Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Nabber
Nabber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Page turn has become incredibly slow

I've had my Kobo touch for several months now and have had no issues until just recently. Now the page turn has become very slow. I've counted about 10 seconds before it turns, if in fact it does turn. Sometimes I have to tap again and wait the 10 seconds again. I know 10 seconds doesn't sound like a long time but my Kobo used to be much quicker, even when reading the same book I am reading now.
Any thoughts on what's going on?
(battery life is showing half)
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Try cleaning the screen with a dry cloth, mine became somewhat nonresponsive one time but when i cleared the screen it became quite responsive again
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Touch does not have a "touch" screen. You simply break the infrared light when you touch the screen with your finger.

However it is a good idea to clean the light source around the edge once in a while.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Nabber

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried and it didn't work....
Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Nabber

And now it's even worse!!! so close to finishing my book and it takes forever to change pages.....argh!!!
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Try a paperclip reset.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
@Nabber: For the sake of investigation, try turning pages from earlier in that same book, hopefully in the part of the book where you remember having fast page turns. I'm wondering if the problem is specific to later pages.

I know with a magazine ePub I got, page turns were very slow between chapters/articles, but fine within a single article. I suppose the KT is pre-loading stuff, perhaps.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Does the slowness occur with any other books? I've experienced extreme slowness across multiple readers with a bad EPUB.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Nabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
@Nabber: For the sake of investigation, try turning pages from earlier in that same book, hopefully in the part of the book where you remember having fast page turns. I'm wondering if the problem is specific to later pages.

I know with a magazine ePub I got, page turns were very slow between chapters/articles, but fine within a single article. I suppose the KT is pre-loading stuff, perhaps.

As it turns out I think this is the issue as I managed to finish that book and when starting my newest book, the slowness is no longer an issue. So we'll see if it gets worse as I get closer to the end of a book. Luckily, I'm not reading a long book because it could become a real problem as it become minutes between pages near the end!!
Anyone know why????
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
It the ebook a PDF/Epub/Kepub/RTF/Mobi? Can you tell us if there are entries for each chapter when you view the Table of Contents via the menu? It may be that the entire book is one huge chapter and that is what is causing it to slow down page turns. As I understand it Epub files are renamed zip files that contain multiple files with chapters being separate files it reads into memory as it needs it. Not sure how other files are handled but I would guess in a similar manner.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, slow page turn