Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
Just to cleanup this thread: InkPad X is perfectly useable for long sequential book reading / listening (be it a simpler PDF or ePub), no need to get an android for such a purpose (moreover, I expect lots of progress in e-ink technology... so invested only the minimal for 10.1", already having such a tablet).

I am discussing further the [koreader-]UI interaction only.

"https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/4137"

Thanks, I will get back as long as gathered relevant experience (will take time).
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a look at the forthcoming Onyx Boox Note Air. It's 10.3" and seems quite nice.
Yes, the NoteBook Air does seem very attractive. I'm waiting for reviews to come in after it's Oct. 10 (?) release.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

October's come and gone, and there is still no firmware update for the......[drum-roll, please]...Inkpad X.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
etn
etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Pocketbook
I have had an 8" Inkpad 3 (not X) since 2017; early 2020 I wanted a 10" to read PDFs for some university courses I took. I too was balancing the Inkpad X vs Boox Note 2.
My reason for considering the Inkpad X was the overall good experience I've had with Pocketbook. I eventually chose the Note 2 for the following reasons: (in no particular order of importance)

1) more flash memory than the Inkpad (64 vs - IIRC - 32 GB in the Inkpad)
Epubs are usually small but PDFs can take many more megabytes. I like to take my entire library with me when going on long trips.

2) 8-core processor + more RAM: my Inkpad 3 is "fast enough" but no speed demon. The Note 2 is a monster in comparison!

3) Android: I originally didn't care about the OS but am glad it runs Android. This enables reading the (very few) Kindle books I own through the Kindle app.

4) Just wanted to try something else for a change...

After almost 1 year of use, here's my feedback on the Note 2:
- it's fast!
- despite the 10" size, it is light (I usually take it pretty much everywhere with me)
- battery lasts about 2-3 weeks with around 3 hours of use per day. I use it only for reading (no note taking) with usually low levels of light.
- I like the fact that the reader allows to configure touch fields. I configured mine as follows: top left to decrease font size, top right to increase font size, top center to change light level, left middle to turn page back, center for the menu, right middle and the entire bottom of the screen to jump to next page.
- the Boox cover is nice and offers good protection + magnetic switch on / off when you open / close the lid.

(Minor) negative points of the Note 2 (none of which are deal breaker)
- my girlfriend and I borrow ebooks from the library (onleihe.de). Her Tolino and my Pocketbook support the DRM, I never managed to make it work on the Note 2.
- I wish it had physical page turn buttons like the Pocketbook
- jumping to footnotes is a chore: the reader shows the link but the area you need to touch is so small it is easily missed. This works much better on the Pocketbook.

Other comments:
- forget about the screen protection. I never managed to put it on without bubbles. But I realized the device does not really need one. (I would never use my ipad without screen protection, which also makes the screen less glossy. No such issue with the Boox + Onyx cover)
- I like the fact that both Pocketbook and Boox do not lock you into an ecosystem like e.g. Kindles do. (That's why I'll never buy a Kindle)

Onyx just released the Note 3 and Note Air, which is a slight upgrade to the Note 2 - mainly Android 10 and a somewhat faster system. It seems that Note 2 are sold at a discount, therefore now might be the best time to get one. It seems also that they sell it for the price of the Note Air, but you get much more with the Note 2. (Disclaimer: the last paragraph is based on a limited research, I might be wrong here)

Hope this helps

etn
etn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #35
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etn View Post
my girlfriend and I borrow ebooks from the library (onleihe.de). Her Tolino and my Pocketbook support the DRM, I never managed to make it work on the Note 2.
The Onleihe app helps here.
And if you are not satisfied with this reading part, you can use the Pocketbook app
Quote:
I wish it had physical page turn buttons like the Pocketbook
Boox has a wonderful bluetooth remote control.
Quote:
It seems also that they sell it for the price of the Note Air, but you get much more with the Note 2.
It depends on what you want.
Note Air has the best screen I know - in my opinion. more evenly illuminated than e.g. Poke 2

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-08-2020 at 09:45 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, the NoteBook Air does seem very attractive. I'm waiting for reviews to come in after it's Oct. 10 (?) release.
Here they are!
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you!

(I've already seen almost all of his deep reviews, including the one you mention.)

By the way, it looks like Amazon [U.S.A] is now carrying the Note Air. I'm still debating on its purchase...

ADDED: Well, the Note Air was listed 1 or 2 days ago, but I don't see it now. I'm sure it'll be back soon. It's view is confirmed by looking at my Browsing History.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-08-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #38
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I bought the InkPad X at a great offer from German PocketBook (E-reader + 2 covers + free shipping to Spain = 288 €) and I find it a very good device. Beautiful screen with very good illumination in landscape mode. I use it almost exclusively with KOReader to read 2-column landscape ePubs and some scanned PDFs. For this limited task it is a perfect e-reader. And for books with DRM, PBReader is a more than sufficient reading program. Very happy with the purchase.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

So.....what's going on with the Inkpad X ? - EOL or moribund? Or thriving?

Any updates from more than 2 (?) years ago?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #40
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I bought it a short time ago. The software version has a release date of 11/26/2020 (possibly a minor fix to the initial software) , although I use KOReader which has daily updates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-WF...w?usp=drivesdk
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
I bought it a short time ago. The software version has a release date of 11/26/2020 (possibly a minor fix to the initial software) , although I use KOReader which has daily updates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-WF...w?usp=drivesdk

Thank you for the new info.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #42
mchack
mchack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
I'm using the Inkpad X for Pdfs for a few months now (mostly pdf textbooks or pdf study papers) and the croping is working wonderfully so I can read A4 pages without scrolling very nicely. I also don't take notes and I like the reader very much.
Only thing that bothers me more and more is the touch screen, that can't be deactivated. You can't really hold the damn thing without it turning the page or thinking you want to mark something or doing stuff, which is quite annoying. I'm hoping for a software fix for that, and other than that, I think the pocketbook is the perfect A4 pdf reader.
mchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #43
mchack
mchack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchack View Post
I'm using the Inkpad X for Pdfs for a few months now (mostly pdf textbooks or pdf study papers) and the croping is working wonderfully so I can read A4 pages without scrolling very nicely. I also don't take notes and I like the reader very much.
Only thing that bothers me more and more is the touch screen, that can't be deactivated. You can't really hold the damn thing without it turning the page or thinking you want to mark something or doing stuff, which is quite annoying. I'm hoping for a software fix for that, and other than that, I think the pocketbook is the perfect A4 pdf reader.
Can't seem to find an edit function so I'll just reply to myself.
Well actually you can disable the touchscreen:
Settings/Personalize/Key Mapping/EPUB,FB2 and Others (and/or) PDF and DjVu/Backward (Hold) -> Touch screen lock
mchack is offline   Reply With Quote