Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Exclamation Missing Kindle

It seems that I'm surrounded by crooks and liars in my personal life as a handful of items have come up missing in the last few weeks. Including the K2 that belonged to my lady. I suspect I know who took it, and it is a family member -- so I asked very politely if anyone had "seen" it.

They all denied knowing anything about it.

I was waiting and hoping they would do the right thing, but last night I opened up my email to discover a bunch of books being charged to my account from the missing Kindle. I quickly deauthorized the device and contacted Amazon CS to get the books deleted and a refund (which they took care of right away), but my questions are:

Is there anything else I should do now, and is there any sort of problems that they could cause me simply by having access to that Kindle?
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
it's a good thing Amazon CS is hassle-free, but man, can't you call the police and tell them your suspicions?

or get a lawyer?

and change the locks on the house?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a fair bit of drama going on in the family at the moment, so I'm trying not to go so far as to contact the authorities. It looks like some of them just took advantage of the fact that my life had been pretty hectic the past few weeks and helped themselves to things they had no business taking.

I'm not surprised they did it. Sad, but not surprised.

I was just worried that my account might be at risk somehow through that Kindle, even if it was deauthorized. Wasn't sure exactly how that worked.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I would make sure to report the Kindle stolen as well, if you did not already do so when you called Amazon about the books. My understanding, is that they can "lock it down" in a way that it can no longer be use with an Amazon account, at all. The thief would have to buy their books elsewhere.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post

I was just worried that my account might be at risk somehow through that Kindle, even if it was deauthorized. Wasn't sure exactly how that worked.
Once it's deauthorized the guilty party has no way of messing with your account.
Like the last poster said, report it stolen to amazon.
Not only will they not be able to get books, they'll also get the 3G shut down.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh nice. Now this? Do you need to change your locks? What were they thinking, that you wouldn't notice the missing things? Nothing brings out the worst in people faster than a death in the family.

You are still in our thoughts and prayers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I will second or third the notion of reporting it stolen to Amazon. If you do this they will not be able to use the 3G or WiFi. They will be able to sideload books.

If the twit returns it you will be able to call Amazon and turn it back on. They will ask you the same questions they ask when you report it lost or stolen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
After reading your thread on another board (and getting pissed off at what you experienced), this takes the cake. Assuming it a "family" member, of course. Dammitsomuch that sucks, man.

Report it as stolen to the authorities, and Amazon, and hope that the jerk-sausage that pilfered the device decides to pull their head out of their arse and come forward with it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

I was waiting and hoping they would do the right thing, but last night I opened up my email to discover a bunch of books being charged to my account from the missing Kindle. I quickly deauthorized the device and contacted Amazon CS to get the books deleted and a refund (which they took care of right away),
I would have emailed a note to the Kindle saying what you thought of them before you deactivated the account.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I would have emailed a note to the Kindle saying what you thought of them before you deactivated the account.
Now that is an incredible idea!!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Been where you're at Exer, done that and got the damn t-shirt to prove it. Sometimes family is the worst - hope all works out for you both with the Kindle situation and all works out in the family. Good Luck, pulling for you.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Exer, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nothing brings out the worst in people faster than a death in the family.
There is truth in those words! When my father died a few years ago, my sister called me less than a week later. The first words out of her mouth were not, "Hello. How are you doing?" They were, "What do we get?" I was shocked!

I had been executrix of the estate when my mother had died years before, so my sister assumed that I was in control of the money this time. Imagine her surprise when I informed her that my father's assets went to our stepmother, who was married to him for almost 40 years. Then she kissed up to my stepmother for a while, until she figured out that no money was forthcoming in the near future. Very sad.

I think that Mr. Ploppy's idea is brilliant, by the way!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
8annika.yael
Enthusiast
8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter

Device: none
that's so heartbreaking. it's a good thing you deactivated as quickly as you did. it's just a shame you have to go that route considering the circumstances. and you're still so full of compassion.

-very inspiring
8annika.yael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Exer
I see Russia!

Thank you everyone, I reported it stolen this morning. So at least that is taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I thought about that, but decided against it. When I used to go out of town for work here in Alaska, there were many areas that don't have data access. So no cell phones, no email, no internet. My lady used to send notes to my Kindle on my way out of town, things like "Open on Day 1", "Open on Day 2", etc, so that when I was lonely and not able to talk to her, I'd be able to pop open the Kindle and read her letters to me.

Guess I just wanted to leave the memory of the way we used that feature as something good, rather than a nastygram to her family. But I was tempted, boy was I tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Do you need to change your locks?
I really should. The worst part about it is the things went missing each time one of them came to "check up" on me. I guess their definition of seeing if I'm okay includes walking away with any valuables that happen to be setting around. As I said though, I'm not surprised. The surprising thing to me was the fact they seemed to care how I was doing. Once I noticed everything missing it made more sense.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:

I really should. The worst part about it is the things went missing each time one of them came to "check up" on me. I guess their definition of seeing if I'm okay includes walking away with any valuables that happen to be setting around. As I said though, I'm not surprised. The surprising thing to me was the fact they seemed to care how I was doing. Once I noticed everything missing it made more sense.
what is their problem!? man, i sure would wanna---
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote