Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
OK, so after one chat and two calls, I got my answer. This number is not documented anywhere, according to the service rep, and she had to ask her supervisor, who said that 1MB is the limit. Anything 1 MB or larger needs to be downloaded through Wifi. Bummer.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
OK, so after one chat and two calls, I got my answer. This number is not documented anywhere, according to the service rep, and she had to ask her supervisor, who said that 1MB is the limit. Anything 1 MB or larger needs to be downloaded through Wifi. Bummer.
Good find. Disappointing result. At least it shows that any more 3G is not worth the increasing premium price over non-3G and decreasing features. The one benefit (for Amazon) of 3G is the ability to purchase books in a remote area without access to wifi. That also eliminates the "need" to shop around to find a cheaper price from a independend bookstore.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #63
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
DuckieTiger, it depends on what kind of books you read. The genres I read just tend to be on the large side. What is really strange is that once I started trying to reproduce the problem, most of my books downloaded fine, so I had to keep trying until I finally found one so I could tell the rep what the error message was. That was very bizarre! Previously the larger part of the books I tried did not download through 3G. And, BTW, the first answers I received were that there was no file size limit.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #64
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Of course they would tell you that there is no limit. I would have told you the same thing if you asked me if my old van had a governor in it. No it doesn't, why would it. Ask me again a week or two later and I would tell you this: Well now that you mention it, it appears there might be a governor in it as my engine shut off with a big rumble shortly before I reached 100 mph and would not inject gas again until I coasted down to 95. (I had a good reason to be in a hurry, don't ask please).

But all this aside, I made up my mind that I do not need 3G on my PW - once they are back for sale. My wifes KT benefits from beeing able to sync anywhere - even though she uses the syncing usually when she only takes her phone instead of lugging around 2 devices. In that case the KT stays home, well in reach of the wifi there.

Now I thought that is neat especially seeing it work so flawless. I enjoy reading on eink much more than on my phone, so I took my old PRS-300 out of storage until the PW arrives. When reading on phone I have to use black background with red text (the white is too bright to read comfortably over long periods of time) - and the kindle app won't let me switch to red text. So even if I wanted to, syncing with phone and PW won't do me no good.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote