Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
You did ask a specific question and it seems a little unfair to criticise when people give you an answer.
Really? If you really think that, maybe a public discussion forum isn't the thing for you. Brace your self, I'm about to criticize your response more: You did not answer "is there anything wrong with being prolific.". At best, you seemed to answer the non-question "is it possible to be prolific and also not be good." In doing so, you also seemed to imply that anyone who is prolific is putting out stuff no better than your algorithm. That's neither fair nor accurate. And no one said you had to like the stuff they write, but you don't have to like it to give them due credit for their accomplishment. And I think it is an impressive accomplishment.

Last edited by ApK; 06-24-2013 at 08:49 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #47
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I guess it would be possible to write a program to produce this type of stuff endlessly.
Bestsellers? Not in my lifetime.

However, googling shows that computer-generated books do sell, although not much:

He Wrote 200,000 Books (but Computers Did Some of the Work)
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why not? There's something wrong with being prolific now?
They didn't scam anyone into buying them, or say "please buy these to save our house."

They were able to quickly produce stories that people are willing to pay for, and seem to want more of. I wish I could. As far as I can tell, it's no sure thing to make a living as a self published writer, period.

The news story here is just that things fell into place for them right when they most needed it to. That's nice.
I didn't say they should be boiled in oil for producing a massive number of books. I didn't say there was anything wrong with what they did. All I said was that I don't find their story inspiring, any more than I would find it inspiring if they bought a ton of lottery tickets and hit the jackpot. Fine for them, but not inspirational for me.

Frankly, the more I think about the story--or the bare bones of it that we got--the more it seems crazy. I mean, they're in dire financial straits, they're desperate for cash, and they decide the most viable way to make quick money is to write books?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #49
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I mean, they're in dire financial straits, they're desperate for cash, and they decide the most viable way to make quick money is to write books?
I hadn't thought of that. When you put it that way....
Maybe no one told them it was hard to make a living that way.

On the other hand, if I understand the story correctly, they had a book or two out already, and she was an arts teacher, so they probably had some idea about what they were doing.
It's not like they were iron workers and turned to writing romance stories at the last minute.

Meh, in any case, I'm inspired. I want to write something now.

Last edited by ApK; 06-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Meh, in any case, I'm inspired. I want to write something now.
I am writing something. But it's still inspiring. I hope to finish the draft this week and start revising/editing/getting into shape in the next few weeks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #51
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Frankly, the more I think about the story--or the bare bones of it that we got--the more it seems crazy. I mean, they're in dire financial straits, they're desperate for cash, and they decide the most viable way to make quick money is to write books?
I know it might seem a little strange, but I have started thinking the same way. What can I do without having to invest a massive amount of money? How can I use my existing skills to get out of the situation I'm in - or at least make it better? I'm not in financial hardship at the moment - my thoughts are more about changing my lifestyle.

I still think the cottage nature of some of these areas - ebooks, music, app development, art, video production and even craft & fashion design - are sometimes not fully appreciated. People are used to having a "job" and they feel that being a entrepreneur usually means massive investment and risk.

But the financial and technical barriers are now actually quite low for some of these artistic/creative pursuits and there is a viable market out there for all of them. For everyone? Possibly not. But for those with the skills and the determination? I believe so.

I think this couple sat down and said, "What can we do for which there is a market?"

It may not be so much an inspiration, but a confirmation on what is possible.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #52
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I know it might seem a little strange, but I have started thinking the same way. What can I do without having to invest a massive amount of money? How can I use my existing skills to get out of the situation I'm in - or at least make it better? I'm not in financial hardship at the moment - my thoughts are more about changing my lifestyle.
[...]
I think this couple sat down and said, "What can we do for which there is a market?"

Yeah, this. Ditto. +1. Me too.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yes, I can understand that, but these people were in dire straits, if the story is accurate. And with five young kids. The article says they were 30 days from losing their house--so in 30 days they managed to write and sell enough books to make their mortgage payment?

Quote:

There's way too much missing information; I just looked at the article and video clip again. They retreated to their basement to do nothing but write, so intensely that they didn't take time to shower, and just who was watching the five kids, including the sick one that hubby had to leave his job to take care of? And who was doing the design, production, and especially the marketing of these books?

It's possible the way winning the lottery is possible.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's possible the way winning the lottery is possible.
Ah - now I'm getting you.

There's probably been some creative license being used. They are writers don't you know?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #55
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Since I bought a few of these books (way before I knew this story), what is it about me does that show? I am very curious to know.
The authors write steamy romance novels about the overweight and you already have 3 of their books so I'm guessing you fit squarely in their target audience. You're male and reading steamy romance novels which suggests you're a little isolated. The appeal of the fairy tale nature of their success suggests that money is tight for you at the moment. A new book is churned out every 9 days but you enjoy each of them suggesting you're simply looking for escapism which in turn suggests there's unlikely to be a change in your personal circumstances in the near future.

Please remember it was you that asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK
You did not answer "is there anything wrong with being prolific.". At best, you seemed to answer the non-question "is it possible to be prolific and also not be good." In doing so, you also seemed to imply that anyone who is prolific is putting out stuff no better than your algorithm. That's neither fair nor accurate. And no one said you had to like the stuff they write, but you don't have to like it to give them due credit for their accomplishment. And I think it is an impressive accomplishment.
There's certainly nothing wrong with being prolific if it doesn't affect quality but that's a big "if". I think it's fair to say that if you're churning out a book every 9 days then quality and originality has to suffer. Perhaps we're still a few years away from computer generated novels but it will happen - algorithms will analyse what books you like and then produce an endless series of novels tailored to your exact wants. Will these novels be better or worse than those produced by this couple - I can't say. I agree with you though that what they've done is an impressive accomplishment.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-25-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: poor grammer
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #56
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Since I bought a few of these books (way before I knew this story), what is it about me does that show? I am very curious to know. My parents always told me that if you have nothing good to say, just don't say it. Just give the people credit (or not) and just move on. Believe me, the world is not going to care one way or the other.
This basically says it all, thank you Jerseyman.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #57
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
This basically says it all, thank you Jerseyman.
You might want to delete this post then!

Quote:
I refuse to let myself be locked into anything. The publishers want us to buy the same books over & over again to put them on our different readers and the bookstores want to lock us in to only using their stores. They can ALL go to hell!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #58
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
The authors write steamy romance novels about the overweight and you already have 3 of their books so I'm guessing you fit squarely in their target audience. You're male and reading steamy romance novels which suggests you're a little isolated. The appeal of the fairy tale nature of their success suggests that money is tight for you at the moment. A new book is churned out every 9 days but you enjoy each of them suggesting you're simply looking for escapism which in turn suggests there's unlikely to be a change in your personal circumstances in the near future.

Please remember it was you that asked...
You are so far off it is not funny. Yes, they do write books in the area that you suggested, but also plain romance novels as well. Your mistake is to throw your thoughts and morals around on to others that you do not know and have no insight into their motivations. Could it be that those who read the books just happen to like the books? As to my motivations. I enjoy books where people, who are not represented fairly by society in my opinion, are the protagonist of a novel. I am far from "isolated" as you say being a father of 5 and a grandfather of 11. There is no chance for isolation. I own my own home, and have two fairly substantial income streams, so I am far from being in a tight situation monetarily.

What I am trying to convey here is that making generalizations about a situation based on some pre-conceived notions does not too often result in an accurate interpretation of that situation.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #59
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Your mistake is to throw your thoughts and morals around on to others
I didn't. You asked for them. But I'm glad to hear you're doing far better than I pictured
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #60
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I am writing something. But it's still inspiring. I hope to finish the draft this week and start revising/editing/getting into shape in the next few weeks.
I'm going to try to work out a rough idea for July's Camp NaNoWriMo myself.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote