Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #61
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Because printed books are highly illogical.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #62
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Carry? Hell! I'd never leave that room. I have about 7,000 books and no place to put them. I WANT that room!
Amen!
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I was into computers way before ebook readers or even most of my more serious reading life. I have been tracking, following, looking for ebook since before they existed, first on computers, then on pdas, laptops, and finally dedicated ebook readers! I still prefer some books in paper form, but fewer and fewer...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #64
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Because of injuries and nerve damage to his back, feet & legs, my dh has to spend more and more hours sitting or lying down. He's as avid a reader as I am, so keeping him in books when he couldn't hold a paperback larger than 200 pages became increasingly difficult. I bought an ereader for him 2 years ago, and he was totally sold on it within 15 mins.
A day or two later he commented on a book I had downloaded for him, so I 'borrowed' his reader for that one book. The next day I bought one for myself. I still have several thousand books, but I'm starting to get the paperbacks scanned and converted to my reader. What a joy. I now have all my hardbacks in bookcases! Only a couple of boxes of paperbacks on the floor and one large stack of books beside my bed. As previously mentioned, I have been able to donate a huge number of 'classics' and public domain books and replace them with the free ebooks.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #65
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I was into computers way before ebook readers or even most of my more serious reading life. I have been tracking, following, looking for ebook since before they existed, first on computers, then on pdas, laptops, and finally dedicated ebook readers! I still prefer some books in paper form, but fewer and fewer...
I wasn't dedicated enough to read anything longer than a short story from a stationary computer monitor and didn't really start in on ebooks until I got a netbook in 2008, but I did check on ebook progress occasionally from the late '90s onward, always baffled that we still hadn't sorted it very well. I would say it wasn't even e-Ink and the Kindle's success that shaped things up, so much as the smartphone and tablet era convincing retailers like Amazon that they had to make their offerings multi-platform and spurring some competition in e-reading software. Mobile reading apps also provided (and continue to provide) a gateway experience to ereading on devices that people have with them anyway, opening up the market beyond the early adopters and 'special needs' consumers (you might remember that Kindles early on were associated with a similar demographic to Rascal scooters).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #66
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I started reading on an eInk reader just because I wanted to buy a gadget and managed to convince myself that I needed an eInk reader. Then I stopped reading on it when it broke because I did not like the Gen 3 and how it worked.

I have started reading on eInk again now when I bought a Kindle Wifi a while ago. I got the convenience with buying books and I really like how lightweight it is and how the current location is synced between all my devices.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What got you started in the first place?
Free public domain.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #68
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
For me an E reader is what got me reading novels again and even collecting comic books again.

The economic "downturn" of 2008 resulted in me
having to live with "what I could carry for a good while" until I settled in another state

since then I try not to collect anything that wont fit on my person for travel.
No big desktop PC ,only a laptop and now a small tablet
(kindle fire)
and two small High capacity external Fire wire drives
I dont collect DVD movies and the thought of storing paper books or comic books in my tiny apartment is just silly and impractical for Me
I HATE clutter

Paper is flammable( although I dont smoke)
Used books are nasty and smell bad from all the Dry Spit caked up in the upper right corner of the pages by fingerlickers who needed traction to turn pages.

I hope the E-readers will eventually become free item for most citizens to encourage Literacy
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #69
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Much as traffic seems to fill up all available space, so too do books, no matter how big a house you own. An e-reader helps with space issues.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #70
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Same as many, the ability to carry a lot of books while travelling was the main driver (plus, lets be honest, a love of 'gadgets').

I felt particularly vindicated when I was stranded in Germany whilst travelling alone for business and yet still had plenty to read
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #71
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I got a PDA.
Nice and compact and I could take it everywhere.
It let me read anywhere anytime.
And there was this website called BLACK MASK loaded with nicely formatted classics...
I had a Casseiopia EM500 PDA, Windows CE operating system, and Microsoft Reader, bought in 2000. I was obsessed, and have stayed that way. I diverted somewhat for a couple of years, but iphone in 2007 sorted me out quick smart. I got most of my books off M$ itself (they had weekly freebies) or usenet.

Besides. My bookshelves are full to overflowing, there just isnt room for any more.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #72
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Paper is flammable( although I dont smoke)
Used books are nasty and smell bad from all the Dry Spit caked up in the upper right corner of the pages by fingerlickers who needed traction to turn pages.
Have you ever tried burning a book? I have a feeling that a plastic ereader would actually burn harder than a paper book (especially if the book is kept closed). Also, I really don't think the smell comes from dried spit. I don't lick my fingers when turning pages, and my old books start to smell after a while. It's probably mostly the smell of the acid in the paper eating at it, along with mold. See, now you can go back to liking paper books.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #73
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
now you can go back to liking paper books.

Never!!!

save the trees!!
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #74
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Too many books taking up too much space and arthritis in my thumbs making it painful to hold open a book...not good for a voracious reader.
I pre-ordered the very first kobo but returned it after one week. Pressing that button was painful. Replaced it with Sony PRS 600 and never looked back.
I have donated or recycled all my paper books. LIBERATING!
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #75
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty's View Post
I honestly hate the smell and feel of paper.
Now that's an interesting aversion!
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote