Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast
chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
debian on kindle touch?

IS there any chance that the "debian on paperwhite" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195702 works on k5? all the information is scattered around the thread and i have seen no obvious indication that it works or how to do it. So my question is : Does the debian work on k5? and if so how might I go about doing it. I do have some experience with debian
chr1st0ph3rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Debi...n_Kindle_Touch

if you search around a bit on this forum, you might even be able to find a prebuilt image... All in all, it takes a bit of effort to get it all working right. When all is good, you can apt-get most of debian. To run graphical programs, you need to jump through other hoops to get it running, like using Xephyr to display the program. Much, much time spent on this. Some things work great, others not so much. Good luck!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast
chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.

the problem is, I don't even have a linux box to debootstrap it on. having graphical programs would be cool but not really nescessary. does anyone have a prebuilt image maybe they could upload tp dropbox or google drive?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1st0ph3rc View Post
the problem is, I don't even have a linux box to debootstrap it on. having graphical programs would be cool but not really nescessary. does anyone have a prebuilt image maybe they could upload tp dropbox or google drive?
There should be one either mentioned in a post or attached to a post in the thread(s) on that subject.

BUT: - you will not be able to update it on your Kindle, not enough free ram (and no swap running).

So get a Linux LiveCD in which to do your work, both the initial creation and the maintenance. Pick one that allows you to write to external storage (such as USB stick). Called: File Persistence in the world of LiveCDs.

On the menu for today, your choice of 312 flavors:
http://livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux
Undecided?
Try Knoppix - its a good choice for Linux Newbees:
http://livecdlist.com/knoppix
Also very easy to transfer to a USB stick, once you boot from it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

cool! Any suggestions for searching? Wouldn't the distro have to be debian to run debootstrap though?
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have debian in a chroot on my paperwhite.
Follow this (as stated above): https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Debi...n_Kindle_Touch

It works flawlessly, I can access it from kterm and everything in it works. I haven' tried running X apps yet because I'm too lazy to set up xephyr or play with it much.

Last edited by discopig; 07-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
cool! Any suggestions for searching? Wouldn't the distro have to be debian to run debootstrap though?
Knoppix is a "Debian" distribution. It draws from the Debian repositories.

I am still using the version 6.2, which is fairly stable on my gateway box:
Code:
root@Microknoppix:~# uptime
 00:41:10 up 473 days,  9:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
Only difference in mine above - it is installed on the internal ssd rather than an external flash stick.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207052

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=50

read the whole thread. I would update it on a PC running linux, then transfer it over.

Last edited by brianinmaine; 07-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=50

read the whole thread. I would update it on a PC running linux, then transfer it over.

The links to "drpbox" (drop box sub-domain) are broken at the moment.
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com

Will have the ones in the linked-to post fixed within a few hours.

PS:
Not only had I forgotten where on the forum twobob's images where linked at, I also forgot that I was the one hosting them.

Edit: Fixed:
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/debian.ext3
But you should still read the above linked thread of twobob's.

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

Thanks all. So just to be clear: I put debian.ext3 on /mnt/us/ then run debian.sh and then run startx.sh? wish I had a little rep to share but will do as much as I can haha.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks all. So just to be clear: I put debian.ext3 on /mnt/us/ then run debian.sh and then run startx.sh? wish I had a little rep to share but will do as much as I can haha.
The string of Thank You smilies is more than we usually get.

"startx" starts the GUI (x-server), should not be required if only using the command line.

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

I tried the debian.sh script and it keeps saying that the mountpoints do not exist. None of the parts are working. The /mnt/debian does not exist, neither does /mnt/debian/dev or proc or sys or pts. Can't create mnt/debian/etc/hosts pretty much everything with /mnt/debian. The image is supposed to go in /mnt/us/debian.ext3 correct?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

I have never used it myself, I just host it for twobob.

Maybe someone who has used it can comment.

Otherwise, I guess it is just a matter of reading the script and fixing whatever might be wrong.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
tried the debian.sh script and it keeps saying that the mountpoints do not exist. None of the parts are working. The /mnt/debian does not exist, neither does /mnt/debian/dev or proc or sys or pts. Can't create mnt/debian/etc/hosts pretty much everything with /mnt/debian. The image is supposed to go in /mnt/us/debian.ext3 correct?
This thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195702 has all the answers to all the questions.
I already do not remember anything like I did =)
My Debian is on a separate sd card in uncompressed form.

Last edited by khseal; 07-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

Read the thread and no they don't. Nobody else had problems with the chroot that I had. "This thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195702 has all the answers to all the questions."