Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
Gagarin
Gagarin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Hello...Help for choosing my first ebook reader...

Hello guys!!!
(First of all I want to apologize for my bad English)

I'm looking to buy one ebook reader for reading mainly novels in my native language Greek...epub and pdf files...
I would like if it is possible to read rss news but also to listen to audio books (not so necessary)
I am between these two:

Kobo Clara HD 6"

Pocketbook Touch HD 3

Which of the two do you suggest?

for your time!!!!
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you want to read PDF, I would say neither. The screen is too small. I would suggest you go with either the Kobo Forma at 8" or the Pocketbook Inkpad X at 10.3". But do not go with 6". It's no good for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
Gagarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you want to read PDF, I would say neither. The screen is too small. I would suggest you go with either the Kobo Forma at 8" or the Pocketbook Inkpad X at 10.3". But do not go with 6". It's no good for PDF.
Thanks my friend...

But I don’t want big screen reader...
I want 6” screen...
Between kobo and pocketbook which one do you suggest to me?
Old 09-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagarin View Post
I want 6” screen...
Boox Poke 2 (Android 9)
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Gagarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Boox Poke 2 (Android 9)

Th battery life with Android 9...;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Th battery life with Android 9...;
Onyx Boox Poke 2 - Battery Life Testing
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Hello guys!!!
(First of all I want to apologize for my bad English)

I'm looking to buy one ebook reader for reading mainly novels in my native language Greek...epub and pdf files...
I would like if it is possible to read rss news but also to listen to audio books (not so necessary)
I am between these two:

Kobo Clara HD 6"

Pocketbook Touch HD 3

for your time!!!!
Quote:
Thanks my friend...

I want 6” screen...
Given that a 6" screen is small for pdf, on both devices you can improve the situation a little with KOReader. The reading experience may vary depending on which kind of pdf You read, it is from acceptable to very bad.

If it was just for reading then I prefer the Kobo because you can choose the sharpness of the fonts - however you still have it in the pocketbook if you install KOReader in it - as well as a great interaction with calibre.

But you also want RSS and audiobooks, so the Kobo doesn't have them and the Pocketbook does. I tried audiobooks and it works, I didn't try RSS. Instead of RSS Kobo has Pocket and I like it very much.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks my friend...

I want 6” screen...
I think they are fairly equivalent, so pick whichever is logistically more accessible for you.

I have found that Pocketbook's inbuilt viewer app has more comfortable options for PDF compared to what Kobo has. But if you install some other good viewer app (such as Koreader), Kobo and Pocketbook become quite equivalent (actually, Koreader behaves better on Kobo).

I think a 6" screen is passable for PDF files that are formatted so that the text is large enough, and particularly if the text can be reflowed. However, if the PDF files are technically advanced (containing formulas, graphs, multiple columns, footnotes, etc.) then 6" will not be enough.

A 6" screen will be okay for a while as your first ever e-reader, but if you plan to do serious reading for research purposes, you will soon need at least an 8" screen or bigger.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Hello guys!!!

I am between these two:

Kobo Clara HD 6"

Pocketbook Touch HD 3

I would (personally) choose the PocketBook, but that's partly because I use Linux and PocketBook has ADE built-in (so you can buy books from anywhere without ADE on your computer). Kobo's advantages are many more adjustments for increments of font "boldness." and other adjustments (But I find myself tinkering with the Kobos more because I can never quite "get it right.") Kobos also seem pickier about their fonts and ePub specifications. My PocketBooks (using the Constantia font) have clean display, full page (without the occasional empty spaces at the bottom of the page). PocketBooks also have the page turn keys (which I like). I don't know if I would use TTS(?) text to speech, or listen to audio books on it, but it would be nice to have those choices.

But the main reason I like the PocketBooks is because you can get your ePub books from anywhere (even from Kobo). And you can also sync these books across devices, using PocketBook's Cloud. Just download the .ascm file and send it to the PocketBook (online or via USB) and it will download the book — sync it to PocketBook's Cloud and it's available on online.

Anyway, that's my opinion. The Clara HD and PocketBook HD 3 are both nice devices, I don't think you could go wrong with either.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #10
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Καλησπέρα!
Well, there are lots of pdfs with greek classics around. Viewing PFDs on a 6 inch reader for me needs pre-processing on the PC.
1. The pdfs are modern files that you are able to copy/paste text from. Calibre can convert these to epub, but sometimes headers and footers are a mess. I still prefer to convert the pdf to mobi using the -very old- free software mobipocket creator and then feed the mobi file to calibre for epub conversion. This resulted in most cases correct removal of headers/footers. Nowadays Word opens pdf and also acrobat pro works well to export to doc. If you are lucky enough that header/footers are identified correctly you can simply remove them in word and feed the word file to calibre for conversion to epub.
2. Older pdfs which are essentially photos of pages of old books many times in 2 columns per page. I had a big collection of Greek classics like Kazantzakis etc. in such format. The only solution that made it work was using Papercrop software (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31677). This is also an old program, but worked rather well. It cropped automatically and put the columns of a page one below the other and also repeated some lines on top and below so that you never missed anything. You then used the ebook readers pdf software.
3. Newly created pdfs even with columns but only text are sometimes well reflowed by the ebook's pdf reader. It's a hit or miss though and depends on each file.

Using the above is ebook reader device agnostic and so long it is calibre compatible you are good to go (practically all).

I haven't read any such pdfs since 2014-2015 so I don't know if there are other solutions available nowadays. For scientific pdfs with figures etc you need minimum 10 inches getting better as you near the real size of an A4 paper so as to have 1:1.
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote