Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
SD Cards

I tried a couple of SD cards. Some thoughts. Please add more observations.

I inserted an 8gb SDHC Adata Turbo card. DR recognized it as an 8GB card. When I tried to format it, the DR formatted it to 1GB. I have not tried to load data onto the card yet.

Kingston SD 2GB formatted to 2GB and worked.

I could not get the DR to see or format a pqi 2GB SD card. When I tried to format it the DR froze.

When you safely remove an SD card and replace it with another, sometimes the DR will not recognize the new card. You have to reboot.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
PNY 8Gb SDHC works fine as well. I formatted it on my computer though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
I wonder if it can read and write to sdhc but cannot format them. I would worry if it could not use all of the card and crapped out if it reached it's max.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
As long as it can read/write them Also it still shows 1Gb icon even with 8Gb card, not sure if it's bug or feature
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Using a Sandisk Extreme III 8gb card: formatting fails, but once done on a computer, the card is correctly recognized (~7700mb available) and useable: reading, deleting on the device and writing via PC connection.

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-10-2008 at 12:12 AM.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Using cheap 2Gb cards works no problem on mine, formating & using. I haven't tried a 4Gb SDHC card. I ususally stick to 2Gb cards as there is less to lose in one go :-)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Using a Sandisk Extreme III 8gb card: formatting fails, but once done on a computer, the card is correctly recognized (~7700mb available) and useable: reading, deleting on the device and writing via PC connection.
It is not too surprising that format fails since it requires a totally different file system than the pre SDHC cards. It looks like, as I have said before, the driver and hardware support SDHC just fine (which were likely done by an outside group) but iRex didn't write any special support for SDHC.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

PNY Optima Pro 16Gb Class 6 SDHC card works, full capacity recognized.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
PNY Optima Pro 16Gb Class 6 SDHC card works, full capacity recognized.
Did you format it on your computer or the DR1000S?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Did you format it on your computer or the DR1000S?
If it's more than 2GB it most likely has to be done on the computer. You can then copy over the "Card Content" from the iRex website or everything from your existing card. (Unfortunately the "Set up Card" on the reader leaves out most things despite what the message says)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
If it's more than 2GB it most likely has to be done on the computer. You can then copy over the "Card Content" from the iRex website or everything from your existing card. (Unfortunately the "Set up Card" on the reader leaves out most things despite what the message says)
Yes, I found that to be true even when I added a second 2GB. It was easier just to unzip the saved zip Card Contents to the new card and add things. I will definitely try a much larger card now. This seems be better for me since I keep a full backup anyway on my computer. 16GB here I come!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
This seems be better for me since I keep a full backup anyway on my computer.
What interests me: Is it now possible to synchronise data between sd card and computer? Or is it creating a new folder when opening a pdf (like iLiad)?

Thanks
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Class 4 vs. Class 6 on iRex DR1000S

Hey guys,

Anybody know whether there's a difference in performance between Class 4 and Class 6 SD cards on the iRex? I'm interested in buying a 16GB Class 6 card (instead of a 32GB Class 4) if the read speed is significantly faster...

Thanks in advance,
-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post
Hey guys,

Anybody know whether there's a difference in performance between Class 4 and Class 6 SD cards on the iRex? I'm interested in buying a 16GB Class 6 card (instead of a 32GB Class 4) if the read speed is significantly faster...

Thanks in advance,
-cmhsieh54
The DR doesn't officially support SDHC cards, so I can pretty much guarantee that faster card speeds won't make a difference. In fact, the faster may not even be readable on it, I'm not sure. I know I wouldn't pay the extra money for one until it has official support.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote