Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
special format lost in conversion - epub to mobi

a have , in a set of books, an element of format which changes in epub to mobi conversion:

in epub source, the 1st letter of each chapter is styled so that it is as large as 3 lines & extends down the side of lines 2 & 3. i,e, the letter I which begins the para below will appear in epub as 3 lines deep, and text will flow to the side of it.
the relevant css is
span.dropcaps {
float: left;
font-size: 50px;
line-height: 50px;
padding-top: 1px;
margin-top: -.09em;
margin-right: .09em;
}
p.nonindent{
text-align: justify;
}

span.small{
font-size: x-small;
}

epub text
IT WAS not until the late afternoon that Cecilia judged the vase repaired. It had baked all afternoon on a table by a south-facing window in the library, and now three fine meandering lines in the glaze, converging like rivers in an atlas, were all that showed...
Code:
<p class="nonindent"><span class="dropcaps">I</span><span class="small">T WAS</span> not until
when calibre converts that to .mobi, it aligns that large letter I so that the bottom of the I lines up with text line 1 & the I towers above the line. then there is whitespace between line 1 & what follows

is that simply a mobi limitation or is there stuff I can do to make mobi look same as epub ?

I can try to create pictures if my description is not clear, though I am not sure how - screen grabs of both epub & mobi in the calibre viewer I suppose would work.

this is what is see in epub, where the letter I occupies the position of the 3 Xs
X text line 1
X text line 2
X text line 3

& in mobi I see

X
X
X text line 1
...whitepasce
text line2...

i could of course remove the special styling from that 1st letter, & then both formats would be the same, but the epub styling is classy, I'd like to keep it in mobi if at all possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Picture.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	67387   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Picture (1).jpg
Views:	388
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	67390  

Last edited by cybmole; 02-26-2011 at 01:04 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Mobi doesn't support dropcaps.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i thought that might be the case.

I will keep the epub as-is and accept that it will not look as good in mobi - thanks.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote