Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony 600, 300, or 505? I've finally decided!

I've been thinking about which reader to buy for the longest time, and I've finally chosen one that I believe to be the best fit for me.

Here are the questions I asked myself over and over again while trying to make this difficult decision.

===
Q: Do I really need the faster processor and touch screen for reading technical documents?
A: It would be nice, but I suppose I can try to manage without it.
Q: Is the added glare from the touch screen, which is an issue for some but not others, likely to bother me?
A: Probably, since I do most of my reading in a dimly lit room, with a small bedside lamp over my shoulder. Note: I don't want to use a clip on reading light.
Q: Is it worth the $399 Canadian price tag for touch screen, speed, and a built in dictionary? (note: I am not interested in the annotation feature)
A: I think not. When you add a case and sales tax to that, the total approaches $500 Canadian. Ouch!
Verdict: Looks good. If only the price was lower...

===
Q: Do I care about the missing features?
A: Not really.
Q: Do I care about portability?
A: Nope.
Q: Will a 5" screen be big enough?
A: I don't think so.
Q: Does the 300 have any real advantage over the 505?
A: None that I can think of.
Verdict: Doesn't seem to be the right reader for me.

===
Q: Will I be able to read technical docs?
A: If they're properly formatted and are mostly text based, I can probably manage. If not, then I'll just wait another year or two and see what larger screen readers are available. Maybe I'll be rich by then...
Q: Does the current price of $275 Canadian from shoprbc.com work for me?
A: Yes. With $10 shipping and tax it comes to a total of $301 Canadian. The 300 plus a cover is more expensive than that. If I wait any longer for the price to come down, there might not be any more 505's to be had. Also, I've noticed that people rarely have anything bad to say about the 505. It seems to be already considered a classic in the ebook reader world, and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to experience owning and using one for myself.
Verdict: Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner! I ordered my 505 yesterday!
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ooh congrats! Good choice
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Good choice!!
**says the lady with the 505**

I like how you made your decision.

I take my 505 everywhere with me and use it everyday. Not as much in the summer (only about 3-4 hours a day during the week - longer on days off), but I plan on reading much more this winter.

I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. Have fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been working on this decision for a good 3 years. When I first started thinking about it, the question was "which one should I buy, the PRS-500 or the Irex Iliad?".

I'm happy to have finally made up my mind after all this time.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote