Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
CaseyAve
DoubleDeception.com
CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kindle
How Much To Charge For My New E-Book?

Hello Everyone! I am new to MobileRead, and a newly self-published author. I won't bore you with book plugging

QUESTION: HOW MUCH DO I CHARGE FOR MY NOVEL?
  • Does length have some bearing on price? My novel is 320 pages
  • Should I sell it cheap just to get the word out and build a fan base?
  • How can you make any money selling it for .99?
  • What is too much to pay for an e-book? I've read reviews that think 9.99 is too much and 1.99 is too little. (I don't want to sell myself short -It is not physically published - just ebook)
  • I'm on Amazon, smashwords, and Barnes and Noble - is there some formula that I am missing? I see books at all different prices!
  • Amazon claims to start promoting right away, do they do a good job? how long does it take to get selling?

Thanks for all your help!! I really appreciate it!

by the way....I initially priced it mistakenly at $9.99 (a little too ambitious I think)and I am planning on changing price today

Last edited by CaseyAve; 09-30-2011 at 12:53 PM.
CaseyAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
How many have you sold at that price? You will lose out on impulse buys at anything over £2 (don't know how much that is in dollars), but there's a psychological aspect to pricing too. Pricing it at the same level as "proper" publishers will make people think it is up to the same quality, and if it isn't you will get hammered with low ratings. If it is up to quality, you won't get many sales but you will make as much as you would if you had lots of sales at a lower price.

Amazon only seem to be promoting their own ebooks these days, now that they have their own imprint, so I wouldn't expect anyone to buy it at all if you don't pimp it yourself.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
One approach that some sucessfull electronic published author have used is that they write a series of novels and give away the first one for $0 to get your potential customers hooked then sell them the rest at least $5 each. I bought into that model a few times. I think that $10 is way to much, personally I would never touch anything at that level, does not matter who you are no one is worth that. I always recommend giving out a free preview of anything, perhaps the first page, I want to see your writting style before I put anything down.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
What you might want to do is think a little long term. Is this book the first in a series, or a stand-alone? Do you have other works like published short stories that you can release?

If it's the first in a series, you could price it lower than the others. Other authors have done this, and it's paid off for some. My view is to start at $2.99. You get the highest royalty, and your price is in line with other self-pubbed books. You can tinker later. Keep in mind that you can issue coupons through Smashwords. You can use that for giveaways, reviews, and so on.

As soon as you book is "live," people can buy it. That's not promotion, that's availability. You will have to promote. Mention your book to your friends through Twitter, FB, etc. Search for blogs that review your genre and send requests. Then start working on your next book. The more you have out, the more copies you're likely to sell.

Good luck!
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I agree with the previous poster. You want to go at least $2.99 so you get 70% royalty from Amazon.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Depends if is your first ebook or not. If you are unknown, people are probably going to be unwilling to pay much more than $3 to $4 dollars. 340 pages is a little on the shortish side for a Novel.

My first ebook was a short story so I set it at .99c just as a taster. For a month no one touched it. So as it was my first I let it go for free. 1500 Downloads later in 18 months, but then if they are all like me, I will download anything for free, because you have nothing to lose, and that maybe a way of getting yourself a following.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The plan I am following...

1) Plan a series as your debut
2) Release book one for FREE.
3) Get real honest people to review it and post reviews
4) List it every where you can (Smash helps get you in a lot of places, Amazon lets you self list, etc).
5) Promote the book on every site that will let you. Do not count on others to promote for you.
6) Release Book 2 at $2.99
7) Repeat steps 3,4,5
8) Release Book 3, judge price by demand that book 2 generated.
9) Repeat till you retire from writing.

This of course assumes your books are good and worth buying. This is a MULTI-YEAR plan to become successful. You need to build a name for yourself and create a demand for books with your name on them before you could get away with a $5 or $10 price tag.

That is my advice. Might be worth as much as you paid for it....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Quote:
1) Plan a series as your debut
2) Release book one for FREE.
I'm not an expert, but it makes a lot of sense. Not sure whether you can do so in an Amazon page, but you can try Cloudflood.com, which is a tool to let people download your book only after they tweeted or shared on Facebook about it.
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
I'm not an expert, but it makes a lot of sense. Not sure whether you can do so in an Amazon page, but you can try Cloudflood.com, which is a tool to let people download your book only after they tweeted or shared on Facebook about it.
To get your book out there for free, I recommend Smashwords.com which will let you list it for free, track it, post updates and spread it to all major ebook stores (cept Amazon) for free.

My book is currently free on Amazon, but that is because they eventually price matched all the other places that it was free (B&N, Apple, etc).
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, charge, money making, new ebook, price