a lot about the digital entertainment market. However, following a detailed review of our service we have made the difficult decision to close Sainsbury's Entertainment on Demand and focus on our core businesses.

We'd like to make the process for you as straightforward as possible. Below you will find details of what will be happening and when, for each entertainment product area.

Movies & TV

As of now you can no longer buy, rent or watch any movie or TV content. We will refund you for any movies or TV content you've bought to own, as well as any active rentals you have. Any rentals that fall outside of either their 48-hour viewing period or 30-day active viewing window will not be refunded. We'll let you know of any refunds due and how they will be made by 15th October 2016.

eBooks

As of 1st October 2016 you will no longer be able to buy any eBooks from us although you will be able to continue reading eBooks on our apps until 30th November 2016. On 1st December 2016 the site will close and our reading apps will no longer be supported.

You will have the opportunity to transfer your eBook library to Kobo, a leading global eBook provider, who will support your eBook library in accordance with their terms and conditions. If you don't already have a Kobo account you will need to set one up. We will e-mail you by 25th October 2016 explaining how this will work and what you will need to do. We will not be issuing any refunds for eBook purchases.

Digital Magazines

As of 1st October 2016 you will no longer be able to buy digital magazines from us although you will be able to continue reading digital magazines on our apps until 30th November 2016. On 1st December 2016 the site will close and our reading apps will no longer be supported. We will refund all digital magazine purchases, we'll let you know by email of any refunds due and how they will be made by 15th October 2016.

MP3 Music

As of 1st October 2016 you will no longer be able to buy music from us although you will be able to continue to listen to music on our apps until 30th November 2016. On 1st December 2016 when our site closes, our music apps will no longer be supported and you will not be able to download your music library from us. We strongly recommend that you download your music purchases before the end of November so that you can play them on an alternative digital music platform (e.g. iTunes or Google Play). We'll email you reminders as we get closer to the end of November. We will not be issuing any refunds for MP3 music purchases.

Thank you for your support and custom over the last four years. We understand that this is disappointing news and are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you need any further information, please visit our FAQs where further help is on hand.

Yours sincerely,

Sainsbury’s Entertainment on Demand

20th September 2016
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Just had this email.
Least it will be a painless transition to Kobo.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Rather disappointing because, of late, they have been pretty competitive on price.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Rather disappointing because, of late, they have been pretty competitive on price.
Which might be why they are getting out.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
Just had this email.
Didn't Kobo give out £5 vouchers to previous migrants? I remember something like that with the Sony transition, and the Waterstones transition.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Didn't Kobo give out £5 vouchers to previous migrants? I remember something like that with the Sony transition, and the Waterstones transition.
Yes they did, I was a Nook transfer, nothing moved over though as all my books came originally from Fictionwise. I never spent the £5 though, I only read MM Romance as Sainsburys don't sell that genre.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Weren't Sainsbury's the ones who swallowed up Nook UK customers? I wish Kobo would snag Nook US customers, alas we seem doomed to ride out Nook until B&N shuts down, and who knows if they'll bother migrating anything then.

Well welcome aboard new Kobo folks. You're coming in at a good time, Kobo just released two new devices.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Just off to add the books on my Sainsbury's Wish List to my Amazon account. Just wish Kobo would add this functionality, but I suppose that's too much to ask.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
Just had this email.
Yeah, as it has been for everybody else who's e-book service has sold out to Kobo.

'Least I have de-drmed my books so don't care what Sainsbury does to them (though thanks to them for the heads up, because there's still one I haven't downloaded).
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #10
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Well welcome aboard new Kobo folks. You're coming in at a good time, Kobo just released two new devices.
LOL. I have been eyeing the Aura H2O... Hard to justify when my Sony just won't die, though, even though its software is shit.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Man, this was the only reason I signed up for a nectar card, and I'm a little short of being able to afford the book I want. I'm not sure I'll quite have the points by the end of the month, either. That's annoying.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I left working for Sainsbury's just in time I think
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Never heard of them, so I guess I'm not missing anything.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #14
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Weren't Sainsbury's the ones who swallowed up Nook UK customers? I wish Kobo would snag Nook US customers [...]
This! In contrast, I rather liked buying ebooks from Sainsbury's and am sorry to bid them adieu.
Here's TechCrunch's article on the subject: "Sainsbury’s exits digital entertainment, hands over e-book business to Kobo".
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #15
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes they did, I was a Nook transfer, nothing moved over though as all my books came originally from Fictionwise. I never spent the £5 though, I only read MM Romance as Sainsburys don't sell that genre.
Josie you might want to see if that £5 is still valid... Kobo has MM Romance.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote