Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
That was easy. Thank you. Just reinforces the idea that it isn't necessary to root a Fire.
If you want the wallpaper to stick. Get this app.

In Settings be sure to check Sleep Delay.
You can use any 1024x1024 wallpaper.

I'm currently testing this but someone here posted about it a week or so ago. It seems to work okay just testing what it does on battery life before I can recommend it more.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
What have your problems been with Google? Just curious as so many seem to like the Google stuff. I don't use it so I have no bias one way or the other. Just wondering what makes you dislike it.
I don't trust Google. They give off bad vibes.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
But for those that DO want to root here is a good video:

http://raywaldo.com/2012/01/kindle-fire-works-great/
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I've only needed root for two things - for the Android Market (despite the presence of alternative markets, the convenience of using the real Android Market app is really great) and to install the google calendar sync adapter so that I can use the pocket informant app (that I got as a free app of the day) or the google calendar app with my google calendar.

For most people, really not necessary.

From the Android Market I've gotten a few good and useful apps that aren't in Amazon's market: Battery Monitor Widget (highly recommended if you want to understand your Fire's power usage), Disk Usage, Dropbox, Ghost Commander, Mobo Player, Opera Mobile, QuickPic, Titanium Backup. I'm sure I could have gotten them from elsewhere but the market app makes it easy to find them, get them and update them.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I've only needed root for two things - for the Android Market (despite the presence of alternative markets, the convenience of using the real Android Market app is really great) and to install the google calendar sync adapter so that I can use the pocket informant app (that I got as a free app of the day) or the google calendar app with my google calendar.

For most people, really not necessary.

From the Android Market I've gotten a few good and useful apps that aren't in Amazon's market: Battery Monitor Widget (highly recommended if you want to understand your Fire's power usage), Disk Usage, Dropbox, Ghost Commander, Mobo Player, Opera Mobile, QuickPic, Titanium Backup. I'm sure I could have gotten them from elsewhere but the market app makes it easy to find them, get them and update them.
BadA$$ Battery Monitor (Kindle fire edition) is worth the price at the app store for monitoring the KF battery. It's like a buck. It also has a widget that works well with Go! Launcher. The developer's has fine tune the app just for the KF now if only he add alarms to it.
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
hoosiermama
Enthusiast
hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I haven't rooted mine. I haven't rooted my phone either. I use an app to move apps from my phone to the Fire, so I can grab any app in the Android Market and use it on my Fire (if the app is compatible). I have Go on my Fire, but since I'm pretty much the only one who uses my Fire, I kind of like the stock launcher. I use Go on my phone, and I just don't want my Fire to look like a bigger version of my phone. I do use the rotating wallpaper app to have my own wallpapers.

I haven't seen a reason for me to root.
hoosiermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
enrigonz
enrigonz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire |iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiermama View Post
I haven't rooted mine. I haven't rooted my phone either. I use an app to move apps from my phone to the Fire, so I can grab any app in the Android Market and use it on my Fire (if the app is compatible). I have Go on my Fire, but since I'm pretty much the only one who uses my Fire, I kind of like the stock launcher. I use Go on my phone, and I just don't want my Fire to look like a bigger version of my phone. I do use the rotating wallpaper app to have my own wallpapers.

I haven't seen a reason for me to root.

One thing I agree very much on is that tablets shouldn't look like a big version of the phone like the iPad and iPhone does. Is good in my opinion to have things look different when it comes to these devices.

I rooted my Android phone to simply remove "bloatware" and to try to speed things up a little but I still see no compelling reason to do it with the Fire.
enrigonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
The less Google the better. I'm glad Amazon blocks google's apps.
You are glad that consumers have less choice?

Personally, I have bought quite a few apps on the android market, and I wouldnt buy a fire without the ability to use the apps I've purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I don't trust Google. They give off bad vibes.
Thats your rationale?!? Regardless, you are not forced to install the google frameroot after rooting, but that is my main reason for doing so.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post
One thing I agree very much on is that tablets shouldn't look like a big version of the phone like the iPad and iPhone does. Is good in my opinion to have things look different when it comes to these devices.

I rooted my Android phone to simply remove "bloatware" and to try to speed things up a little but I still see no compelling reason to do it with the Fire.
I prefer to have an Android screen to the default look. I like to be able organize things my way. The grey shelves got old quick and I really can't stand the annoying Carousel. I love having widgets too.

Agree on the no rooting. It isn't really needed.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Blossom,

I hope you try the Circle Launcher Widget. Numero Uno for organization on small screen tablets and to get to more of what you use the most easily.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
You are glad that consumers have less choice?

Personally, I have bought quite a few apps on the android market, and I wouldnt buy a fire without the ability to use the apps I've purchased.

Thats your rationale?!? Regardless, you are not forced to install the google frameroot after rooting, but that is my main reason for doing so.
Consumers have the choice to buy a Kindle fire or not. No one is forcing them. And the Kindle fire is selling like hotcakes. Just goes to show how much people really don't care about google.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #27
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Just goes to show how cheap people are.

<-- Me

It's not that people don't like Google, it's the fact that they don't make a tablet in the $199 range like Amazon has. Why do you think people get sucked into those "iPad for $50/free ads"? It's all about the price. And if you still don't believe me, look at the sucky Chinese ones that are $100 on Amazon and have HORRIBLE reviews

Why buy a $500 tablet when you'll spend $500 more on the apps/books/movies you'll use on it? Plus the $30+ a month to have 3/4G. The apps are worthless in two years anyway because they deprecate APIs all the time, and then the movies start looking iffy once the standard changes.

That's the main reason that puts me off from buying an iPad, because I've already invested about $1,000 on apps since I got my first iPhone the year it debuted. By the end of the year I will have invested $1,000 on the hardware all together (if the new one debuts). Luckily all my Amazon stuff is completely free with all the giftcards, but just my On Demand library is worth $1,000 ($5-7 season deals are amazing).

They already get most of the profit off the stuff we buy, yet they still expect to make money off the device itself. The fact that Amazon took this consideration benefits them AND the consumer. If Apple and Google followed the same idea, it would be a whole other story.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #28
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
The reason I use Battery Monitor Widget (in addition to the free version of badass battery monitor) is because it graphs current usage so you can watch the rate of charge/discharge. And it seems to more accurately estimate the runtime because it takes into account sleep time.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
The reason I use Battery Monitor Widget (in addition to the free version of badass battery monitor) is because it graphs current usage so you can watch the rate of charge/discharge. And it seems to more accurately estimate the runtime because it takes into account sleep time.
The paid version of BBM it much more accurate then the free and is made just for the Kindle Fire. the Free version isn't. It's just has minor tweaks. I have a feeling the price will probably go up so I would grab it while it's 99 cents.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
BadA$$ Battery Monitor (Kindle fire edition) is worth the price at the app store for monitoring the KF battery. It's like a buck. It also has a widget that works well with Go! Launcher. The developer's has fine tune the app just for the KF now if only he add alarms to it.
Blossom.
what is the widget in BABM that works with go launcher?
I have both but didn't notice anything?
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote