Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Microsoft's vision of the year 2019

This has been out for a few weeks but I didn't see any links yet so here you go. (Please remove if I'm wrong)

This is a concept video of the year 2019 by Microsoft Labs, which includes epaper/eInk technologies. Enjoy...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
more like 2069 but still. it looks great. great concept video.

Touch Screens everywhere. 2019 True
Cloud Computing. 2030
Wireless Cloud (every device connected wirelessly with eachother) 2050
Flexable touch screens. 2030

Minority Report Desk, 2050
Minority Report Chalkboard, 2100

Last edited by Andybaby; 03-13-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Fingerprints everywhere!

The the clarity and simplicity of those graphics and typography on the interfaces are so completely contrary to anything Microsoft would ever design ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Where's the start button?

How many people are going to be blinded by the "blue wall of death"?
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is an entirely ridiculuous concept of the future of computing. It envisons the computer human interface becoming less powerful with time. To some extent that was inevitable with the first generation of computing as it was neccessary to entice adults into using computers. But if anyone seriously believes that computers, which will be used for everything, are going to rely on clumsy touch interfaces to get real work done, they're thinking of the present not the future.

In fact I predict that the whole concept of pointing based interfaces will become increasingly obsolete, having to physically mve objects, like a mouse or a hand to interface with tiny targets on a screen is simply too inefficient. The future lies in talking to computers with language not gestures. In the near future that language will still be a computer language and the interface will still be the keyboard, eventually the language will become natural language and the interface will become voice.

That's not too say that touchscreens wont be useful for specialized (and limited) applications, but that's about it...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Kovid, I think that the point you make in the first paragraph is completely valid.

But I don't agree with the fact that a full voice interface would be faster.
With a little training, it's easy to type faster than you can speak.
I don't really see keyboards disappearing until you can control and type just by thinking about it.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I don't really see keyboards disappearing until you can control and type just by thinking about it.
Oh I hope I'm dead by then, I'd be in so much trouble...

I had found this site awhile back on UI design... His points were specific to what he feels are flaws by filmmakers about future UI designs but I found alot of them were spot on... Plus there are some good links off it... One of which describes just how exhausted a person would be reaching around with their arms with a touch based UI manipulation system.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/film-ui-bloopers.html

-MJ
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Just had a quick look, it seems interesting and valid points.
I'll have a more detailed look during the WE.

Thanks for the link.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Look at the "space" in the clip. Airlines with 5 feet of space between seats. A huge room populated with just a desk. This is Microsoft's vision of utopia, not a realistic vision of the future. And it's only limited to the rich. That airline seat will cost you a bundle. The rest of us will be crammed in the back in "standing room only." And don't expect your cubicle to get any larger.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didnt see any flying cars anywhere... I guess that prediction was just for 2000.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
mjh215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I didnt see any flying cars anywhere... I guess that prediction was just for 2000.
They also forgot my personal rocket pack...

-MJ
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Kovid, I think that the point you make in the first paragraph is completely valid.

I agree, I would never use a voice interface to replace the keyboard, but to supplement it. My point was that as far as easy to use interfaces go vioce is much more important than touch, even though touch is the current rage.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Most people I know either never learned how to touch type, or simply are too lazy to exercise the skill. I suspect this is all too common. If this is really the case then for the average jane/joe voice recognition may eventually become the chief method of input. Physical keyboards might even become an optional accessory.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

2019? good gawds, with luck I will be dust by then...
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
There's a really interesting video here, which is about current research into doing some of the things MS envisions: TED: Talks Pattie Maes & Pranav Mistry: Unveiling the "Sixth Sense," game-changing wearable tech

I think it's difficult to say that one type of interface interaction is better than another - it not only depends on the situation, but also one the person. SOme are more comfortable with tactile interaction, while others prefer to use words.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote