Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I'd like to see a TV series based on some of the short stories. It would make a change from the endless remakes of Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, and Hercule Poirot.
I agree but, let's face it, who has even heard of "Dr. Thorndyke" today? It's a tragedy that these stories have faded into such utter obscurity - especially when you consider their immense popularity in the early part of the 20th century.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #62
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
who has even heard of "Dr. Thorndyke" today?
Hardly anyone of course but, when every man and his dog has Internet access, that could easily change if there was even a pilot episode. There certainly a shortage of original material on TV lately.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Completely proof-read all four books in Vol 3, and corrected many hundreds of errors. Uploaded a new version of Vol 3. Vol 3 is now in a good state, so please let me know if any errors remain in it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #64
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
I agree but, let's face it, who has even heard of "Dr. Thorndyke" today? It's a tragedy that these stories have faded into such utter obscurity - especially when you consider their immense popularity in the early part of the 20th century.
Well, thanks to you I have

Strange because I like them better than the Sherlock Holmes tales. These are much more realistic.

Just downloaded volume 2, there is still plenty left to keep me occupied
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Completely proof-read all four books in Vol 4, and corrected many hundreds of errors. There were a great many missing words in this volume; in the vast majority of cases the correct word was obvious, but in a few instances I've had to make an intelligent guess as to what the word should be. Please let me know if you find any remaining errors in Vol 4.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #66
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hardly anyone of course but, when every man and his dog has Internet access, that could easily change if there was even a pilot episode. There certainly a shortage of original material on TV lately.
BBC are starting a new Sherlock Holmes series tomorrow. Set in 2010, and not the original stories. I'm not sure I can bear to watch it.
Why, when there's so much fresh material from the same era?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The movie with Robert Downey Jr. Was awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #68
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The movie with Robert Downey Jr. Was awful.
I liked it .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is an on-going thread for this series of books, so I'd appreciate it if you'd please keep it on topic.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #70
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

Strange because I like them better than the Sherlock Holmes tales. These are much more realistic.

Same here. I'm just about half-way through "The Red Thumb Mark". The similarities to the Holmes canon seem to be obvious and numerous. My question is: at the time these stories were published, was Dr Thorndyke interpreted by readers (and perhaps by Arthur Conan Doyle?) as an instance of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", or more as a knock-off of Sherlock Holmes?

HarryT, thanks to you and the others who contributed to this effort to make Dr Thorndyke available!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #71
Conor
Groupie

I take it you're referring to "Wisteria Lodge" (which was written before "The Red Thumb Mark")?
Offhand I can't of any other obvious similarities between the other stories of both characters.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I find Holmes and Dr. Thorndyke to be considerably different. Thorndyke solves crimes primarily by the use of science; Homes rarely, if ever does so. You won't find fingerprints mentioned in Holmes, even though the later Holmes stories were contemporary with Thorndyke.

I think it's a tragedy that the Thorndyke stories have been almost completely forgotten today. I think personally that they are extremely good. I'd certainly never even heard of them before I created these eBooks.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #73
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Offhand I can't of any other obvious similarities between the other stories of both characters.
Interesting. That was almost my first impression when I started reading "The Red Thumb Mark". Here are some the things that I found similar:

Two guys team up to fight crime. One's a doctor and the other is a forensics expert. The doctor chronicles their adventures and is continually surprised and amazed at the forensics expert's breadth and depth of knowledge. The doctor meets his future wife in one of their early shared cases. The forensics expert does chemical researches in their shared abode. Thorndyke doesn't seem to be quite as eccentric as Holmes (e.g. he hasn't shot the initials V.R. into the wall yet), and Mrs. Hudson is replaced by Polton, but yeah, I think there are similarities.

Last edited by rlparker; 08-03-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The "hero and his faithful sidekick" theme runs throughout literature. Conan Doyle certainly didn't invent it.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #75
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
The "hero and his faithful sidekick" theme runs throughout literature. Conan Doyle certainly didn't invent it.
You're right, of course. Then again, I didn't claim that he did. I only listed a few specific similarities that jumped out at me. My original question actually was about the contemporary critical reaction, but perhaps no one knows?

Anyway, I enjoyed "The Red Thumb Mark" and am proceeding with the next one. Thanks again for your work!