Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #1
bearthang
bearthang began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Changing system font

I'm a Vietnamese user that the current fonts don't support.
I know how to add the support-Vietnamese font to when reading books.
But their book titles still don''t show correctly because of the system font.

Do you guy have any idea?
bearthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Checkout my post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313207
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearthang View Post
I'm a Vietnamese user that the current fonts don't support.
I know how to add the support-Vietnamese font to when reading books.
But their book titles still don''t show correctly because of the system font.

Do you guy have any idea?
If I've understand...
I made a patch (`Font-family and font-size bulk change`) in two parts (one for nickel and the second one for libnickel). Perhaps, you can test it (If you are brave).
You must read carefully and put (into REPLACE) the font-family name that you want.
If you have any... don't hesitate.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #4
bearthang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
If I've understand...
I made a patch (`Font-family and font-size bulk change`) in two parts (one for nickel and the second one for libnickel). Perhaps, you can test it (If you are brave).
You must read carefully and put (into REPLACE) the font-family name that you want.

Good luck.
As I understand, I need a patch to update the new fonts.
I see that in your nickel part that has Bookerly font that supports Vietnamese characters.
But I have no idea how to create a KoboRoot.tgz from the nickel-363.yaml
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I understand, I need a patch to update the new fonts.
I see that in your nickel part that has Bookerly font that supports Vietnamese characters.
But I have no idea how to create a KoboRoot.tgz from the nickel-363.yaml
You can make copy/paste into your existing files. Or, better, create a new ones (with another name ) and add the correspondent lines into kobopatch.yaml. You can see an example here.
If you need more... don't hesitate.

Good luck.

EDIT: If you don't want to change font-size you can erase those lines.

Last edited by jcn363; 01-02-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-04-2019, 03:27 AM   #6
bearthang

Quote:
You can make copy/paste into your existing files. Or, better, create a new ones (with another name ) and add the correspondent lines into kobopatch.yaml. You can see an example here.
If you need more... don't hesitate.

Good luck.

EDIT: If you don't want to change font-size you can erase those lines.
Thank guys.
I can change the setting font with your patch `Font-family and font-size bulk change`. Although there are still some parts using the old font, but it's better than the original firmware.

And 1 last question, do you any discuss topic about hack/mod Kobo devices (especial Kobo Forma)?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:05 AM   #7
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
do you any discuss topic about hack/mod Kobo devices (especial Kobo Forma)?
General.
Instructions for patching firmware 4.12.12111
kobopatch request thread

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Although there are still some parts using the old font
If you can, put images with the faults.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #9
bearthang

Quote:
If you can, put images with the faults.

Good luck.
Wrong collection name

I replaced the En-Vie dictionary to En-Ge dictionary. So when I choose English to Germany, it'll show English to Vietnamese.
Wrong text in dictionary

Could you fix those?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collection name.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	168824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disctionary.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	168825  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Wrong collection name

I replaced the En-Vie dictionary to En-Ge dictionary. So when I choose English to Germany, it'll show English to Vietnamese.
Wrong text in dictionary
To fix the first one you must change the Avenir font for your sans installed font with Vietnamese support one (In the example Gill Sans with Noto Sans).
For the second one, are you using any dictionary patch?

Good luck.

Edit:
Adding new interface languages
Adding new dictionaries to kobo

Last edited by jcn363; 01-04-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Wrong text in dictionary.
Could you fix those?
If you want to change the font used in your dictionary pop-up you can use my patch called 'Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta'. It is included in the kobopatch standard pack for 4.12.12111. Don't be put off by the word 'beta' in the name - it has been around for quite a long time

It can be found in the patch file libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. You will need to customise it to use your chosen Vietnamese font in the section 'Examples for customising font-family:'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
bearthang

Thank jcn363 and jackie_w.
Your guys are genius!!!

Now my Kobo is perfect completely for my reading.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #13
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
Quote:
If I've understand...

Good luck.
i got this error and could you pls tell me what i did wrong?

Code:
Error: could not apply patches: invalid patch file 'src/font-patch-libnickel.yaml': patch "Font-family and font-size bulk change (part 2 of 2)": line 9: inst 3: FindReplaceString: replacement string 5 chars too short
here is content of line 9:

Code:
 - FindReplaceString:
      Find:    "\n  font-family: Avenir;\n"
# When editing the replacement values below,
# BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING!
      Replace: "font-family:Bitner;"
      MustMatchLength: yes
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
i got this error and could you pls tell me what i did wrong?

Code:
Error: could not apply patches: invalid patch file 'src/font-patch-libnickel.yaml': patch "Font-family and font-size bulk change (part 2 of 2)": line 9: inst 3: FindReplaceString: replacement string 5 chars too short
here is content of line 9:

Code:
 - FindReplaceString:
# When editing the replacement values below,
# BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING!
      MustMatchLength: yes
Your patch states MustMatchLength: yes which means that your Find: and Replace: strings must be exactly the same length.

Based on the code you posted above:
Code:
your Find & Replace strings (the parts between the double-quotes) are clearly NOT the same length, so correct the Replace string so that its length does match.

Alternatively you might find the thread kobopatch users & non-Kobo-supported languages useful (particularly posts #1, #2 and the summary in post #63) if you want to change the Kobo GUI fonts (Georgia and Avenir) to ones which support your language better.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #15
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Your patch states MustMatchLength: yes which means that your Find: and Replace: strings must be exactly the same length.

Based on the code you posted above:
Code:
your Find & Replace strings (the parts between the double-quotes) are clearly NOT the same length, so correct the Replace string so that its length does match.

Alternatively you might find the thread kobopatch users & non-Kobo-supported languages useful (particularly posts #1, #2 and the summary in post #63) if you want to change the Kobo GUI fonts (Georgia and Avenir) to ones which support your language better.
thank you so much, i tried the patches you recommended and it worked! however, i have to reopen a kepub book again to have the fonts activated after every reboot.

i read another post about new `nickel menu` hack. i think if it is possible to overwrite my language supported georgia and avenir to kobo system fonts using script.

sorry i'm very new to scripting-world.
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote