Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Alepsis10
Alepsis10 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Questions about my PB HD3

Been using my HD3 for about three weeks now, really nice device, loving the synchronization between my devices, battery, light, and resolution are excellent, haven't tested the audiobooks yet, I even loaded some Mangas and the comic Bone just to see how it managed them, and I'm pretty impressed, they look really good! I have some questions regarding somethings that I don't know if they can be fixed

The device tells me I have 1 notification, which I don't see when looking at them, so I don't know how to remove that icon on the Taskbar above.

Whenever I return to my reading book, it opens on the page I was on, but a sec later it loads a previous page, usually like 2 pages back.

The mobile app constantly tells me to relogin to my cloud account (daily) is this normal?

I'm using Calibre to load my books, the cover size is wierd, if I make the cover the same ratio as the reader screen, it looks great on the turned off screen, but on the menus there are some white or black bands to fill the image slot, and viceversa, if I make a cover a size to fit on the menus, the turned off screen has vertical white or black bands, I find that really annoying lol

I figured how to refresh covers displayed on the device by erasing the cache, but some covers don't show up at all? I can see the covers when I'm using Pocketbook on my phone, but they don't show on the device that's wierd.
Alepsis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
The page jumping problem was introduced with version 6 firmware. It is already fixed in current beta. The final new firmware should be out "soon".

In the meantime you can check if the v2 or v3 reader (assuming you are reading epub) works better for you. In the menu press and hold on the book until context menu appears, chose "open with". You need to kill the reading task in the task manager before switching the reader version. v2 and v3 readers both have their quirks (including wrong placing of bookmarks, missing TOC, wrong rendering of formats) so see for yourself which one gives you the better feeling.

Can't help you with your other issues.
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Kleki
Connoisseur

Just one thought on your "white or black bands to fill the image slot". Could that be the indicators for the reading progress? A white bar filling up black from left to right?
Old 09-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alepsis10 View Post
The device tells me I have 1 notification, which I don't see when looking at them, so I don't know how to remove that icon on the Taskbar above.
If the 6.x firmware is like the 5.x firmware, you just go to the notification panel (by pressing the double horizontal line on your "home" screen — the bottom line is shorter than the top). Then just press the 'X' to close whatever it that is they're notifying you about. In my case it was setting up Read Rate and Dropbox (which I didn't want to do). It will also notify you if you need to set up sync, etc. Once you close the notification (by pressing the 'X') it shouldn't come back (unless you Send-To-PocketBook and you have a book waiting or something along those lines which will produce a new notification).

The going back on the pages is a known bug (why they're not taking care of it quickly, I have no idea). A few folks here have sent to PocketBook support and requested the newest beta software, which fixes the problem. You can also download firmware 5.19.x from the Support page and drop back to an older version for now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
Alepsis10

Glad to hear the fix is coming soon with the firmware update! I read that if I downgrade I won't be able to read cbz files.

I don't see any notification to press X, so I don't know how to remove it
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_170400.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	838.7 KB
ID:	182261

Name:	IMG_20200926_1704132.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	182262
These are the bands I'm talking about, as you can see, the HPL book looks good on the library, but not on the turned off cover, and viceversa with the King book

Name:	IMG_20200926_1705272.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	182263

Name:	IMG_20200926_170818.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	903.3 KB
ID:	182264

Name:	IMG_20200926_170947.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	182265

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Kleki
Connoisseur

Now that you mention it I see the same bands on my reader. I've never noticed them before. Thanks for me now also being annoyed by them. ;-) No, seriously, there are more important bugs to solve by Pocketbook.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
"I figured how to refresh covers displayed on the device by erasing the cache, but some covers don't show up at all? I can see the covers when I'm using Pocketbook on my phone, but they don't show on the device that's wierd."

I had the same problem with my PocketBook Color. It turned out that the root cause was that the title of the book had a ' in the file name, like in "don't" or "Peter's" so try to remove unusual characters from the file names of those covers that don´t show up.

I also found that some generated covers of .cbr and .cbz files were duplicated so two different books got the same cover. However, after several days of use after I removed the strange characters in the file names, all the book covers became correct.

How did you erase the cache?
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:08 AM   #8
Alepsis10

Definitely trying that, thanks for the info. To erase the cache I looked for t HB e sustem folder and simply erased all the cache folders inside it.

I just updated to the new version, the 1 Notification is still there, it's annoying af...
Covers are still showing the wierd bands.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:29 AM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleki View Post
The page jumping problem was introduced with version 6 firmware. It is already fixed in current beta. The final new firmware should be out "soon".

In the meantime you can check if the v2 or v3 reader (assuming you are reading epub) works better for you. In the menu press and hold on the book until context menu appears, chose "open with". You need to kill the reading task in the task manager before switching the reader version. v2 and v3 readers both have their quirks (including wrong placing of bookmarks, missing TOC, wrong rendering of formats) so see for yourself which one gives you the better feeling.

Can't help you with your other issues.
I think it's safe to say they haven't yet fixed the page jumping problem. It's still happening even on their newest released device the Pocketbook Verse Pro.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote