Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question Calibre - Colour my Star yes/no Column?

I have managed thanks to you guys to change my read column to blue.
Which is just great and makes browsing my books so much easier.

I have a yes/no column called read.
Is it possible to change the colour of that when I mark a book read?
Instead of it just saying yes the same as other yes /no columns I have?
As they all are green.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Jo69 - use a column icon, you must supply the icons, it's to the right of column colouring in Prefs->L&F, you may have to tap a chevron, or make window wider to see it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-31-2017 at 03:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Jo69 - use a column icon, you must supply the icons, it's to the right of column colouring in Prefs->L&F, you may have to tap a chevron, or make window wider to see it.

BR
Thanks.
Sounds easy when you say it but confusing for me sorry
Is it possible for you to show me with attachments maybe?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Thanks.
Sounds easy when you say it but confusing for me sorry
Is it possible for you to show me with attachments maybe?
Sure

First I set up a have-read/Have Read column which is type Yes/No, then I entered 'Y' in that column for the first book, and 'N' for the second book. By default the column is displayed as a 'green tick' and a 'red cross' respectively.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	161212

But let's assume I don't like the green tick and red cross, perhaps because I have several other Yes/No columns, so I decide i want my have_read/Have Read column to show a black lightning bolt for 'Y' and a black cloud for 'N'. Here are the column icon rules to do that:

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	161213

They are simple rules. One could combine the two rules into one via a template, but that would add obscurity for the sake of brevity.

And here is the result:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	161214

Hope that helps.

BR
Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Sure

First I set up a have-read/Have Read column which is type Yes/No, then I entered 'Y' in that column for the first book, and 'N' for the second book. By default the column is displayed as a 'green tick' and a 'red cross' respectively.

Attachment 161212

But let's assume I don't like the green tick and red cross, perhaps because I have several other Yes/No columns, so I decide i want my have_read/Have Read column to show a black lightning bolt for 'Y' and a black cloud for 'N'. Here are the column icon rules to do that:

Attachment 161213

They are simple rules. One could combine the two rules into one via a template, but that would add obscurity for the sake of brevity.

And here is the result:

Attachment 161214

Hope that helps.

BR
Thank you Am going to print that out and try it now Fingers crossed lol
But where do I find the icons? Are they pc icons I may have?

Spending day on pc as so very cold

Last edited by Jo69; 01-07-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thank you Am going to print that out and try it now Fingers crossed lol
But where do I find the icons? Are they pc icons I may have?
Just search for 'free icons'.

You don't want .ico files as such, what you want is 128 pixel square .png files.

This is quite a good site ==>> https://findicons.com/pack. But not everything there is free.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-07-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Just search for 'free icons'.

You don't want .ico files as such, what you want is 128 pixel square .png files.

This is quite a good site ==>> https://findicons.com/pack. But not everything there is free.

BR
Thank you All mine are ico.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Icons have been around for a lot longer than Microsoft (who own the .ico patents), Greek and Russian Orthodox churches are stuffed full of them.

An icon is a visual representation of an object, scene, person or abstraction produced on a surface. One could argue the images at Lascaux are icons, and the Bradshaws most definitely are/were

BR
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Icons have been around for a lot longer than Microsoft (who own the .ico patents), Greek and Russian Orthodox churches are stuffed full of them.

An icon is a visual representation of an object, scene, person or abstraction produced on a surface. One could argue the images at Lascaux are icons, and the Bradshaws most definitely are/were

BR
Useful info.

It worked !!!!!!! First time lol
You are a star
Decided to create a new column called loved.
Found a png on the site you suggested and followed your instructions
Not bothered about one for No as don't need that one.
But know how to do it anyway.
May have to think of other columns now lol

I do better if I have screenshots in front of me
Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Jo69
Addict

Question

My Calibre looks very colourful now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	column pix.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	161345  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
My Calibre looks very colourful now.
My only problem now is, that when I click a yes/no in a column it now takes ages (maybe 10secs or more sometimes) to change to the new png I altered it to.
Have I missed something?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
My only problem now is, that when I click a yes/no in a column it now takes ages (maybe 10secs or more sometimes) to change to the new png I altered it to.
Have I missed something?
Nothing is free. Custom columns need time to evaluate (fast, until thousands need to be done), time to fetch a file, time to render.

OTOH, simply coloring (basic) text eliminates the file fetch part (still has the other 2, colorizing being simpler)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Have I missed something?
Where are the icons and how big are they.

My black-lighting and black-cloud icons, as shown in Have Read in post #4, show instantaneously after I edit the cell (F2, 'y/n', Enter).

They are 128x128 px PNG files, and less than 2K bytes. They are in a folder named cc-icons in my calibre configuration folder, which is on an M.2 solid state drive. I also have an i7-7700 cpu, lots of RAM and moderately powered graphics card.

I've noticed that some downloaded PNG files are huge for what they are - like 300K bytes for a small and simple solid shape. In which case I open and save them in Irfanview - typically they will shrink to less than 5K bytes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Where are the icons and how big are they.

My black-lighting and black-cloud icons, as shown in Have Read in post #4, show instantaneously after I edit the cell (F2, 'y/n', Enter).

They are 128x128 px PNG files, and less than 2K bytes. They are in a folder named cc-icons in my calibre configuration folder, which is on an M.2 solid state drive. I also have an i7-7700 cpu, lots of RAM and moderately powered graphics card.

I've noticed that some downloaded PNG files are huge for what they are - like 300K bytes for a small and simple solid shape. In which case I open and save them in Irfanview - typically they will shrink to less than 5K bytes.

BR
They are 128 x 128
6.87 kb

Changed it to 48 x 48
3.46kb but still slow.

I have saved them in my Documents Should I have saved them in calibre?

Last edited by Jo69; 01-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nothing is free. Custom columns need time to evaluate (fast, until thousands need to be done), time to fetch a file, time to render.

OTOH, simply coloring (basic) text eliminates the file fetch part (still has the other 2, colorizing being simpler)
I have been able to colour my read lines blue.
But how could I have coloured the same star lines?