Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #781
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying to not say it's OK to use KSM. It's not OK. If it works for you, that's good. But at some point it became unsafe to use it and we don't know when that is. So it's easier to just say not to use it.
We know it’s subtly broken on mark 7 devices though what specifically that means is beyond me (though certainly not others) and I’m gonna bet we could find out the latest firmware that runs it without issue.

An informed public is better than an uninformed public. And your way leads to an uninformed public.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #782
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll have you know my Kobo and Kindle are both up-to-date.
Yes -now- but as I mentioned there’s evidence you wait upwards of two weeks if not more. Think of the damage that could potentially be done in that time! The bugs and glitches that are just waiting to be triggered! Nothing but instantly updating can save you or your kobo!

Quote:
Just as I get ready to install 4.23.15505, Kobo goes and comes out with yet another firmware version. Guess I'll have to wait.
Over a week later of using buggy glitchy inferior firmware Jon was just about ready to install the new firmware.

Clearly we can not take his word that KSM is so dangerous since he risks his kobo this way.

Last edited by MGlitch; 08-27-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #783
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
At no point did it "become unsafe to use KSM". At some point the Kobo firmware changed in a way that made it so that KSM would not work properly with that firmware. It is in no way "unsafe" to not be able to use KSM on a device running under such firmware, inconvenient, disappointing yes. If there is an earlier firmware, that runs well enough, for that device, then KSM can probably still run fine on that device. Yes there well be those who own very recent devices who will not be able to use KSM, for the most part that is spelled out in the KSM thread.

If it won't work on your device, you need not use it. If you try it, and it doesn't work, remove it, no harm done. No one needs to try KSM if they don't feel like it. That said; It is certainly OK to use KSM, for many Kobo users.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #784
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
At no point did it "become unsafe to use KSM". At some point the Kobo firmware changed in a way that made it so that KSM would not work properly with that firmware. It is in no way "unsafe" to not be able to use KSM on a device running under such firmware, inconvenient, disappointing yes. If there is an earlier firmware, that runs well enough, for that device, then KSM can probably still run fine on that device. Yes there well be those who own very recent devices who will not be able to use KSM, for the most part that is spelled out in the KSM thread.

If it won't work on your device, you need not use it. If you try it, and it doesn't work, remove it, no harm done. No one needs to try KSM if they don't feel like it. That said; It is certainly OK to use KSM, for many Kobo users.

Luck;
Ken
The only known hardware that KSM won't work with is Mark 7 hardware. If I really did want to use KSM to bypass Nickel on boot and go straight to a KOReader, I'd install an earlier firmware that I know KSM will work with. But I will not install KSM with 4.23.15548 as it most likely won't work and could cause me to have to factory reset. If we knew what firmware is the cutoff point, then we could stop arguing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #785
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
The only known hardware that KSM won't work with is Mark 7 hardware. If I really did want to use KSM to bypass Nickel on boot and go straight to a KOReader, I'd install an earlier firmware that I know KSM will work with. But I will not install KSM with 4.23.15548 as it most likely won't work and could cause me to have to factory reset. If we knew what firmware is the cutoff point, then we could stop arguing.
Something this forum should have drilled into you by now is your desires do not line up with everyone elses.

I've no use for KSM. I prefer NickleMenu. But if people want to use KSM to do what it can do that's for them to decide.

Eventually it'll probably get to a point where KSM won't work at all on any modern Kobo (modern being the ones Kobo sells at that point). But we aren't there yet, even the mk7 devices are only "subtly broken".
Old 08-28-2020, 05:12 AM   #786
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
If we knew what firmware is the cutoff point, then we could stop arguing.
Just a few posts above, it was clearly stated there's no such thing as a cut-off point, unless you're making the oddly specific point that you don't know 100 % for sure if 4.23 is still the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
KSM9 has long been used for the Kobo Libra including USB. It runs great with Fw. 4.21.15015 and also under Fw. 4.22.15190.
Combined with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Except that's not the right fb state (On the Libra & Forma, for sure, quite possibly on a host of other Mk. 7 devices, too), so it'll (not so) subtly break anything that doesn't correct that themselves (which, okay, Nickel, KOReader & Plato do).
I am Spartacus. Er, or I still use KSM anyway.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #787
garcimak
garcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo glo/H2O2V2 (T_T)
after reading all posts here, i'm in the dark

is there any workaround for this issue on H2o2 V2 ?
i intend to stay under 4.10.655 FW,

mirrored touch on KSM9 (tried updating without result)

touch bottom left --> registered top right
touch top right --> registered bottom left

but PBchess package and menu are all working flawlessly,
why is that ?
garcimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #788
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcimak View Post
after reading all posts here, i'm in the dark

is there any workaround for this issue on H2o2 V2 ?
i intend to stay under 4.10.655 FW,

mirrored touch on KSM9 (tried updating without result)

touch bottom left --> registered top right
touch top right --> registered bottom left

but PBchess package and menu are all working flawlessly,
why is that ?
Why would you stay on 4.10.655 when there are some rather good enhancements since then?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #789
garcimak
garcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheesegarcimak can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Why would you stay on 4.10.655 when there are some rather good enhancements since then?
reading CBZ comic and manga in nickel,
4.10.11655 was the last one That resets the panning position when going to next previous page (return to Top of next/previous page but keeping my "zoom level" ). later FW were acting like 'i'm in the bottom of my page, next page, it stays in bottom and i must crawl to the top' maybe there's better way to read comics now. i don't know about actual FW behaviour
Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #790
garcimak

no way to edit post avec 5 minutes : i would also wanted to be able to Display the actual zoom level in terms of number and a plus/minus button instead a cursor to have a Sharper level précision.
updates have never been in the right direction to my uses.

with that and KSM problems, was gutted about this H2o2 (don't know about actual FW behaviour though).

Any good alternative ? is nickelmenu like ksm with shortcuts to vlalvsoft pbchess ?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #791
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcimak View Post
reading CBZ comic and manga in nickel,
4.10.11655 was the last one That resets the panning position when going to next previous page (return to Top of next/previous page but keeping my "zoom level" ). later FW were acting like 'i'm in the bottom of my page, next page, it stays in bottom and i must crawl to the top' maybe there's better way to read comics now. i don't know about actual FW behaviour
I think the change was so that you could zoom in on a page to remove any margins and then page through it without needing to zoom in again. Which is something I can remember seeing complaints about needing to do. I assume that Kobo receives complaints, or did usage testing that suggested this was the desired behaviour.

And something I hadn't noticed. The current firmware doesn't have the position map when panning. It is still there for PDFs, but, I'm sure it used to be there for comics. Am I wrong?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:16 AM   #792
garcimak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And something I hadn't noticed. The current firmware doesn't have the position map when panning. It is still there for PDFs, but, I'm sure it used to be there for comics. Am I wrong?
for comics,no, i've seen no position map on FW4.10.11655 and below, no big deal : seems to me to be a non useful feature
Old 09-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #793
bajillioneer
bajillioneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
How come I don't have an option to install Nickel updates in controlled? I only have

INFO
give a recommendation
KR install uncontrolled
delete update
return
bajillioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #794
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajillioneer View Post
How come I don't have an option to install Nickel updates in controlled? I only have

INFO
give a recommendation
KR install uncontrolled
delete update
return
Did you delete the file KR_install_controlled.txt in .adds\kbmenu_user\excludefiles?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #795
bettonnotteb
bettonnotteb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h2o
I upgraded my mark 5 Aura H2O to 4.23.15548 today. I had to use KBStartMenu_09_restore.zip. KSM, koreader, plato, and vlasovsoftlauncher seem fine and even my python works as before.
bettonnotteb is offline   Reply With Quote