Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #181
stewball
Enthusiast
stewball has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500
It works fine with 2.6.1. I have it working fine on a Vista laptop, and a Windows 7 desktop.

Stew
stewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #182
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
Thank YOU!!!!!! for all your hard work!! I have never tried any python scripts before this. Worked wonderfully for me!! Windows XP for me!

I get Amazon gift certificates cause family just doesn't "get" that just cause I have an ebook reader does not mean I can read the ebooks at Amazon - even if I tell them to go to Fictionwise. I also get Amazon gift certificates when I use my cc points. Now I can use those to buy ebooks at Amazon... I am SO thrilled!! Thank you again!

Last edited by LauraLynn; 12-22-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added more ;)
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #183
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLynn View Post
Thank YOU!!!!!! for all your hard work!! I have never tried any python scripts before this. Worked wonderfully for me!! Windows XP for me!

I get Amazon gift certificates cause family just doesn't "get" that just cause I have an ebook reader does not mean I can read the ebooks at Amazon - even if I tell them to go to Fictionwise. I also get Amazon gift certificates when I use my cc points. Now I can use those to buy ebooks at Amazon... I am SO thrilled!! Thank you again!
Laura, just check first and make sure you're not buying Topaz titles, as yet there is no "fix" for those.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #184
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Any way to tell before purchasing which book type they are? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #185
mikeage
mikeage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
download a sample. Files that end in .azw are regular (PRC) mobi DRM. Files that end in .azw1 (OTA) or .tpz (USB transfer) are Topaz.
mikeage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #186
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #187
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeage View Post
download a sample. Files that end in .azw are regular (PRC) mobi DRM. Files that end in .azw1 (OTA) or .tpz (USB transfer) are Topaz.
All Kindle for PC books appear to be .prc though - so you can only check that if you have an actual Kindle?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #188
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
All Kindle for PC books appear to be .prc though - so you can only check that if you have an actual Kindle?
Huh? First I've heard of that....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 AM   #189
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
My understanding is that if you look at the product details and it doesn't list a file size, then it's Topaz. If there is a file size listed, it's Mobi.

Edit: Yes, all the files I've downloaded for K4PC have had a .prc extension, and I've downloaded both Topaz and Mobi files.

Last edited by KarenH; 12-23-2009 at 04:08 AM.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #190
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My understanding is that if you look at the product details and it doesn't list a file size, then it's Topaz. If there is a file size listed, it's Mobi.

Edit: Yes, all the files I've downloaded for K4PC have had a .prc extension, and I've downloaded both Topaz and Mobi files.

That's an indicator, but I've also heard that is not always true. I've not experienced it personally though. So far all the books I've purchased from Amazon have been mobi either by using the above method or by luck.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #191
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You are correct about the .prc for topaz or azw books on the Kindle for PC.

You don't need an actual kindle though to check before you buy. Just open Kindle for PC and download a sample chapter. Then run unswindle.pyw on it. If the sample is topaz the script will tell you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-23-2009 at 05:07 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #192
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You are correct about the .prc for topaz or azw books on the Kindle for PC.

You don't need an actual kindle though to check before you buy. Just open Kindle for PC and download a sample chapter. Then run unswindle.pyw on it. If the sample is topaz the script will tell you.

....sorry I'm confused about formats

.prc is the mobi format. For some reason I was thinking it was EReader.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-23-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #193
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
....sorry I'm confused about formats

.prc is the mobi format. For some reason I was thinking it was EReader.
You and I both. Just when you think you have it down they go and twist things up again.

Apparently on the kindle itself the files are the way you described them azw or tpz. Since I don't own a Kindle I don't know. I do know how they appear in Kindle for PC and for some reason they chose .prc as the extension for both topaz and azw formats.

I have actually bought a normal encrypted book and had success with the script and I downloaded a sample of a book I knew to be tpz and sure enough the script told me that it was beyond it's ability because it was tpz.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #194
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Open the file in a hex editor. Position 60 - 68 will say BOOKMOBI for azw files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #195
stewball
Enthusiast
stewball has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500
I open the samples with UltraEdit, and the TPZ one's will say TPZ0 on the first line. As stated in an earlier post, the Mobi files will say BOOK MOBI in the first few lines also.

All files coming from Kindle For PC and grabbed from a backup of the iPhone/IPOD Touch are all PRC extension.

Stew

EDIT: And Ereader files are PDB.

Last edited by stewball; 12-23-2009 at 10:12 AM.
stewball is offline   Reply With Quote