Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Jointech adds ZuluExpress Software

I was just on the Jointech Download page and they have added a new reading application. I would think that it should work on both the JE100 and the JE200. I remember trying this app sometime back and it did not work well with my JE100 so I removed it. I am hoping that the one on their site is a different version. If it does then that means we have an epub reader.

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 02-09-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add info
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Tested on JE-100 and it crashes repeatedly after I open a book. Too bad since most of my books are ePub. Could be my device though since I'm having other issues with it.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Hi Guys,

It's ondabeach here, the developer of ZuluExpress. The Jointech people asked me if I could speed up the page turning for them so they obviously have it working ok.If you can send me as much info like error messages or exactly when the problem occurs I'll do what I can to sort it out for you.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Hi Guys,

It's ondabeach here, the developer of ZuluExpress. The Jointech people asked me if I could speed up the page turning for them so they obviously have it working ok.If you can send me as much info like error messages or exactly when the problem occurs I'll do what I can to sort it out for you.
Thanks Ondabeach. I installed ZE last night and plan to go thru it today. I'll be glad to give feed back.

Ellen
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Another issue is that the program appears to be larger than the screen. I can't see all the icons at the bottom and the start up screen logo extends beyond the right border of the screen. Also, when I click the settings icon, the page color settings are half off the screen to the right as well.

Look like it will be a great reader and I will be so happy to use my existing ePub files!
I get the following error when I touch the screen a to turn a page on an open book (tested on the default book).

ZuleReader.exe
Error
An unexpected error has occurred in ZuleReader.exe
Select Quit and the restart this program or select details for more information.

Details:
Error
ZuluReader.exe
NullReferenceException

At ZuluReader.MainForm.Page_Mousedown()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WnProc()
at System.Windows.Control_InternalWnProc()
at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop()
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run()
at ZuluReader.MainForm.Main()
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi Ellyn and Katelyn,

The error is probably related to the screen size issue. Ideveloped ZR for WinMo Smartphones and PPC's all of which have much samller screens. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

We are partnering up with Jointech in a big way, I will be modifying ZR to integrate with Jointech's reader devices as though they were designed for each other (in fact they will be . ZuluReader will then come pre-installed from the factory.

I will be ordering a JE200 today so I can start work ASASP Please tell me it's as sexy in the hand as it looks on their site. It makes the iPad look like one of those wooden framed chalk slates our grandads used in school!!!!!!

In the meantime I will have a squiz at my code and see if I can't improve things for you guys now.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector

Thanks Onda!

I love the looks of the Jointech reader. It is also very nice to hold and use.

A couple of Questions: When I installed I got an error referencing a dll. I got a message telling me that Zulu was not installed and to try to install again. However it was installed and opened. I am wondering if that has something to do with where I installed the software. Can it be installed on the memory card or do you recommend installing it in the main memory?

Also, I am having a problem learning how to use the program. I looked on your website to see if there was a manual, but I didn't see it.
For example the check marks in front of the titles. Should they be all checked or just the one I want to open? I am just a bit confused on finding my way around in the software.

One thing that I do like so far is that the side buttons are mapped to the application so that I can go forward a page and back a page.

Ellen
Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Katelyn
Addict

Ellen, it sounds like you didn't have errors or crashes like I did. I'm using a 100 and I assume you are using a 200? Do you also have the issue with the program size being larger than the screen? Hopefully, some others will install so we can confirm whether the error is device or program related. I didn't understand the buttons either but then I can only see the top half of them.

Steve, thanks for all your efforts! Looks very nice!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Hi Katelyn, I've installed in on my je100 and at first I had a problem with the program size, but when I increased the font size it started to fit better. I can not swear that is what resolved the issue, as I was playing with several settings at once.

Hi Steve, Great program, some instructions would be helpful, and if possible add a function to set margins, and maybe a way to save profiles, so that I can save a daytime and a nighttime preference. Thank You very much for an excellent program.

Frank
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Ellen, it sounds like you didn't have errors or crashes like I did. I'm using a 100 and I assume you are using a 200? Do you also have the issue with the program size being larger than the screen? Hopefully, some others will install so we can confirm whether the error is device or program related. I didn't understand the buttons either but then I can only see the top half of them.

Steve, thanks for all your efforts! Looks very nice!
Katelyn,

Right now I am trying to get it to work on the JE100. At first no, I did not have any crashes. Now I do. The screen size is too big at first but then it kinda changes to fit when it shows the covers of the books I have in the directory. However once I choose one, I get the same error message as you.

I did change my settings to a larger font and it did act better as far as fit, but that was at the begining before I started getting the error.

Ellen
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I don't get the error message when I install ZuluExpress, but page turning is extremely slow. Too slow to be usable, unfortunately. And then when I try to adjust anything, it stops working. I'd be interested in trying it again if a version that is tweaked for the JE100 is released.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi Guys, tks for the input.

Ok, I will knock up a rough users guide and post it on the site, I'll post here again when it's ready.

Also I am modding the code so that whilst you are reading one page the next is being pre-rendered in memory. Then, when you turn the page it will only take as long to appear as the processor and OS take to display an image

ZuluReader already has "Color Schemes" for different reading conditions. Maybe you need to download the update.

Last edited by ondabeach; 02-11-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #13
ondabeach
Groupie

I just uploaded the basic user guide to the site. It is pretty rough but should help you familiarize yourself with the buttons.
download it here.

I have covered all the basic stuff. If I missed anything important please let me know. I will be creating an ePUB version later on.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Katelyn
Addict

I adjusted the font type and size and didn't get an error while turning about 5 pages. I'll test again when I have more time. The buttons are still half off the lower screen and the program is still wider that screen size but I'm sure you will be looking into that.

Thanks again and I'll check out the user's guide!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Hi Guys, tks for the input.

Also I am modding the code so that whilst you are reading one page the next is being pre-rendered in memory. Then, when you turn the page it will only take as long to appear as the processor and OS take to display an image

ZuluReader already has "Color Schemes" for different reading conditions. Maybe you need to download the update.
Pre-rending the next page ahead of time will work most of the time, but what if you choose to go backwards or jump to a distant page? Somehow, it needs to be made faster in general.

I'm not sure what you mean by downloading an update. As far as I can tell, I installed the most recent version.

OK, don't be offended, but the appearance of ZuluExpres, while cute, is not very slick. It looks like a non-professional product. I think you should give it a more professional, less cartoony appearance. I mean this in a constructive way.

I think ZuluExpress has a lot of potential for the JE100!
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote