Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #991
LERL
LERL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
select Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
MfgTool (see my "Select Boot" thread) can replace fastboot mode, but somebody needs to promote an effort to get such features configured for supported Kindles.
Can you please supply a link to the thread re Select Boot.
LERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #992
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERL View Post
Can you please supply a link to the thread re Select Boot.
There is a sticky thread at the top of these index pages with all of that information.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #993
rafikius
Enthusiast
rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3 3G
Short time of flashing

I could not revive my kindle 3 3G in any way so decided to debrick it.

Everything went OK till the screen informing that flashing can take from 1 -3 hours. I chose next and it lasted no more than few seconds.

Is it normal? or indicates the kindle flash memory is dead ?
rafikius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #994
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is the normal indication that the flashing did not work.

Do you have the serial port connector installed?
(It is a thin board that slips into the lower cover light connector.)
Old 10-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #995
rafikius
Enthusiast
rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Mamma mia! ;-)

Try I as might not to be a greenhorn I can not find any other port than usb.
There exists 2 thiny "holes" on the left side of the Kindle but nothing more discernible.
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #996
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafikius View Post
Mamma mia! ;-)

Try I as might not to be a greenhorn I can not find any other port than usb.
There exists 2 thiny "holes" on the left side of the Kindle but nothing more discernible.
Those, they are the connectors for the optional cover light, the lower one.

Use the Master Index (linked to in "Where do I start" sticky) to navigate the K3 -> serial port -> threads and posts here on subject.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #997
rafikius
Enthusiast

Thanks for your time.
may I use a bit of your patience to pay a question?
if so...
Is there any chance that it is a battery issue?
I can not get the green battery light, regardless the charging time.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #998
knc1
Going Viral

Yes it is possible.
But a lot of K3 have "just died" for no known reason.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #999
rafikius
Enthusiast

I managed to borrow a battery from a working device and place it in the bricked kindle.
The borrowed kindle works fine with the battery of the bricked one so the battery is not the root cause of the problem :-(.

To the broken kindle with a "new" battery I applied Kubrick but now I can not get the device enter the "usb downloader" mode :-(
Is it the result of the yesterdays' failed flashing attempt ?

EDIT: I got the devic e into the "usb downloader" mode, but flashing again took 5 seconds :-(.

Last edited by rafikius; 10-06-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: my mistake
Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #1000
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafikius View Post
... EDIT: I got the devic e into the "usb downloader" mode, but flashing again took 5 seconds :-(.
A 5-second flash is a failure (Kubrick reports false positives).

In my experience, that is not necessarily the kindle's fault. Try a different USB cable, a different USB port, or a different computer. Kubrick has this problem with some of my computers -- perhaps a problem with USB chipset support?

Let us know if trying different hardware works for you.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #1001
rafikius
Enthusiast

Quote:
perhaps a problem with USB chipset support?
Once I'm back home I'll make a Kubrick bootable pendrive and will try from a PC.
As all of the trials I did were done with a lap and moreover after Ur msg I realized I have automatically plugged the kindle into its USB3 chipstet.

Thanks for pooring a bit of honey into my heart
(btw. is it propper or at leat understandable proverb for a native eng speaker?)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #1002
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
USB3 ports have been a known problem with USB Downloader mode, and with other devices as well, depending on chipset...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #1003
rafikius
Enthusiast

Quote:
Let us know if trying different hardware works for you.
I tried different cables with different computers.
I always got the same result.

To exclude total hardware failure I can do 2 things:
only:

1.Prepare the USB kubrick stick

2. Use the FTDI cable restore way

I started to prepare the USB bootable stick and I'm stuck. :-(

The instruction says:
"STEP 1:
- Write kubrick-usb-base.img to your USB stick. How to do this depends on your OS and installed Software, but here are a few hints:
* On Windows, you can use http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

STEP 2:
- Download and unzip an ISO (CD or DVD) image which supports the
Kindle(s) that you want to debrick.
- Copy the "boot.iso" from that download into the existing "efi/boot/"
directory on the Kubrick USB stick. Do not create or modify other
files or directories on the USB stick "

Step 1 is no problem I recorded the image on my USB stick with the win32diskimager.

The trouble is the second step.
How can I copy the "boot.iso" to the USB stick when neither my Win 7 nor PointLinuks can see it.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #1004
samuelgb
samuelgb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
First of all, thanks for this.

Trying to debrick a Kindle 4 here from a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. I have burned the first option (the .iso contained in that .zip) in a DVD with Windows options and it seems fine (or shall I use another programme to burn the DVD?). I can access the BIOS and everything seems enabled.

How do I boot the computer from the DVD? Shall I try another option?

Thanks in advance ;-)
samuelgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #1005
knc1
Going Viral

"How to boot from a DVD" in a Lenovo laptop sounds like a question for a Lenovo forum.
Google most likely knows also.