Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Danesh
Enthusiast
Danesh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question calibre-64bit-2.21.0 Installation

Hi to all,
I've already installed calibre-64bit-2.20.0 on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Now to install the new version (calibre-64bit-2.21.0) should I remove the previous installation first and then install the new one afresh, OR without removing the old one, I can install the new version over the previous one?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Danesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesh View Post
Hi to all,
I've already installed calibre-64bit-2.20.0 on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Now to install the new version (calibre-64bit-2.21.0) should I remove the previous installation first and then install the new one afresh, OR without removing the old one, I can install the new version over the previous one?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Install Over the old for upgrades.
Only in rare cases (reissue of a release) will the release notes say Remove the old

I recommend uninstall for downgrades. Settings and libraries remain
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Danesh - you don't have to install every new version, its quite OK to skip versions until there's something that grabs your attention on the "What New" page and then upgrade to that one - eg you could upgrade from 2.21 to 2.32.

The database that drives calibre hasn't changed its internal structure for some years.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
@Danesh - @BetterRed is right. You can quite safely go for weeks without applying upgrades.

But as a compulsive upgrader, may I say, it takes me about two minutes a week to keep Calibre up to date. That way, I know I've not missed the one upgrade I really should have applied.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Danesh
Enthusiast
Danesh began at the beginning.

useful comments

Thank you all for your useful comments.
Danesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
But as a compulsive upgrader, may I say, it takes me about two minutes a week to keep Calibre up to date. That way, I know I've not missed the one upgrade I really should have applied.
There are automatic updaters for different OSes posted in the Related Tools subforum, if you are interested...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There are automatic updaters for different OSes posted in the Related Tools subforum, if you are interested...
Thanks for that tip, @eschwartz...

Always on the lookout to save a minute or two.

Seriously though, I shall check that out. Thanks again.

EDIT: Been there, done that, worked perfectly. Thanks yet again!

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 03-16-2015 at 02:04 AM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're welcome.

P.S. It is so much cooler on linux, it is an automatic task.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre installation