Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
time to upgrade? 1.9.14 to 2.5.1

Hi

I've been on firmware 1.9.14 for a long time. At the time each firmware was worst than the last. I found one that worked well enough for me and stuck with it. I was wondering what was the current state of the firmware and if it would be safe enough to upgrade without loosing everything on my e-reader. Is it easy to revert back to my old firmware if something goes wrong?(I'm sure I have the old firmware file somewhere.)

Thanks
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm on 2.1.5 (On my Glo, and I think on my Touch). I use it with the plugin and custom font because it gives me chapter progress and a simple home screen. For straight reading it works well.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you want to go back, make sure you havea copy of the firmware file and take a copy of the database on the device. Then you can install the firmware and replace the database with the copy.

The upgrade should go OK without losing anything. But, I have never tried or heard of anyone making that big a jump in version. I know the upgrade will work after a factory reset, but that is starting from an empty device. If there is a problem, it will be because of the database can't be migrated properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Whether it's worth it is a decision only you can make. TBH I upgrade with every new version because I've never yet experienced a "show-stopper" bug. All the bugs to do with incorrect rendering etc are minor to me. As long as the thing doesn't randomly freeze or reboot I'm ok (actually that may have happened once or twice).

The other thing is I don't rely on the device itself for not "losing everything" - all my ebooks are backed up in several places and especially in Calibre so I can re-load them if needed. In fact sometimes when I want to do a "spring-clean" rather than delete a lot of books I'll do a factory reset, upgrade the firmware and then only add back the ones I want. Actually, I haven't done that for a while because I've been using the Calibre Reading Lists plugin to manage what's on my various devices.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i waited ages to update to 2.4 and apart from a few glitches (sometimes slow page turns or double page turns) no real issues with that update, i updated to 2.5.1 today and going to sleep seems to have sped up when you turn it to sleep but fingers crossed am happy with the upgrade.

have decided now will probably upgrade within the first couple of weeks of a release
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
well...I'm trying an update right now. I backed up my database and made sure I had the old firmware somewhere.

it seems to have worked I'm now on 2.5.1. I'll know if it was worth it next time I read a book! Like someone said it was one huge jump between the 2 versions. I was afraid it wouldn't work.

page turn does seem slower at first and margins are huge...but it may be me.

thanks for your advice

Last edited by psy65; 04-27-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
As long as you are not trying to read PDFs I would say that 2.5.1 is just as good as 1.9.14.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote