Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #31
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Image gallery.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I'll hold off upgrading, but glad they finally got the light in there. That's what everyone I know seems to complain about. Also, touchscreen doesn't impress me, but I love that they are still thinking about and acting on the future of ebooks. YAY!

And I really, really would love the store to be web-based (just like the amazon kindle store) for us mac-heads without windows...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #33
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Of course if I could sell the 505 + Lighted book cover for $250, I'd probably go for it.
That was fast - I just had a call from a friend of mine with a PRS-500 and she said "I know you're going to upgrade. I'll buy the 505."
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it's the same OS, but the software has been updated, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... so are we saying the eInk screen is smaller than the 505 screen? Or is it the same size?
It is the same size, I misunderstood what you were getting at.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #35
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Did someone say, "Plastic Logic?" My understanding is that their eInk technology is entirely plastic, omitting the thin, fragile glass membranes inside the current Sony screens THAT KEEP !@#$% BREAKING unexpectedly in 10-15 percent of the machines.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29270

All-plastic technology screens would be a great improvement if my assumptions prove out. Just a guess at this point.

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Any word on the processor/memory specs? Battery life?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 is also a 6" screen. Whoever came up with 6.5" is clearly incorrect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #38
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Do we know yet if the software on it is similar to the 505 or did they switch to Win CE? Cos the screen in the promo pic does look very CE like.
Please don't... for a second I was so shocked, my heard stopped.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #39
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I hope my original post didn't come off as insinuating it wasn't worth the extra $100 to a new buyer. It is. But it's not worth the upgrade for me.

As for the Plastic Logic demo, I think it makes the touchscreen look a little flaky (again, I'm hopeful that Sony has improved upon it, and that maybe what we were seeing was a beta product from Plastic Logic).

But honestly, I don't see the value in adding a touchscreen. Knowing me, my touchscreen would be constantly dirty, full of fingerprints, and well-scratched up in short order. And where's the advantage, really? I mean, is pressing a button really that difficult, and is swiping a finger really that much easier?
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #40
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd like to know this too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #41
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Not sure I like the idea of the touchscreen. I mean it's an obvious evolution, but I'm afraid I'd keep accidentally activating functions while carrying it or brushing it while reading. I often have to grab my backpack and exit a train quickly while holding onto the eBook with fingers on screen and being grateful that the screen isn't touch-sensitive!
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #42
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was the person who mentioned Plastic Logic...and of course, there's no Plastic Logic technology in the 700 (if only...then I could step on it to my heart's content ). But I would imagine the touchscreen technology is similar. If you watch the demo on You Tube, you'll see that it's functionality looks a little.....well, flaky, I guess.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd like to know this too.
So would I -- hopefully our pinch-hitting reporter will be able to get more of these details for us, otherwise we'll have to wait 'til they update the product pages over at SonyStyle.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #44
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, the touch screen does offer one major advantage.

It allows them to add annotation, notes, dictionary, search, etc without having to bolt on a hardware keyboard.

And while I agree that a hardware keyboard is king for longer data entry's, for the purposes of the reader it should be enough.

What I'm curious about is whether it supports handwritten notes or markup? If it does, Irex is going to have a major competitor on its hands. While it may not be as accuret, it may be enough for many peoples needs
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
What I'm curious about is whether it supports handwritten notes or markup?
'fraid not
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
... there's no true digital ink capability, it's all handled through virtual keyboard/menu interaction.

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen