Notices

Old 09-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #976
SandLizard
SandLizard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Moto g(7) Android 10, LG-M430 Android 7.0
Thumbs down .reg file question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only reason for the .reg file on the desktop was quick and dirty. Basically, just testing the concept. As for the 10 second delay, on my system, KindleforPC flipped the value in under 3 seconds.
If the .reg file does not have to be on the desktop where would be the best place to put it?
SandLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #977
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandLizard View Post
If the .reg file does not have to be on the desktop where would be the best place to put it?
.reg are Quick and dirty ways to add a Registry entry. Once you have run the REG, you can 1) toss it, 2)archive where you save the 'good stuff' that you might want, if you need to recover or build another system.

Desktop should NEVER be used for anything you want to keep. Cleanup loses more Only Copy than any other thing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 12:38 AM   #978
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandLizard View Post
As I said, quick and dirty for testing. Pick a folder that is not likely to be cleaned either automatically or by user actions for files you want to keep around. The later batch files remove the need for the .reg file and should be used. See message #968 for the last version I am aware of.

Edit: Also please note the suggestion to make sure your Kindle for PC is not the default Kindle device as this allows a windows in which K4PC is able to download a KFX file before the registry value is changed.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-14-2020 at 12:41 AM. Reason: K4PC should not be the default Kindle device
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #979
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
I'm looking for instructions and resources to downgrade Kindle for Mac so I can convert my Kindle books to epub. Where do I go to download an earlier version of Kindle for Mac?
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #980
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
I'm looking for instructions and resources to downgrade Kindle for Mac so I can convert my Kindle books to epub. Where do I go to download an earlier version of Kindle for Mac?
Check the links in the first message in this thread.
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #981
WayneInIndy
WayneInIndy began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Lenovo
I used Method 1 posted by JHOWELL on 2/6/2017 in this thread and it worked just fine.
WayneInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:22 AM   #982
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Use Method 3 it works really well on Windows 10
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #983
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Check the links in the first message in this thread.
Thank you. I have Mac OS Catalina installed so this method won't work for me. I'll see if I can find another workaround.
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #984
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
Thank you. I have Mac OS Catalina installed so this method won't work for me. I'll see if I can find another workaround.
Hi @hannahi

I have Mac OS Catalina running on a Mac Mini 2019 with Calibre 4.23, DeDRM Plugin 6.8.0 and K4Mac 1.26. It all appears to work as according to @odamizu instructions found HERE using Method 2. I also double checked with Odamizu as well. As per the instructions, it adds each book to each folder. You must also download the books by right clicking and not opening the book. It also crashes each time I close K4Mac.

Mac: Mac Mini 2019
K4Mac: 1.26
Calibre: 4.23. (Why this version? Click HERE)
DeDRM: 6.8.0

Everyone else,

I also have the following sets up on other computers / virtual machines.

Mac: MacBook Pro 2013
K4Mac: 1.17
Calibre: 4.23
DeDRM: 6.8

Mac: iMac 2011 & also Virtual Machine
K4Mac: 1.17 (Used for Amazon JP store)
Calibre: 3.48 (Why this version? As older than Mojave, this is the last version that will work on this machine)
DeDRM: 6.7

Note: Issues with getting K4Mac in virtual machine to connect to my Japanese amazon account. Not sure what is going on here. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know? Will provide more information soon on what I'm getting, not sure if this is the right place to talk about this...

I also have K4PC on PC and Virtual Machine.

I'm obviously looking at getting rid of the old iMac and PC eventually and just using the virtual machines as backup and also to access my Japanese account

Question: How do people manage the books that need to be DRM'd using a newer version of K4Mac using method 2 that downloads each book into a separate folder? I know some just download the book as soon as they purchase it, but I can't do this all the time, so usually do it maybe once a week and sometimes downloading more than 20 books or so. So pretty much download them in bulk. When I use 1.17, it shows me all those I have downloaded so far, so I know which ones I need to download/DRM as they are the ones that haven't already been downloaded.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #985
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChanDroid View Post
Okay, I dusted off my old DOS skills (with a bit of memory-enhancement from our friend Google...), and made this little batch file to delete the pesky KindleForPC-installer.exe file and then start the Kindle for PC program
Brilliant, thanks!
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #986
bobade
bobade began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Works perfectly! About a minute after opening Kindle for PC (1'm using 1.16), a new version of KindleForPC-installer.exe shows up in the Updates subfolder. Though the batch file works now, I set up a shortcut to the Updates subfolder so that I can manually delete any update files before opening the Kindle for PC application. Any company that will stealthily update your application, despite your request not to do so, may decide to change the name of the update executable from time to time ....
bobade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #987
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Well, dangit.

Macintosh OS 10.15.7
Kindle for Mac 1.27.0
Calibre 5.3.0

On Saturday I purchased and downloaded an ebook from Amazon. Sent it over to Calibre as per usual. No problem.

Over the weekend I upgraded to Calibre 5.3.0 .

This morning I purchased and downloaded an ebook from Amazon. Sent it over to Calibre as per usual.

And I'm getting the dreaded "this book is locked by DRM" error message.

I updated all my Calibre plug-ins to make sure there wasn't anything outdated, and restarted Calibre. Deleted the offending book from Calibre, deleted it from Kindle, redownloaded it, tried again.

Same thing.

And just to double-check, I went back to the book I had downloaded on Saturday. Sent it over to Calibre again, making a second copy in Calibre. And the new copy gives me the "this book is locked by DRM" error, while the original Calibre copy from Saturday still works just fine. (I did not need to download it again. I had not opened the book in Kindle, so it was still in its azw format.)

edit: I went back and downgraded to Calibre 5.2.0, even restarted the computer before trying again, but the de-DRM is still broken. Dangit!

Why has a Calibre update broken the de-DRM feature? And how can I fix it?

Last edited by Amazondoc; 10-26-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #988
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post
Why has a Calibre update broken the de-DRM feature? And how can I fix it?
See the thread FOR ALL THE "DEDRM ISN'T WORKING!!!" POSTS....
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #989
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChanDroid View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant by aggressive in my previous post.
I'm used to it happening every couple of weeks or so, but now it's nearly constant!

I mean, come on, Ama$on - Just because I've, ahem, "borrowed" over 600 ebooks from KU, shouldn't be grounds for you to try to curtail it...
I haven't tested this in quite a while but it was a few years back and DeDRM would not remove DRM from a KU book which fits with the if you don't own it, don't remove DRM spirit of the anti-piracy notice on Apprentice Alf's blog. Now to wonder when that changed...
Old 10-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #990
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Thanks!
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc