Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
Does Nook HD install android applications like Monn Reader that I have on My PC?

Hi, is it possible to install other android applications that I already have like " Moon Reader" and others not bought on the B&N store, or only the ones they sell? Shall I have to be restricted to their reader app? Tks for your help.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Unless you root it and install for example Google Play Store you are limited to the BN app store.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The HD and HD+ are as locked down as things get in the Android world. Apps are limited to the B&N app store (which is limited to the US & UK unless you work around that) or being sideloaded via ADB. Otherwise you'd need to root it as Asawi mentioned or use a N2A card.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
Many tks for your help.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Philistine
Philistine began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook Classic, Iphone 4S, Ipad 3
If you are looking to add Google Play and non Nook Apps to the HD, probably the easiest way to do it is to follow the instructions in the original post of this thread. The post is updated on a regular basis, and links to the files that you need are there.

I'd suggest reading it a couple of times first, there is a lot of information, but it is actually very straightforward. I did this a few days ago, and it took me about an hour, total (after I had read it).

You will need a blank SD card, and an SD card reader on your computer. He has step-by-step instructions, but essentially it is (for Windows):

download and extract a file to your computer (clockworkmod). Burn that image to your SD card using a specific program that is freeware. Copy over one or more of the zip files (do NOT unzip them) to the SD card, using windows explorer. Then put the SD card in the Nook and reboot, and follow the installation instructions in the post. (I also did a back-up of the Nook before I installed, using the clockworkmod interface on that SD card, which was easy enough to do.

He has several different options. I just installed the Gapps/Play Store plus extras zip.

Note, you do NOT need to root the Nook to get the google play store on, or to install apps directly from the stores. I didn't root mine, and I've put on the google play store, Amazon App store and another one and downloaded and installed apps from each. He does have a zip which allows you to painlessly root if that is what you desire.

If you have any specific questions about the process I'm happy to answer them if I can based on my experience.

--Philistine
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm52 View Post
Hi, is it possible to install other android applications that I already have like " Moon Reader" and others not bought on the B&N store, or only the ones they sell? Shall I have to be restricted to their reader app? Tks for your help.
Yes, you can install any app you want, but you need to use a PC and install using the ADB command. This requires installing the Android SDK (or a subset thereof).

The other option is to root.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The HD and HD+ are as locked down as things get in the Android world. Apps are limited to the B&N app store (which is limited to the US & UK unless you work around that) or being sideloaded via ADB. Otherwise you'd need to root it as Asawi mentioned or use a N2A card.
Wow - if what you're saying is accurate, I was out-and-out lied to by a BN rep. I've been looking at the HD+ and specifically asked whether I could buy and install apps from Google Play or other outside sources, and was told "Yes, absolutely."
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote