Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
On cleaning LCD screens

Are the colors of your LCD screen rather murky at times? Chances are that you suffer from a wide-spread phenomena: dust caught on your screen. I simply hate it! Little dust particles attracted by static electricity. A quite irritating, almost every day experience. And I am not even talking about dust trapped under the screen, which would drive me completely nuts. Moosberg from WSJ has some good advises how to clean a laptop-, or more generally any LCD screen:

It's best to avoid household cleaners and common rags or cloths or paper products. I advise using a commercial product that includes a liquid cleaning solution and special soft cloths specifically designed for the LCD screens laptops use. These cleaners can also be used on flat-panel TV screens and flat-panel desktop monitors. There are a number of brands, but I've had good success with one called Klear Screen, available in stores or at www.klearscreen.com.

The same company makes a product called iKlear, which is for Apple laptops, and a Dell version for Dell laptops, but I assume the products are all basically the same, and this is just a marketing ploy. I don't believe the screens Apple and Dell use are any different from most others. They all come from a handful of suppliers in Asia.

I am curious to know how you take care of your LCD screens. Do you actually use special equipment as advised by Mossberg?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't use any special LCD cleaning cloths, but because I wear reading glasses sometimes, I already have those single packet lens wipes for eyeglasses which seem to work great.

But I should point out I'm not too worried about my main screen because I basically only have to clean a screen protector. I don't know how people can live without one of those. Invariably I get scratches from games, or when there's grit or a scratch on my stylus. And having a permanent scratch on my screen really annoys me, even if the equivalent scratch on my screen protector is no big deal. Go figure.

Anyway, I am using a real cheap screen protector off eBay right now because I don't play games or do graffiti on my Treo650, so it doesn't really matter much to me how nice it feels with a stylus or how well it protects. In fact, I just cut one of the ones I already had, because almost all screens are bigger than the Treo screen!

Back to the lens wipes... They are supposed to not scratch eyeglass lenses. Even a cloth or tissue leaves scratches, so I agree that they shouldn't be used on a PDA screen.

The lens wipes are also not very wet, so I don't worry about drips. And I also can use it on the cameral lens, although sometimes I wonder if real lens paper would be even safer for that.

Look for a sale on a box of them if you don't have them on hand already for your eyeglasses... they can be very expensive if you don't find a bargain brand or sale price. I think WalMart or Sam's Club had them at a reasonable price if you're near one of their stores.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't use screen protectors because I find them more irritating than helpful. And I've also tried those more expensive ones from Brando HK. On the other hand, I don't play games that require the stylus a lot and I am usually very careful when using it. So far not a single visible scratch on my X50v (*knock on wood*).

To clean my LCD screens (both from my laptop and my PDAs), I use a microfiber cloth with a bit of water. The cloth I bought in a home depot store for six bucks or so.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
not-rlauzon
Nameless Being

Wipe Outs

D.O.C. (the company that makes eye glasses) makes some pretty cheap cleaning wipes called WipeOuts and I found that they work very well to keep my PDA's clean.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
I typically use this to clean my powerbook screen. For my PDA's, I just use the cloth that came with my Boxwave screen protectors. They work great.
johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert