Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Because the e-books Did Not Vanish! I Hate Duplicates!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Regardless of whether or not the books disappeared from the device, as long as calibre is configured for automatic metadata management the shelves / collections get updated as soon as calibre detects the Kobo. There is no need to send any books to the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Regardless of whether or not the books disappeared from the device, as long as calibre is configured for automatic metadata management the shelves / collections get updated as soon as calibre detects the Kobo. There is no need to send any books to the device.
That, right there.

I had a similar issue when I upgraded my firmware and had to do a factory reset (which does make me think Kobo doesn't handle firmware updates very well). But since I manage my books with Calibre, I plugged it in and it updated my metadata (took a lot longer than usual) and all my collections were back.

All told, it took me an hour, hour and a half to factory reset, update the firmware, patch the new firmware to my satisfaction and then get Calibre to whip my library back in to the shape it was.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-16-2017 at 03:08 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Sorry if it feels like we are piling on about Calibre. It's just that it exists for a purpose and will save you woe.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Katie1, three months ago multiple people here very strongly advised you to use Calibre to manage your collections, for this very reason. You jeered at us.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=281322

I hope now you might rethink things. Best of luck.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And when my PC Crashes do Any one of you wish to PAY for replacement e-books....
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And when my PC Crashes do Any one of you wish to PAY for replacement e-books....
Since I know your luck with electronics, I am going to say no.
Now what is the matter with having your books in two or three places?
If I was worried about losing all my ebooks, I would put a memory card in my PC and make a backup copy. Before you say your PC doesn't do that, Amazon sells USB card readers.
Come to think of it, I did just that.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Katie, that's why we have backups. My ebook collection lives in Calibre and that is susceptible to data loss or theft or whatever. This is why I have a backup on the local NAS, on a flash drive and in the cloud. That backup includes my ebooks and my Calibre setup. The task that does the backup to the NAS and the cloud takes less than 5 minutes once the initial backup was done.

As far as I can tell, Baen, Kobo, Amazon and Google all keep track of my purchases and I can re-download them if needed. I've noted with Baen that even if an ebook is no longer available for purchase, I can still download a previously purchased ebook.

As for books obtained from Gutenberg or other public domain repositories, again I could redownload assuming all my backups were destroyed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
If you break or lose your ereader, aren't you in the same position? No books and no back up on your PC?

But no one has to pay a 2nd time for purchased ebooks. The store where you purchased them still has them in your account, just go there and download them again.

Plus if they're also on your ereader, you can just transfer them back from your reader to your fixed or new PC.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

Plus if they're also on your ereader, you can just transfer them back from your reader to your fixed or new PC.
That's how I use one of my ereaders, I can read on it of course, but I also consider it a back up device. It has over 5,000 books on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I have Tons of Backups But I don't leave them on my PC. Amazon Does Not DL to Kobo! So that's Useless ....
Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I have Tons of Backups But I don't leave them on my PC. Amazon Does Not DL to Kobo! So that's Useless ....
But Amazon will download to your fixed or new PC so you can then transfer to whatever reader you choose. That's not useless at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

That's Not even the problem is Fixing the MESS KOBO Created! Now the worry that even after I spend DAYS fixing this so I can go back to READING they will do it All Over Again!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's Not even the problem is Fixing the MESS KOBO Created! Now the worry that even after I spend DAYS fixing this so I can go back to READING they will do it All Over Again!
Think of Calibre as a back up of your collections. Once done you just back up with it as needed. If Kobo wipes them out then you just connect to your laptop and restore the back up from Calibre.

I had my Kindle collections wiped out years ago. I no longer bother with collections. I use my Kobo to read a book when done I delete the book from the reader. I never have more than 50 books on any reader.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #30
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Katie1- if its keeping the books on your PC is the problem have you considered using calibre portable? It can be run from a flashdrive or external hard-drive connected to your laptop and the books can be kept with it as one package. It has all the functions of calibre and as Blossom said, will act as a backup of your collections as well. And with davidfor's Kobo Utilities plugin you can also backup other useful info.

It would also be a lot quicker to reconstruct your Kobo collections on a PC monitor than the Kobo?

Good luck whatever you choose
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote