Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Hardware vs. Software

I noticed something this week that I thought was interesting. I live in NYC and ride the subway to and from work for about 45 minutes each way. On my commute over the last few weeks since I became a Kindle owner, I've seen maybe 3 people who are reading on a Kindle 2, none on a Kindle 1 (though I have seen some "in the wild" before) but maybe 10 people reading on an iPhone with Kindle software. Those are interesting numbers and I wanted to see what other people's observation was; are people seeing a lot of K2 and K1s on the street? How about people reading on an iPhone?

I'm curious because my theory is that amazon should open the mobile phone platform a lot more to allow people to read their own content because it would spur sales of both ebooks and Kindles as well. What do others think?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have seen 2 total since I have started reading... and it has been a little over a year for me. I actually only know of 1 other K1 and that is the one that I bought my sister...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
... maybe 10 people reading on an iPhone with Kindle software
I have a picture in my mind of you peering over people's shoulders, trying to figure out if they are reading a book on their iPhones, and, if they are, what software they are using.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I have a picture in my mind of you peering over people's shoulders, trying to figure out if they are reading a book on their iPhones, and, if they are, what software they are using.
Lol, same here. Chances are, a lot more people are using one of the older apps such as Stanza, eReader, etc, if they are in fact reading an ebook. The current version of the Amazon Kindle app leaves much to be desired.

If you just glimpse a bunch of text on the screen, it could just be a webpage in Safari or people checking their email.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-16-2009 at 10:57 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I've seen 1 Kindle in the wild on an Airplane last fall. I see people with iPhones everywhere of course but never pay attention to what they're doing.

But yes, multifunction devices are what will really help expand the eBook market. Most people probably don't read enough to shell out money (especially at current ereader prices) for a device that does nothing but read books. But they probably would grab some ebooks if some multifunction device they have has an easy and intuitive ebook feature built in.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, same here. Chances are, a lot more people are using one of the older apps such as Stanza, eReader, etc, if they are in fact reading an ebook. The current version of the Amazon Kindle app leaves much to be desired.

If you just glimpse a bunch of text on the screen, it could just be a webpage in Safari or people checking their email.
Well I'm certainly peering over people's shoulders and trying to figure it out, just as you would imagine but I don't think I'm mistaken about what I'm seeing. I think I know my iphone apps, especially the ebook readers, cuz I've tried them all. I also think that it's about 10-100 times more likely these days that someone is using the Kindle app than it is that they're using any other.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have never seen anyone on a kindle (or any ebook reader) irl, and I have never seen people reading books on any mobile device.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #8
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
i have seen many people in subway readin on kindle
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote