Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #31
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I wish I could give karma to Amazon!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #32
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Outrageous decision. I'm sure that Amazon will be violating several inclusion laws. How can they even think of discriminating against illiterate authors like that?

</sarc>
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #33
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I wonder how many times Finnegans Wake will get flagged
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #34
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
That's good and not surprising. It takes up staff time to have to refund the books that readers don't want because of the many, many errors. I've returned 3 books for that reason since I bought my first kindle (2009 or 2010).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
That's good and not surprising. It takes up staff time to have to refund the books that readers don't want because of the many, many errors. I've returned 3 books for that reason since I bought my first kindle (2009 or 2010).
Well, I don't know about that; I'd imagine it's automated. Hell, if Amazon doesn't have that automated, who does? But nonetheless, it's an interesting development.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #36
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I don't know about that; I'd imagine it's automated. Hell, if Amazon doesn't have that automated, who does? But nonetheless, it's an interesting development.

Hitch

As many will know (it's mentioned on the Amazon Order email even) you can "Return for refund" using the automation in "Manage Your Content" in the first 7 days after purchase (14 days in UK).

Some have had this withdrawn for using it too often or don't know. These will take up Customer Service call time, totals for which Amazon doubtless study closely.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
As many will know (it's mentioned on the Amazon Order email even) you can "Return for refund" using the automation in "Manage Your Content" in the first 7 days after purchase (14 days in UK).

Some have had this withdrawn for using it too often or don't know. These will take up Customer Service call time, totals for which Amazon doubtless study closely.
Yes; I meant that generally, the return and refund of the monies is automated. I know that the books can be returned via button-pushing. ;-)

I inferred that Tarana may have thought that all the refunds required staff time, like in a department store. However, I would add that a lot of Kindle readers don't use that functionality--they call Amazon to process those types of returns.

Heck, not everybody uses the automated anythings. I was startled this week to have a person working with me on something unrelated to the books say something to the effect that she stopped reading on her Kindle...because the print was too small. And no--this isn't some 95-y.o. This is a woman working as tech support in an online business. Yes, really. She didn't know that Kindles have resizeable text.

So...I think, Little.Egret, that we cannot assume that the bulk of returners use the automated functions as much as we ourselves do. I believe that would be an assumption that would have a lot of room for error in it.

Hitch
Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #38
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:

Hitch
It is automated NOW. The automation also only works for so long so if you didn't get to your book within a certain period, you still have to involve Customer Service. In addition, you get pi$$ed off customers who think it's AMAZON's fault for not editing these ebooks.

Also, as you point out, even smart people are stupid.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-27-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It is automated NOW. The automation also only works for so long so if you didn't get to your book within a certain period, you still have to involve Customer Service. In addition, you get pi$$ed off customers who think it's AMAZON's fault for not editing these ebooks.

Also, as you point out, even smart people are stupid.
Exactly, on both fronts.

Hitch
Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
But it's going to take up MORE staff time--at least I think it will--to organize and verify complaints about specific mistakes in books, to contact the authors, and to follow up.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #41
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But it's going to take up MORE staff time--at least I think it will--to organize and verify complaints about specific mistakes in books, to contact the authors, and to follow up.
I do think 'warnings' on sales pages will make Amazon look like an a**, but as far as staff time for 'verification', they've already been doing the error reports/emails to authors for quite a long time. Just need to add a button o'shame...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I do think 'warnings' on sales pages will make Amazon look like an a**, but as far as staff time for 'verification', they've already been doing the error reports/emails to authors for quite a long time. Just need to add a button o'shame...
Hey, Catlady:

Yes, it will, indubitably, take more time. Amazon's organized their "bad stuff" page ( https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1MMQ0JHRBEINX ). As mitford13 said, they're already doing all of this. They simply have to add the "bad stuff" button. W

hat they will be doing that's new is the inevitable emails back/forth from offended authors, explaining that Jethro has a twang, or that Sonny really "tahks dat way," or {insert creative umbrage explanation here}.

I have to confess...much like Slushpilehell, I WISH I WISH I WISH I had a secret spy in that office. I'd give a LOT to be able to read some of these explanations, I really would.

I know, I know, I know. I suck, beyond redemption. But when you've plowed through 5,000 self-pubbed books in order to assess them, quote them, figure out what needs technological fixing, then you get to look down on me. Not before!

Hitch
Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #43
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Hey, Catlady:

Yes, it will, indubitably, take more time. Amazon's organized their "bad stuff" page ( https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1MMQ0JHRBEINX ). As mitford13 said, they're already doing all of this. They simply have to add the "bad stuff" button. W

hat they will be doing that's new is the inevitable emails back/forth from offended authors, explaining that Jethro has a twang, or that Sonny really "tahks dat way," or {insert creative umbrage explanation here}.

I have to confess...much like Slushpilehell, I WISH I WISH I WISH I had a secret spy in that office. I'd give a LOT to be able to read some of these explanations, I really would.

I know, I know, I know. I suck, beyond redemption. But when you've plowed through 5,000 self-pubbed books in order to assess them, quote them, figure out what needs technological fixing, then you get to look down on me. Not before!

Hitch
Let me go find a dozen more self-published books.
Oh wait, I don't want your job.
And I would never look down on you.
I noticed one author made a standard but my budget can't afford editing. Now he/she may be good, but I would ask why are you hurting yourself by putting out "not ready for primetime" books.
First impressions are lasting.
So to any poor authors that are reading this: save your pennies, work at a menial job, quit any bad habits or vices, and remember this is your career we are talking about. If your first book is crap, readers won't bother with a second.
Buying books is a luxury not a necessity. (Ok yes, I know some of us need books, but that doesn't mean we will waste our money on bad books.)
So avoid the bad reputation and be professional.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Let me go find a dozen more self-published books.
Oh wait, I don't want your job.
And I would never look down on you.
I noticed one author made a standard but my budget can't afford editing. Now he/she may be good, but I would ask why are you hurting yourself by putting out "not ready for primetime" books.
First impressions are lasting.
So to any poor authors that are reading this: save your pennies, work at a menial job, quit any bad habits or vices, and remember this is your career we are talking about. If your first book is crap, readers won't bother with a second.
Buying books is a luxury not a necessity. (Ok yes, I know some of us need books, but that doesn't mean we will waste our money on bad books.)
So avoid the bad reputation and be professional.
I'm with you there. And while we're at it: they don't even have to pay an editor, if they are simply willing to invest a little time and effort. First, they can buy Brown and King on Self-Editing: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Editing-F...dp/0060545690/ . Second, they can act like real-grown-up writers, and JOIN a BLOODY CRITIQUE GROUP. Spend some time trading critiques with other writers; read their crap out loud, and suffer the slings and arrows of other writers' input.

To my mind, the single biggest loss in self-pubbing is the omission of a critique group and/or writing group. It's a writer's rite of passage (along with all the OTHER things that self-pubbing omits: writer's courses, seminars, etc.) and it also provides a TON of editorial polishing that you only get by rubbing up against the coarse edges of other people's opinions.

Oh, well.

Hitch
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I'm with you there. And while we're at it: they don't even have to pay an editor, if they are simply willing to invest a little time and effort. First, they can buy Brown and King on Self-Editing: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Editing-F...dp/0060545690/ . Second, they can act like real-grown-up writers, and JOIN a BLOODY CRITIQUE GROUP. Spend some time trading critiques with other writers; read their crap out loud, and suffer the slings and arrows of other writers' input.

To my mind, the single biggest loss in self-pubbing is the omission of a critique group and/or writing group. It's a writer's rite of passage (along with all the OTHER things that self-pubbing omits: writer's courses, seminars, etc.) and it also provides a TON of editorial polishing that you only get by rubbing up against the coarse edges of other people's opinions.

Oh, well.

Hitch
"But I has an English degree and don't need no editor or book."
Yes, that was an actual excuse.
Oh heck one of the worst books I ever read was an unedited novel by an English professor.
No, he had not shown it to anyone before publishing.

Agreeing with you on the critique group.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote