Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
FriendlyFire
FriendlyFire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Uses for a Vox?

So I've just realized that I still had a Vox gathering dust around here. I was so disappointed with the hardware that I shelved it quickly and bought an Asus Transformer tablet + Kobo Glo and never looked back.

I was now thinking whether there was any sort of use for the Vox that would somewhat justify the $250 invested in it. It seems like Kobo's quickly dropped the product in favor of the Arc with no concern for shafted users, but that shouldn't really surprise me considering the hardware.

What I'm looking for is a purpose for the Vox. It's still running pitifully outdated Gingerbread, I can't keep it running for more than a few hours without a reset and it's so sluggish that gaming or even magazine reading feels like a pain. I'd thought of using it to replace my Dash alarm clock which is getting phased out (at least that worked well and only cost me $100), but then I remembered that the Vox has this horrible tendency to freeze up and thus that makes it a fairly terrible alarm clock.

So basically, what uses are there for the Vox besides reading books, for which my Glo is much more competent in just about every respect?
FriendlyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
photo frame, frisbee, paperweight, coaster, serving tray. at least i can watch tv on the arc when i have wifi.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remote control (via WiFi) for an XBMC media center
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
What were you hoping to use it for when you bought it? Mine was a gift and all I wanted was an eReader. It's a great reader night or day so long as I plug it in every other day or so, whenever the level drops below 40% or 50%. The Vox was always a superb reader that could work as a browser in a pinch. I never expected anything else from it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
My son uses mine for watching movies on road trips. It's also good for reading books
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Reading on a Vox? Nah, that's just crazy talk

Much like Robin's son, mine used it to watch things on the train into Daycare. Now he doesn't have a train ride to Daycare it is sitting gathering dust. Photoframe is a good idea.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote