Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Forma ‘red’ light

Hi just a quick question.
I have an Aura One and have the backlight at maximum red.
I got a Forma a few months back. It’s OK but the maximum red seems still almost white compared to the Aura One. That’s a great shame because I love that almost parchment sunset background and miss it a lot when I use the Forma. Also it’s much more healthy for the eyes.
So my question: why the change? Or is it just a quirk with my Forma?
Thanks, Steve
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Does it get any redder if you turn the brightness down?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I have the brightness at 7% on both machines
Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
I'm seeing this too. Forma turns yellow where the Aura One turns red. I have to admit I liked the red hue better, although the Forma as a whole is a better device.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Stevex
Addict

Hi barsanuphe, thanks for the confirmation. I’d really appreciate any more feedback. Is it like this on all Formas? Is that by design? If so why?
I’ll be very grateful for any more insights. Cheers
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
Hi just a quick question.
I have an Aura One and have the backlight at maximum red.
I got a Forma a few months back. It’s OK but the maximum red seems still almost white compared to the Aura One. That’s a great shame because I love that almost parchment sunset background and miss it a lot when I use the Forma. Also it’s much more healthy for the eyes.
So my question: why the change? Or is it just a quirk with my Forma?
Thanks, Steve
It's not a solid answer, but color changing light is still relatively new and I think they're still learning which color is best.

My Glowlight 3 changes to amber or maybe the amber-orange of a sodium-vapor street lamp. When I first saw the red Aura One I thought it looked ugly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, the KA1 had a much more complex LED array (f.g., we could essentially make the FL full green, right, @pazos? [EDIT: Yup ]).

In any, case, the one on the Forma is definitely (generally) more on the yellowy/orangey spectrum than the reds I've seen mentioned for the KA1 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-05-2019 at 01:10 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My Glowlight 3 changes to amber or maybe the amber-orange of a sodium-vapor street lamp. When I first saw the red Aura One I thought it looked ugly.
Well, full red is unreadable but when not at 100% I feel it is easier on the eyes when reading without any lights on, for example. The Forma's yellow is a tad more agressive on the eyes in that case.
I find that in general I'm reading with more brightness % than on my Aura one.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think it's the early Aura ONEs that go red at the extreme end. Later ones like mine, purchased in early 2018, go a deep orange, as depicted on their website. I use this feature daily and am very fond of it.

This observation about the warm front light from reviews was another reason I elected not to purchase a Forma, and believe the Aura ONE to be the superior device. I prefer e-readers to be symmetrical tablets and not have buttons, and I also make use of the ambient light detector regularly. I find the landscape reading setting pointless, since I don't read any PDFs on my e-reader (I prefer to use a tablet for this), and the wider the screen you're reading text on, the more horizontal eye movement is required, which is more taxing than vertical eye movement. I also prefer not to have the accelerometer since I have on occasion rotated the device to inspect an image, and prefer to have it behave like a sheet of paper in this regard. An inability to lock to a specific portrait orientation would just result in unnecessary refreshes, eating into the battery life, which they didn't bother to improve with the Forma, it seems.

One feature I do like about the Forma is the dimmer front light at lower settings, since I never use a brightness of more than 12% on my Aura ONE. The 100% setting is ridiculous for any use except using it as a torch in the event of a power outage at night. Any ambient lighting that would make a 12% level redundant ought to result in the light being turned off completely, imho.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Stevex
Addict

Thanks for the feedback everyone. At least, it seems the much-less-red Forma is by design, not a freak of my machine. I think it’s a mistaken design. I found I’ve gone back to my Aura One as my main reader.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think that Kobo may have moved from a combination of white and RGB LEDs with the Aura ONE to a combination of white and orange LEDs with the Forma. I wonder if this related to a frequently-encountered issue of ugly green blotches appearing at the bottom of the screen of a number of Aura ONE models, as discussed in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284795

I personally encountered this problem with 4 of them, before finding one without the issue. Perhaps they were unhappy with the rate at which the Aura ONE models were being returned due to unsatisfactory RGB LED lighting.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote