Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I like the larger screen of my Kobo Aura HD, as long as I don't put it in a case. In a case, it seemed cumbersome and unwieldy. I do wish I had gotten the H2O instead, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I like the large size but the 6" size of the Kindle doesn't bother me at all. There's far more important considerations to be concerned about.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Your best option for reading PDFs: Get Kindle DX. Check eBay.
You'd love me for suggesting this to you.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
Really ? Do you use KOreader ?
I do not use KOreader. I use RMDSK (ADE). I read ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #20
javamaan
javamaan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just try one of those cheap windows tablets as PDF readers. They are good. In US you can get a 10inch windows tablet for $100. Either microcenter(winbook) or best buy(insignia or no name) store brands.
I have 7" winbook windows tablet. It is excellent. It is a tiny PC in your hand, you can install any software you install on a PC desktop.
javamaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just can't envision reading technical PDFs on a small (6.8) screen.
I agree with you. I read fiction on my Kindle, but PDFs on a full-sized iPad. A device on which you have to scroll the page to read the text of a PDF is a pain to use, particularly an eInk device with its slow refresh speed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #22
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I've got a Kobo Touch, and an Aura HD -- so, different models from those the OP is asking about, but same sizes of devices and screens.

Personal taste: yeah, the extra .8 inches does make a noticeable difference, and I definitely prefer it. For one thing, the proportions feel less cramped and more like a book page.

As for PDFs, I've tried a whole swag of options, and I'm convinced eInk just isn't the right medium for PDFs, especially technical ones with a lot of charts and graphics. Even text-based ones are a pain, with having to shift them around the screen or else they're too small to read. Ditto CBRs, which are usually formatted for large pages and better definition than 256 shades of grey.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:04 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Ditto CBRs, which are usually formatted for large pages and better definition than 256 shades of grey.
Note that eInk screen only actually display 16 greyscales; they are 4-bit, not 8-bit.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #24
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks Harry, wasn't sure, shot and missed. ;-)

Knew it was too low to make them work, though. (imo)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Thanks Harry, wasn't sure, shot and missed. ;-)

Knew it was too low to make them work, though. (imo)
It makes your point even more valid!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #26
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post

I really read lots of pdfs; math, physics, engineering etc . . . Of course, I'm aware that the optimum reading experience for such documents requires a 9+ inch reader. But, obviously, I cannot afford the prices of such ereaders. My ceiling is $200. I've been hoping that by the time I decide to buy another ereader, the prices of 9+ inch ereaders will be less than $200, but, as we know, that is far from the case.

PS: I'm not interested in getting a tablet. If I get the Aura H2O, I intend to install KOreader for pdf and djvu reading.
Just as an suggestion for those with the same problem, since OP obviously got himself one.

Onyx i86+ in pdf/djvu action using Orion viewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yv6WVlfvZc

If 8"eink is too small for our A4 pdfs even in landscape mode, then some affordable 10" eink is a good solution.

+ simply using some tablet/smartphone simultaneously for color recognition or faster annotation, scribbling, searching etc. as we read the same pdf/djvu on our eink (6", 8" or 10"), until we hopefully get an affordable fast color 10" e-paper around 2019/20.

Last edited by markom; 11-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #27
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I can only speak from experience with my Ectaco Jetbook Color.
Being at 9", I'd have to say it still is smaller than a comic book, and some text is harder to read, even on a 9" device.
My vote would be on a larger screen.
Text should be readable on anything larger than 1280x720pixels, but if the screen is so small, you'd have to peer hard to be able to read it.

Just load a comic book on any fablet (samsung Galaxy series), with 720p or higher screen, and you'll understand the importance of a larger screen.

I believe we are at a point where the resolution, screen refresh, and processor speed matter less, than screen estate.

Have you ever owned a Jetbook mini, with only a 5 in screen?
Lovely device! Fast refresh, perfect in almost every way, save for the fact that it barely loads 5 sentences on its screen!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #28
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I went from a 6" to a Boox T68 (same screen size as Kobo H2O), and I won't go back to a smaller screen for my 'primary' ereader. I eventually would consider a smaller screen on a 'back-up device' for on the go.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura h2o, screeen size