Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Clarificartion on Clippings

Apologies if I missed this somewhere, or did not understand something that was really obvious.

Can someone clarify the situation regarding clipping text from books (both bought and those created by one's own fair hands) on the PRS600:

Can text be highlighted and "clipped" out of the book / document in text format and then transferred to a PC for use in Word or another program ?

Thanks,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Can text be highlighted and "clipped" out of the book / document in text format and then transferred to a PC for use in Word or another program ?
If you want to do that from the reader then the
* short answer is: No.
* long answer is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55079

Then there is always the option to do this kind of stuff directly on the computer. If you have a non DRM protected document, then there are plenty of programs around that let you extract or convert parts of the text.

Last edited by drmaxx; 02-17-2010 at 02:48 AM.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Actually, you can export your notes to rtf using the sony software. I have succesfully exported highlighted text along with my notes. I'm not sure if it works even if there are no notes to go with the highlighted text, I haven't tried. I believe there is a limit to the amount of highlighted text that you can transfer per note, 100 characters or so.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Actually, you can export your notes to rtf using the sony software. I have succesfully exported highlighted text along with my notes. I'm not sure if it works even if there are no notes to go with the highlighted text, I haven't tried. I believe there is a limit to the amount of highlighted text that you can transfer per note, 100 characters or so.
Sorry, missed that!
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

More than 100 characters on own documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Is there any limit on documents created by yourself, i.e. not DRM'd bought books ? So, could I clip out longer passages ?
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Yep. The 100 character restriction applies to all books.

There is another trick that you can use. You could 'Russify'(1) your reader, giving you the ability to take screen shots (among other things). This to me seems to be the most elegant solution so far.

(1) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64161
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thanks - 100 characters ? mystifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Yep. The 100 character restriction applies to all books.

There is another trick that you can use. You could 'Russify'(1) your reader, giving you the ability to take screen shots (among other things). This to me seems to be the most elegant solution so far.

(1) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64161
Thanks for the reply. I loaded up the desktop Reader and experimented (I don't have a Sony Reader yet - or probably never now). Even with my own documents, only 100 characters could be clipped !! Why Sony ? Must have something to do with copyrights. But my own documents ?

Come on Sony, not sure of the benefit of this.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
They says that it's to do with copyright. I can't see the sense of it either.

I'm going to try the russification hack. I'll report back when I do.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clipping, clippings, text to pc