Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
christopher22
Connoisseur
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Didn't work

Copied 3.11 files over to .kobo directory as is. So the tgz file is in the kobo directory and md5 file is there but nothing happened. I'm still on 1.9.11, it didn't update to 3.11.

Maybe I need to unzip the tgz stuff into the .kobo directory?
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Copied 3.11 files over to .kobo directory as is. So the tgz file is in the kobo directory and md5 file is there but nothing happened. I'm still on 1.9.11, it didn't update to 3.11.

Maybe I need to unzip the tgz stuff into the .kobo directory?
NO! If this was needed, we would have said so. Seriously, there would be tons of instructions say to do that. Just unpack the zip file and put the intact contents on the device in the ".kobo" directory. It should upgrade when you disconnect. The file name is important, including case. As DNSB corrected me, the md5 file isn't used if there is no "upgrade" directory.

The only reasons I can think of for it not updating is low battery or low free space. The latter should only affect updating over WiFi, but, it might prevent a sideloaded update happening.

Try rebooting the device. And trying the upgrade again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #18
christopher22
Connoisseur
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

kobo account

.aahh I think I found the issue. This kobo does not have an account associated with it yet. So I think I have to set up an account with it first before it updates?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't need the account for newer firmware to update, but for the 1.9.x versions, I'm not sure.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Check that you have the CORRECT firmware version for your device. There are 2 distinct firmwares for the Touch depending on the particular hardware.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #21
christopher22
Connoisseur

original touch

I'm pretty sure it's the original touch. So that would be a Mark3 version which I downloaded from https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

The bottom of the kobo shows model N905 and the version file on it shows a bunch of numbers followed by 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310, so I'm pretty sure it's a Mark3 kobo touch.

Regarding not loading, the battery shows fully charged and it's basically a brand new unused kobo - there should be loads of space on it. I will delete the files copy them over again into the .kobo directory using Windows 7
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
christopher22
Connoisseur

Ok strange, I plugged it into the computer and found the tgz file and md5 file under the .kobo/Kobo directory. .. possibly directly unzipping the file created the Kobo directory under .kobo. Anyways unplugged and it updated. ..However ....

It says welcome Get set up in just a few easy steps and gives me two options
1 - Set up over Wi Fi
2 - Don't have a Wi Fi network

And I seem to be stuck here and actually can't do any reading with it until it's set up. So it looks like I actually do need to set up an account? or is there some work around?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-09-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok strange, I plugged it into the computer and found the tgz file and md5 file under the .kobo/Kobo directory. .. possibly directly unzipping the file created the Kobo directory under .kobo. Anyways unplugged and it updated. ..However ....
That says the device hasn't processed these files and updated. Either the disconnect step hasn't been done since the files were put there, or the names are wrong.

But, I just had a look at the upgrade code. If you are upgrading to 3.11, then remove the md5sum file. As there are no kernel files, it isn't needed and might be blocking the update.
Quote:
It says welcome Get set up in just a few easy steps and gives me two options
1 - Set up over Wi Fi
2 - Don't have a Wi Fi network

And I seem to be stuck here and actually can't do any reading with it until it's set up. So it looks like I actually do need to set up an account? or is there some work around?
From memory, firmware 1.9.11 should be usable without an account. You can't use WiFi or the shop, but you should be able to sideload books. It's been a while since I tried this. I'm sure the was an option to skip the setup that allowed you to continue. But, it wasn't obvious that the option would do this.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
christopher22
Connoisseur

Well, yes I did have the option to read with 1.9.11 unfortunately it's already updated itself now to 3.11. If I factory reset, does it go back to 1.9.11? But currently I'm now stuck on that two option screen with 3.11 - I don't want to wifi into a network since it might do something I don't want. And using the no wifi option tells me to connect to a computer. (Maybe I can use that computer option to copy a dummy registration file into the kobo?)

My older kobos have been registered, is there a file I can just copy over and register it that way to get the kobo to work to bypass the registration process?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, yes I did have the option to read with 1.9.11 unfortunately it's already updated itself now to 3.11. If I factory reset, does it go back to 1.9.11?
A factory reset will install whatever version is on the (hidden) restore partition. That will be whatever the device was manufactured with. And that appears to be 1.9.11 for you.
Quote:
But currently I'm now stuck on that two option screen with 3.11 - I don't want to wifi into a network since it might do something I don't want. And using the no wifi option tells me to connect to a computer. (Maybe I can use that computer option to copy a dummy registration file into the kobo?)

My older kobos have been registered, is there a file I can just copy over and register it that way to get the kobo to work to bypass the registration process?
I seem to have lost track of the status somewhere. I thought it was still on 1.9.11.

You can't easily copy anything from another device. I do backup the files and restore them, but only to the device they came from.

If you want to stay on 3.11.0, you won't be able to do anything over WiFi. It will update the firmware as part of the setup. You can do it using the Kobo desktop application. If you do the setup using it, the firmware update will be downloaded and put on the device. But, will only be installed when you disconnected. You can remove the files (the KoboRoot.tgz, md5sum and upgrade directory) before disconnecting.

You can also do an update in the database to create dummy details. A search in the forum should find information on this.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #26
christopher22
Connoisseur

updated

I think 1.9.11 allowed me to skip registration. Good to know the factory reset will restore it to that version.

So what happened was .. I connected the Kobo via a USB cable to connect to the computer originally, I then copied (unzipped) the koboroot.tgz file and md5 file from the downloaded Mark 3 wiki firmware site I mentioned before to the kobo directory under windows 7. When I ejected from the computer and disconnected the cable it automatically did the update to 3.11.0 (where I am now)

Now regarding registering, if I connect to do the registration setup for 3.11.0 will it automatically update to the latest firmware? (which I don't want .. at least not yet). If not, I'll just connect and register.

The other kobos I have (same model running under 3.11 all sideloaded epubs or pdf's) could I not just copy the kobosqlite.sql file over from the already registered model?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-10-2019 at 06:56 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now regarding registering, if I connect to do the registration setup for 3.11.0 will it automatically update to the latest firmware? (which I don't want .. at least not yet). If not, I'll just connect and register.
It will do as I said: download the update and put the files on the device. If you remove them before ejecting, the update won't be done.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #28
christopher22
Connoisseur

So it's already updated to 3.11. I just don't want it updating newer when I connect with wifi (which I think it might) or otherwise for just registering.

So actually I can't do anything with that kobo on 3.11 until it registers over wifi or over a usb connection - and it tells me I have to use the kobo desktop. Is there an easy summary someone can point me to - to register offline?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-10-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try a search in the forum; you'll find various threads on how to update a table in the sqllite database used by Kobo.

Sorry I'm too lazy to search for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #30
christopher22
Connoisseur

ok

Ok thanks, I think I found the thread. Kobo standalone. I'll have a read.

Regarding checking various firmware versions, would it be best to do a factory reset each time I wanted to update to a different firmware?

.. and all I would do to factory reset is insert paperclip into pinhole at the top of the kobo?