Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Stuck in wierd reboot loop

I tried to install the vnc package, but after installation, it went into a reboot loop in which the kindle reboots after the firmware loads, but before the home screen is shown. During the loading screen, I can access the usb drive. Please help!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
okay first thoughts: please provide a link to the exact vnv package (don't mean to be pedantic but I just honestly don't know exactly which one you mean).
Is this the paid-for one that everyone was complaining about?

You are on a Kindle Touch, *hacked to the core*, it would be good to know if you have any well-known "Gotcha" software installed - Like I dunno Optware or something that always messes stuff up. (as-in better off listing your hacks installed and any little "special" changes you made if any exist)

My instinct (given the place that it is rebooting, I am tracing back through dmesg to see what boots when) would be to attempt to trigger the uninstall via dumping it to the root of the /mnt/us

Whether that will get picked up or you will have to issue command to instigate that process I am not sure.

You say you can access the USB drive. All of it? or just that FAT bit.
as-in is SSH working?

All that info would REALLY help even begin to suggest some actions.
Whether it is me - or someone with more brain cells - who helps you they will most likely want/need that info.

Cheers

One more thought...

Just wait and let it reboot about 20 times. I have had software cause this too.

These are the kind of things I imagine are going on during "Those times"
Spoiler:
1st reboot because some the mem dipped out
2nd because cvm this time fails to boot or something
3rd other reason
4th actually doing something else...
5th it's actually TRYing to reboot this time but files some leftover file and cleans up
6th Reboots again decides the FS not clean
7th has another pop..
8th Wow, it worked seemingly for no reason when I thought it was toast..

So yeah. make sure it is on charge and let it go mental for a bit. see if it sorts it. If you already did that well. meh. worth a try...

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: tried to make it clear and even. and clearer
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Final thoughts - if you DO have ssh. it's probably just stuck something in your init.d's... removing the execute perms on that will at least stop the reboot tide.

Without more data though I dunno... One more thought: I believe this is a "supported package" no? any help there?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If the software is stuck in a tight loop, the watchdog will not be serviced and the SoC will be reset. Which completes the "until fixed { }, repeat" loop.

If anywhere in the instruction sequence, you hit an undefined instruction, the core will take the same exception path used by a watchdog time out (the wd to forces an invalid instruction trap).

Last edited by knc1; 09-10-2012 at 07:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And now it's gone and erased the usb drive...

This VNC https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ing#VNC_Server
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
twobob

ah. well that appears to be for a kindle 5.1? Unless I'm mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Here's x11vnc server for Kindle Touch (sw 5.1).
I have zero experience with what might happen if it installed some 5 hook into a 4.
perhaps someone else has this knowledge
: (

all that said. sounds like a full-on fixup is in order now anyways sorry mate.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
ah. well that appears to be for a kindle 5.1? Unless I'm mistaken.

I have zero experience with what might happen if it installed some 5 hook into a 4.
perhaps someone else has this knowledge
: (

all that said. sounds like a full-on fixup is in order now anyways sorry mate.
What do you mean? I DO have 5.1 (5.1.2)