Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Pulse Feature

I was just wondering, how many of you actually use it?

I've been reading and noticing in the book I've been reading there's no comments whatsoever. I know that I'd probably not see any when I'm not anywhere that gives Wifi or anything and that I wouldn't be able to make comments then (or would they go through after I got in a wifi capable spot? =/).

I'm just wondering, does anyone use the feature? Or do you just turn it off?

I like the idea of it myself, like an on the go book club. Not that I've made any comments yet myself, too much of a rush to get to the next page.. If I'd seen some I probably would have paused though.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Most of the books I've been reading on the Kobo app aren't purchased from Kobo so they don't have the Pulse feature. The one book I did read that had Pulse had no other comments but mine!

I think it might still be early days for the Pulse feature. I would encourage people to use it because I absolutely LOVE the idea, but I'd imagine that unless the book is REALLY popular, we probably won't be seeing much action on it for a while.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Most of the books I've been reading on the Kobo app aren't purchased from Kobo so they don't have the Pulse feature. The one book I did read that had Pulse had no other comments but mine!

I think it might still be early days for the Pulse feature. I would encourage people to use it because I absolutely LOVE the idea, but I'd imagine that unless the book is REALLY popular, we probably won't be seeing much action on it for a while.
Yeah, there has been no pulse for Pulse -- haha - I just love making that joke!

I've commented on a few of my popular Kobo books that I've already read...comments like, "Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?" and I've got NOTHIN' in return. I hear crickets.

I think it's going to take a while for the reading community to get going on this. Once Pulse is available on other devices, we'll start to see some action.

Funny thing is, I see a lot of 'likes' for books I am reading, but no comments. I wonder if these 'likes' come from a different source, other than Pulse (like directly from Facebook). The reason I wonder this, is because I figure those that like the Pulse feature would comment on their book rather than just 'like' their book. Anyone know?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Pokee - "liking" is way lower effort - you just tap on the 'like' button and you don't need to think of anything cogent to say, so we see many more people liking pages than commenting.

That said, very early days for Pulse! Keep using it!!
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
I've never made a comment, I usually just glance at how many people have read the book. I've never seen any comments even in a very popular book.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot

Yeah, I look at how many are reading the book and stuff.. and if I remember hit the 'like' section, though this last book I read it's hard to 'like' something when Room is all about a little boy trying to understand that his mother had been kidnapped and abused.

I know it's a new feature, so I knew there wouldn't be a lot using it yet. Was just curious if there was anyone who did and I've just chosen a book that no one wants to share thoughts on or 'like' as it were because of the topic matter.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
I am reading Wuthering Heights. I think there is some problem with the Pulse feature on my Vox, or maybe the feature in general. On the Vox, it shows the book has been read 0 times, and there are no likes or dislikes, but it does show the comment I posted. On the Kobo app on my ipad, it shows the book being read 74 times, along with likes and dislikes, but does not show my comment, or any others!
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Jesslynne
Zealot

Huh, that's very strange. I wonder how many people that might actually be using it on some popular books, and just that no one else can see comments or likes..
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
easterncoyote
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Huh, that's very strange. I wonder how many people that might actually be using it on some popular books, and just that no one else can see comments or likes..
It certainly looks like there is a problem with it. I hope they get it fixed, because I got the Vox partly because I wanted to use this feature.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Vox is showing comments, number times read,people reading etc. It's nice to see more comments come in on the book as i read along 1Q84), though there still aren't all that many.

What I am not seeing is the pink/red thing at the bottom of the page, instead on my book, it is just a sorta light grayish half circle, and when I tap it, I see everything.

Last edited by taming; 11-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
This is a HUGE reason why I got the Vox, too. So far, I've had ZERO comments, besides my own. I've checked several popular books I have on my Vox, and I get the likes and dislikes, and how many are reading them, but no comments...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
This is still new, so I'm not surprised many haven't been using it yet. Hopefully once Pulse is rolled out onto the Touch and Wifi models we'll see an increase in people actively using Pulse.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The big uptick will happen when Pulse is released and syncing for the Touch, WiFi, regular Android and iOS.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
easterncoyote
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The big uptick will happen when Pulse is released and syncing for the Touch, WiFi, regular Android and iOS.
So do comments made from the Vox now not sync with comments made on a Touch or other device? That would kind of defeat the point, but it would explain why my comment made from my Vox doesn't show up from another device.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

What happens in Pulse, stays in Pulse--and right now, the Touch doesn't have Pulse. Comments shared on Facebook can come from both, of course.