Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 AM   #1
Beltonmike
Enthusiast
Beltonmike began at the beginning.

Device: Illumina XL HD
illumina XL HD not loading covers

Is anyone else having problems with loading books from Calibre via usb to Illumina XL HD? I had to fiddle with the settings in Calibre to get it to work but the book covers don't show on device. I have also tried copying a folder with book and cover, and downloading from calibre compagnon but neither shows the cover
Beltonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You need to put the covers into the book files using calibre's "polish" function or the "Modify epub" plugin.

A similar problem was discussed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293503
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Thank you. I'll check that out
Old 01-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

I tried with both 'polish' and 'modify' but still no covers. They would seem to be there because when I use calibre or another program to open the files on the reader the cover shows. Any other ideas please?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltonmike View Post
I tried with both 'polish' and 'modify' but still no covers. They would seem to be there because when I use calibre or another program to open the files on the reader the cover shows. Any other ideas please?
If you can see a cover after using Polish..., the cover is embedded and properly flagged.

Then this is a device issue. It has unique requirements (does not extract the cover for a bookshelf browser) or it simply behaves like a Kindle and does not open on the cover, but requires you to turn pages BACK to reach it.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you can see a cover after using Polish..., the cover is embedded and properly flagged.

Then this is a device issue. It has unique requirements (does not extract the cover for a bookshelf browser) or it simply behaves like a Kindle and does not open on the cover, but requires you to turn pages BACK to reach it.
Thanks for the reply, I did manage to have some at one point but not anymore, Because it wasn't playing nice with Calibre I created a new folder to send the books to and dumbly deleted the other ones but I am starting to think that it might be a folder issue. Is a factory reset likely to restore the original folders?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
After you polish the books you would need to delete the books from your device and send them via calibre again to your device. I send my books to /mnt/sdcard/Books/CC/ and my device picks up the covers fine. Mind you the display of covers was not instantaneous the device seems to get the covers from the books and indexing the books takes time. I only place them in the CC sub directory because I use Calibre Companion otherwise I would probably have sent the books to the Books directory.

When your device is connected to calibre you can configure the device to tell calibre where to send your books by following Kovids directions below. Since you are transferring files via USB have calibre send your books to the /Books folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sometimes they need to be put in a special folder, which you can tell calibre to do by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting configure this device.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2018 at 06:37 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
After you polish the books you would need to delete the books from your device and send them via calibre again to your device. I send my books to /mnt/sdcard/Books/CC/ and my device picks up the covers fine. Mind you the display of covers was not instantaneous the device seems to get the covers from the books and indexing the books takes time. I only place them in the CC sub directory because I use Calibre Companion otherwise I would probably have sent the books to the Books directory.

When your device is connected to calibre you can configure the device to tell calibre where to send your books by following Kovids directions below.
Thank you, my problem was that I made a new folder in the "main" directory not in "mnt". Now that I have changed that it works as it is supposed to with covers showing! Thankyou again
Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

And now 6 hours later everything apart from "reading now" has disappeared from the home screen ( I have it setup for recently added ) I attach a screenshot of the file structure If their is solmething that clashes please say, I am a little suspicious of the fact that there are 2 sdcards /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	illumina file system.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	161271  

Last edited by Beltonmike; 01-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:21 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now 6 hours later everything apart from "reading now" has disappeared from the home screen ( I have it setup for recently added ) I attach a screenshot of the file structure If their is solmething that clashes please say, I am a little suspicious of the fact that there are 2 sdcards /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard
I recently performed an update on my device but attached is a screenshot of my file structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icarus_file_structure.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	161296  
Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #11
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Quote:
I recently performed an update on my device but attached is a screenshot of my file structure.
Again thank you. I've done the update and everything seems to be working ..... for now! I still have the extra folders in the root directory but "if it isn't broken don't fix it" would seem to aply
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #12
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Caught in the act!
While reading the screen flashed then opened the home screen and all the books on the "recently added" line had disappeared, the "reading now" part still shows the book I am reading with the cover. I have just opened another book (via filemanager) and it also shows up correctly in "reading now" but nothing in "recently added".
I have now reinstalled the update and deleted the folders that don't appear in DoctorOhh's screenshot and reinstalled the books to /mnt/sdcard/books. The books are there again with covers but a new folder "/mnt" has been added. I deleted the /mnt folder and told calibre to send direct to the /Books folder on the root directory and I now have a mixture of books some with and some without covers. As to the stability I'll just have to wait and see
Needless to say I am very confused!!!
Old 01-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I have now reinstalled the update and deleted the folders that don't appear in DoctorOhh's screenshot and reinstalled the books to /mnt/sdcard/books.
/mnt/sdcard/books is the true device location, but when you connect via USB the path looks like /Books

Quote:
The books are there again with covers but a new folder "/mnt" has been added. I deleted the /mnt folder and told calibre to send direct to the /Books folder on the root directory and I now have a mixture of books some with and some without covers. As to the stability I'll just have to wait and see
/Books is the correct location I would tell calibre and is the location where my books are located if viewed via USB. I never transfer books via USB. I use Calibre Companion to connect to calibre wirelessly so the internal path to /Books on the device is /mnt/sdcard/Books. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

Quote:
/mnt/sdcard/books is the true device location, but when you connect via USB the path looks like /Books

/Books is the correct location I would tell calibre and is the location where my books are located if viewed via USB. I never transfer books via USB. I use Calibre Companion to connect to calibre wirelessly so the internal path to /Books on the device is /mnt/sdcard/Books. Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you I thought it might be something like that. I've writen to Icarus ... again. Maybe they will have an idea why the covers aren't showing but they aren't terribly good at answering
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #15
Beltonmike
Enthusiast

This from Icarus, I'm not convinced!

Download the Adobe Digital Editions software and install it. When you install adobe digital editions ( ADE ) for the first time , you will be required to authorise your pc for once with your Adobe ID. You can create an Adobe ID via www.adobe.com

After you have created the adobe ID, you will connect your ereader with your pc, and authorise with your same Adobe ID. For most of the ereaders ADE will detect your ereader as soon as you connect your ereader when turned on. You will be requested to authorise.

When you have followed all steps ( just 1 time) you can download and transfer e-books to your ereader via ADE.

Remember : The acms files which you receive when you click the download link can not just be saved to your pc, you will need to open them in ADE, because only then your secured book will be in epub format, after this you can transfer your book to your ereader and you will be able to read it.

I did a factory reset via the android settings, which looks just the same as the Icarus reset, without ticking the delete everything box, and lo and behold my books showed up with their covers! I'm now starting to think that it may have come from one of the apps that I had installed. I will reinstall them over the next couple of days to see if that is the case

Tags
book covers, calibre, illumina xl hd