Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #46
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi,

may I ask you what's your screen resolution?

thx,
Gerhard
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #47
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
I notice the same things mentioned by jackie_w (though I think they are minor issues), and my screen resolution is 1680x1050.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #48
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for responding. My screen resolution is 1920x1200.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Can a mod please make this thread a sticky?

Thank you
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #50
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Thanks for this AWESOME piece of software. I am loving it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #51
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Thank you
Seconded
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #52
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Seconded
Done
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #53
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Hi!

So if you want to make the best out of your 6 inch try BRISS ;-)
Hi, laborg, I got the following error when try to run the program on my Windows XP machine:

" Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file"
I believe this is because the code was compiled on a new version of java and I only have C:\jdk1.5.0_05 installed which might be outdated. To make sure that both the versoins are same, can you let me know which version of jdk should I download? It's been quite a while since I last used my jdk and I don't seem to be able to find the new jdk downloads with my old bookmark now. Many thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #54
Sylver
Addict

OK, I downloaded jdk1.6 and it seems to be working fine. Good application. One more thing, I split each portrait into two landscape pages, however my nook has no landscape mode, so it still renders the landscapes as portraits hence half of the real estate is wasted and it is still kinda small. I was wondering if there is any option in the app that can turn the resulting cropped landscapes counter clock wise 90 degrees (into portrait again) so the nook can truly use the cropped version. Many thanks, good job.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #55
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
OK, I downloaded jdk1.6 and it seems to be working fine. Good application. One more thing, I split each portrait into two landscape pages, however my nook has no landscape mode, so it still renders the landscapes as portraits hence half of the real estate is wasted and it is still kinda small. I was wondering if there is any option in the app that can turn the resulting cropped landscapes counter clock wise 90 degrees (into portrait again) so the nook can truly use the cropped version. Many thanks, good job.
Luma made the same suggestion on the first page of the thread. I hope Laborg gets around to implementing this, but in the meantime, you could make use of slex's advice to luma and use pdftk to rotate the pages after using BRISS.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
you could make use of slex's advice to luma and use pdftk to rotate the pages after using BRISS.
thanks a lot, frabjous.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #57
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
yes, BRISS doesn't do a "hard" crop, but just sets the dimension of the viewing boxes the right way.
Ah, I have some issues with this, I cropped very carefully so the page break is between the two lines in the middle of the original page, the resulting PDF looks good on my PC and each following page connects well to the previous, however when I load it to the nook, there is always one or two lines overlapping that I always need to skip that line that I already read. Is there any way to put an option (a check box or the like) to force a "hard" crop? or is the hard crop physically not possible?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #58
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Interesting, when I try and activate this command java -jar briss-0.0.8.jar
my screen flashes and the routine then closes....

I'm running Win7 64bit ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #59
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi!

@geoffc: is there any kind of error message? whats your java version?

@rotation.
At the moment i'm looking for an appartment and my phd demands quite some time, but it in the near future rotation is doable. (still have to make my thougths about how to make it user friendly)...

@Sylver
I'm sorry, but I don't think that a hard crop is possible (at least not in a affordable time). Briss is only a hack I did in a couple of days utilizing two really nice open-source pdf libraries. I hope in future that ebook-readers will get better pdf-renderers, otherwise I don't see a chance for solving your issues.
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #60
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Hi!

@geoffc: is there any kind of error message? whats your java version?
Version 6 - downloaded earlier this year. No error message given everything flashes very quickly on the screen - too quickly to make anything out.....

Not to worry ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf