Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was just curious why you would use the word "suspect"; you could just say there are "few".

And than we could nitpick the definition of few.
Unfortunately open ePubs (in my experience at least) are generally not the type of book that the typical person actually wants to read. The ones I've seen have tended toward rather heavy-weight academic tomes. But that may of course simply indicate that I've been looking in the wrong place .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #122
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i have had at least one (UK) library loan that appeared with no DRM. e.g. when I did download epub at checkout I got a whole book but with a gibberish file name, not a licence file for ADE. I don't recall the specific title though. would have been fiction, not non fiction.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #123
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately open ePubs (in my experience at least) are generally not the type of book that the typical person actually wants to read. The ones I've seen have tended toward rather heavy-weight academic tomes. But that may of course simply indicate that I've been looking in the wrong place .
Maybe different here in the U.S.? For the link I provided, of the 4,573 books 4,227 are categorized as fiction.

For example, some of Brandon Sanderson's books are available.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I strongly suspect that there are few publishers who would be willing to allow libraries to lend ebooks without DRM, and its absence would completely destroy the textbook rental market. Like it or not, DRM has its place.
For the libraries, the DRM also serves to enforce the time limit on a loan. If I borrow an open epub from my local library, it does not have a limited reading period. Given the limits on lending with most ebooks obtained by libraries, having a single patron borrow and not return a book might be a bit of an issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #125
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I had a quick look at the open epubs that my library's Overdrive offers, and it's not that at all. One of the biggest categories there is romance, and it includes such heavy-hitting authors as Nalini Singh, Courtney Milan, Lauren Dane, Jennie Jones, Sarah Barrie.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #126
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a way, it's irrelevant? The current library standard of DRM is not exactly fort Knox. Anyone who want to crack it, can.

For me, as the library reading apps improve, like Libby, I am ok with reading in that an not bothering with the hassle of downloading epub via ade. Yes, moon reader is more customisable but Libby is good enough for a read it once novel.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #127
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
In a way, it's irrelevant? The current library standard of DRM is not exactly fort Knox. Anyone who want to crack it, can.

For me, as the library reading apps improve, like Libby, I am ok with reading in that an not bothering with the hassle of downloading epub via ade. Yes, moon reader is more customisable but Libby is good enough for a read it once novel.
If you only read library books this is a viable option. If you "purchase" and don't keep your own backups, then I hope that you don't live to regret it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #128
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
If you only read library books this is a viable option. If you "purchase" and don't keep your own backups, then I hope that you don't live to regret it.
the only store with DRM that I buy from is amazon uk, and I have a workflow for de-drming those via an old version of Kindle for PC.
i use the local(overdrive) library as a source of read-it-once & return it novels
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #129
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the only store with DRM that I buy from is amazon uk, and I have a workflow for de-drming those via an old version of Kindle for PC.
i use the local(overdrive) library as a source of read-it-once & return it novels
In that case you are very well set.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 AM   #130
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDK View Post
Readium LCP is a reality:
https://www.edrlab.org/2017/09/20/de...cp-mobile-app/
And it will become a DRM standard for ebooks within next 3 years:
https://www.edrlab.org/2018/09/11/an...-iso-standard/
They are also considering including PDF. So, in Europe I am sure, it will be accepted and used
The clock is ticking...
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:55 AM   #131
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I hate DRM, but this news means e-reader apps could emancipate themselves from Adobe Mobile.
I don't think so.
Someone has to pay for this, and small companies will be financially-forced to join one or the other of the big players.

What I find it to be the most dangerous, is that the installed base of readers would become useless for the new books. Software can be updated (upgraded here would be a misnomer ), but portable players would be an instant kill.
Everyone would be forced, if they want to, to move to the new platforms, like iPads or Android tablets, which can do pretty much everything (the market for photo and video lost significant shares, since everyone was happy with the quality of the cellphone/tablet photos).

This would either force the normal citizen to change and pay more, or kill the ebooks niche. I doubt clever people would move along, since the new books, written under contract, became mass-products, as opposed to real books, written by people that had really something to say (Aristotle, Plato, and all authors before Bern 1860).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #132
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Best option is NO DRM.
Copyright is important, but DRM isn't the way to enforce it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
People will not buy eBooks with DRM they cannot either use or remove. So this DRM mentioned in the first post is worthless. There are too many devices with RMSDK and also here is Overdrive. So if any publisher and/or store switches to this DRM, sales will tank.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #134
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I don't think so.

This would either force the normal citizen to change and pay more, or kill the ebooks niche. I doubt clever people would move along, since the new books, written under contract, became mass-products, as opposed to real books, written by people that had really something to say (Aristotle, Plato, and all authors before Bern 1860).
So no one after 1860 had nothing important to say and did not write "real books"?
Not to mention that authors used to be paid by the word and would pad their books to increase their payments.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:55 PM   #135
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Oh hum, "The NeverEnding Story!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote