Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
WW2 Fiction

Does anyone have any recommendations for fiction set in WW2? To narrow that down, any fiction about WW2 combat and fighting?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for fiction set in WW2? To narrow that down, any fiction about WW2 combat and fighting?
That's a pretty broad theatre of operations. (Yeah pun intended, so shoot me.)
I would suggest starting with Allistair McLeans's "The Guns of Navarone". Probably the first WW2 fiction novel that I ever read, and I still consider it one of the finest.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
That's a pretty broad theatre of operations. (Yeah pun intended, so shoot me.)
I would suggest starting with Allistair McLeans's "The Guns of Navarone". Probably the first WW2 fiction novel that I ever read, and I still consider it one of the finest.
Also Where Eagles Dare - Alistair McLean
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Battle Cry - Leon Uris
The Corp Series by WEB Griffin (the first 8) (Last 2 are Korea)
Second World War Series - Jeff Shaara (4 books)
Billy Boyle Series - James R Benn (WWII Mysteries)
Pacific Glory - P. T. Deutermann
Sentinels of Fire - P. T. Deutermann
Ghosts of Bungo Suido - P. T. Deutermann
Destiny in the Pacific - John F. Schork
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
An old favorite, Twelve O'Clock High! by Beirne Lay Jr. & Sy Bartlett

Not fiction, but two old favorite WWII stories (memoirs)...
Those Devils in Baggy Pants by Ross S. Carter
You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger by Roger Hall

Some Goodreads links...
World War II Fiction
Popular World War 2 Fiction Books

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-03-2015 at 02:42 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Try Nicholas Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea and Three Corvettes or Dudley Pope's Decoy & Convoy.
Douglas Reeman also wrote a number of novels with a WWII naval setting.

Not forgetting Jack Higgins' The Eagle Has Landed and its sequel The Eagle Has Flown.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
+1 for The Cruel Sea and The Guns of Navarone.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My favorite is actually a post WWII book about the time period of the allied invasion and occupation of Germany, Armagedon by Leon Uris. I also have Mila 18 cued up to read. It's about German occupied Warsaw Poland

Last edited by drofgnal; 09-05-2015 at 05:40 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
Band of Brothers and D-Day by Ambrose are both good. Band of Brothers reads more like a novel and D-day more like nonfiction, both are excellent though.
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
If you don't mind scifi and have a lot of time to read Harry Turtledoves World War series is probably the closest I've read. It basically deals with an alien invasion which occurs during the second world war and I found the whole idea of how countries already at war and historical figures react really quite interesting.

It's a massive read though with tons of characters from different countries almost in a Game of Thrones kind of way, pretty much every chapter switches character.

Probably isn't what your after but I decided to throw it out there.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I read "Execution" by Colin McDougall a few months ago, and found it to be very good. The story is based on the author's experiences in the Canadian army fighting in the Italian campaign. There's plenty of action, but the overall tone is very cynical toward the war (the typical attitude of a veteran infantryman). The book won the Governor General's Award when it was released in 1958, and was reprinted in 2005. I don't see any ebook version of this on Amazon, unfortunately, so it may not be easy to get ones hands on this outside of Canada.

If you're looking for a book where the good guys triumph over the evil enemy, then avoid this one.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
How about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows and War on the Margins by Libby Cone? Both are set in the Channel Isles during the time of German occupation.

I also enjoyed A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell, set in Italy toward the end of WWII.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Semper Fi by W.E.B. Griffin is pretty good. It's the first of his Corps series.

The main character reminds me of Bobby Shaftoe in the Cryptonomicon.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Rick Atkinson's "Liberation" trilogy, which began with "An Army At Dawn", winner of the Pulitzer a few years ago. Richard Hooker's "M.A.S.H.", the book they took the tv series from was superior and a hoot.

And yay for Nicholas Monsarrat and Douglas Reeman!

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-29-2015 at 06:40 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Rick Atkinson's "Liberation" trilogy, which began with "An Army At Dawn", winner of the Pulitzer a few years ago. Richard Hooker's "M.A.S.H.", the book they took the tv series from was superior and a hoot.

And yay for Nicholas Monsarrat and Douglas Reeman!
oops, on further thought, M.A.S.H. was Korean War.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Tales of the South Pacific (Michener)
The Young Lions, Irwin Shaw
The Enemy Within, Michael Gilbert (set in a PoW Camp in Italy; one of the British prisoners is a ring-in.)
Run Silent Run Deep (submarine warfare in the Pacific)

(Just off the top of my head.) I've read them all, some a long time ago. The Gilbert book is rare now, but very good-- it's also a sort of whodunit.

One I remember vividly even now, not having read it for many years, is called Always Tomorrow, by John Leeming. He starts off with an opening para which reads more or less, from memory:

"When my son asks his Daddy what he did in the War, I tell him I threw 5 million pounds in gold into the Mediterranean..."

Not fiction though, but a true story, and quite funny as I remember it. I haven't seen a copy for years, worse luck.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote